Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

just a thought... we had that weird fairly short one week period in early December 2013 but other then that didnt the "winter" really set in right about now in 2014 also?  The current pattern has a lot of similarities to that year.  We all know we also got really lucky that year on top of the pattern so I am NOT saying to expect that kind of outcome...just saying seeing similar type waves showing up right now maybe shouldnt be shocking with the pattern similarities.  

Yep, and it was like 80 degrees close to Xmas iirc. Lol. I haven't paid close attention to anything this year and only got interested when ens all agreed that the upper levels where it counts showed legit cold air delivery for the east. Then my next thought was "this sure reminds me of how things looked during JFM 14&15. 

Me and winterwxluvr constantly do the lite beer tastes great less filling thing. For my yard, no cold is no snow. Normal temps are in the 40s at their coldest for me. Without real cold air around I get F'd consistently. I always root for a cold pattern first before giving a crap about precip. Well, looks like an OK cold pattern + active storm track is on the way. Some of my biggest yard problems are going away for a time. All about storm track now and we all know a progressive -EPO/WAR pattern makes models look clueless if you track 50 mile shifts like a rabid dodig. In the upcoming pattern, if you're not expecting ops to jump all over in the mid range, you haven't been doing this long enough yet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BryanInMd said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 2.36.51 PM.png

Hypothetically, the storm would have a much larger precip shield that today's and won't scoot eastward at our latitude. So the potential for a larger storm geographically exists. However, as of right now, the shortwave is not modeled to be nearly as vigorous as the current where it counts in the MS Valley. That would imply lower qpf maxes in general compared today. 

None of this matters though. We have no idea what the shortwave will look like as it rounds the base of the trough. That makes or breaks everything. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, and it was like 80 degrees close to Xmas iirc. Lol. I haven't paid close attention to anything this year and only got interested when ens all agreed that the upper levels where it counts showed legit cold air delivery for the east. Then my next thought was "this sure reminds me of how things looked during JFM 14&15. 

Me and winterwxluvr constantly do the lite beer tastes great less filling thing. For my yard, no cold is no snow. Normal temps are in the 40s at their coldest for me. Without real cold air around I get F'd consistently. I always root for a cold pattern first before giving a crap about precip. Well, looks like an OK cold pattern + active storm track is on the way. Some of my biggest yard problems are going away for a time. All about storm track now and we all know a progressive -EPO/WAR pattern makes models look clueless if you track 50 mile shifts like a rabid dodig. In the upcoming pattern, if you're not expecting ops to jump all over in the mid range, you haven't been doing this long enough yet. 

@Bob Chill I love ya man but just give me precip and you’ll never hear a complaint. Ever. This cutoff was brutal. Literally 20 air miles south of me is a warning level snow. I got 3/4”. 10 miles north there is literally nothing. I hate missing because of precip. I can live with rain lol. We’ve had about 2” of precip here since Nov 1 :lol:

But I am happy you guys got a good snow. It’s fun seeing the excitement.

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

Looks like we're back to northern stream systems.  They tend to be drier and faster moving.

The low is in a nice spot, just doesn't stay there long.

Yep, I mean we'll all take whatever we can get but this one would appear to have a max potential to it of maybe 3-6"....Hopefully we can get some coastal enhancement like the Canadian shows and cash in on that

Looking at the very long range...what else is there to do but stare at my brown grass!   GEFS, CMC ens and EPS have a pretty nice signal out there around D12 for a coastal.  Obviously, I'm focussing on what is right in front us but just noting that having all 3 global ens look pretty similar that far out is not common.   

1642312800-YIesVrRCKFc.png

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Looking at the very long range...what else is there to do but stare at my brown grass!   GEFS, CMC ens and EPS have a pretty nice signal out there around D12 for a coastal.  Obviously, I'm focussing on what is right in front us but just noting that having all 3 global ens look pretty similar that far out is not common.   

1642312800-YIesVrRCKFc.png

Sorry u missed on out, but Thursday looks vey good for your area also. Thanks for the breakdown.

25 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

@Bob Chill I love ya man but just give me precip and you’ll never hear a complaint. Ever. This cutoff was brutal. Literally 20 air miles south of me is a warning level snow. I got 3/4”. 10 miles north there is literally nothing. I hate missing because of precip. I can live with rain lol. We’ve had about 2” of precip here since Nov 1 :lol:

But I am happy you guys got a good snow. It’s fun seeing the excitement.

Idk man. I get plenty of rain every single winter like clockwork. Usually 10" or more. Practically every single year. Sometimes they are dry and I get 7" of rain during met winter. Never embarrassingly low totals or not totals at all tho.  Snow? Give me cold on the balance and I'll never complain. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Honestly we probably wouldn't want a triple phased bomb anyways...most of the time they are going to cut even more than 1993 did and produce more rain than frozen precip along 95.  

We are about 7-8 miles west of I-95 and we had all frozen. Something like 8" snow (iirc wind made it hard to tell), then 3-4"  sleet. Guessing that most here would take such a storm again gladly.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic