Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

11 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

I personally just don't the progressive trends for Friday's event, would love to see a slightly more dug in s/w that moves to the coast slightly south of where it has. Like the idea of snow being pretty widespread across guidance, but we've seen the miller B history in the past. 

You'll be ok

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Clipper pattern for MLK weekend?

image.thumb.png.0ec95e63a4c8402313c6a3eea11f17f5.png

Models have been hinting of a storm near the 15 th or 16 th.  A time period of interest. Robust + PNA spike near this time frame and a elongated PV is forecasted as well.   

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I mean...THOSE are predictable (though I still hate hearing about NJ, NY, other northeast places getting it...but that's usually not too close of a call and rarely a forum divider unlike today)

Hudson Valley forecaster what do you think he's looking for

30 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

He had to say Miller B didn't he...lol I guess with every nina those are almost inevitable...

Set your sites reasonable. Expect an advisory level event. This is going to potentially be another event that we could steal within a week of being close to 20 degrees above normal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Set your sites reasonable. Expect an advisory level event. This is going to potentially be another event that we could steal within a week of being close to 20 degrees above normal.

Imagine the mood here if this is a 1-3” event for DC and Baltimore, only for it to bomb out further north and drop 8-12”+ from Philly to Boston. We all know a Miller B can do that.

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Imagine the mood here if this is a 1-3” event for DC and Baltimore, only for it to bomb out further north and drop 8-12”+ from Philly to Boston. We all know a Miller B can do that.

I'll be happy with that, would prefer a different outcome but already got my snow fix for a while. 

That is a pretty impressive 500mb vortex ready to plow over us on the NAM 84.    Only mentioning it cause the Euro was similar.    

That vortex is the driver of this potential event. Assuming it tracks  right over us as shown, it will ring out any available moisture in the atmosphere even if that's not much.

So if the H5 track holds and the surface is cold enough it can easily over-perform similar to the 1/6/2015 clipper.

55 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

12k NAM is a very solid looking storm.

Yes, it’s the 12k NAM at range. Sue me.

51 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, NAM is pretty solid for this storm.   Still a shit model, but when it's in line with other guidance, I guess it's worth mentioning.

Even if its a crap model its still better to have it look good than bad...even the NAM can sometimes be onto something if it's occasionally handling a detail better than the other guidance.  We've seen it happen.  People shouldn't have to apologize for mentioning a piece of evidence...even if its not something we weight as heavily as like a GFS or Euro run. 

19 minutes ago, Amped said:

That is a pretty impressive 500mb vortex ready to plow over us on the NAM 84.    Only mentioning it cause the Euro was similar.    

That vortex is the driver of this potential event. Assuming it tracks  right over us as shown, it will ring out any available moisture in the atmosphere even if that's not much.

So if the H5 track holds and the surface is cold enough it can easily over-perform similar to the 1/6/2015 clipper.

This is the type of system that can have very high ratios somewhere on the cold side of the boundary.  There can also be duel snow maxes with these types of systems, one max near the developing coastal and another further inland near the NS wave along the arctic boundary. 

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

This miller b has a southern stream component that starts in the gulf coast.  It's a miller b because there is some interaction and a jump to a coastal associated with the NS system but usually, and I do say usually because there can be situations where a messy transfer screws us with these also, but usually these are not the type that leave us really screwed while dumping just north of us.  Don't get me wrong, further northeast will do better...but its typically a more gradual increase with a miller b that originates to our south like this. 

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Even if its a crap model its still better to have it look good than bad...even the NAM can sometimes be onto something if it's occasionally handling a detail better than the other guidance.  We've seen it happen.  People shouldn't have to apologize for mentioning a piece of evidence...even if its not something we weight as heavily as like a GFS or Euro run. 

This is the type of system that can have very high ratios somewhere on the cold side of the boundary.  There can also be duel snow maxes with these types of systems, one max near the developing coastal and another further inland near the NS wave along the arctic boundary. 

This miller b has a southern stream component that starts in the gulf coast.  It's a miller b because there is some interaction and a jump to a coastal associated with the NS system but usually, and I do say usually because there can be situations where a messy transfer screws us with these also, but usually these are not the type that leave us really screwed while dumping just north of us.  Don't get me wrong, further northeast will do better...but its typically a more gradual increase with a miller b that originates to our south like this. 

Yeah I later looked at the maps more closely and figured that it's probably more of a hybrid, which often works fine for our area.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic