• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

Like a few others, I've had three straight season of below average snowfall. What keeps me sane is years of living down here being on the wrong side of the snow line - but also being a location that can sometimes max out big time due to ocean enhancement, or get clipped by scrapers that blue ball the rest of the population. I'm pretty grounded with expectations at this point in my life, and it's nice to know that I live in an area that provides occassional upside in snow and/or wind. 

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

ORH might be the most overdue place in the continental United States for some snow regression. For the last decade they’ve been far enough east, west, north, south for whatever the event calls for.

Dunno man...Taunton might take the cake. Interior SEMASS has absolutely destroyed. ORH is kinda in a nice spot, with elevation. 

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Steady snow picking up a bit on intensity. White rain mostly though, roads are wet. Non paved surfaces starting to stick. 

Getting ready to hunker down.

34F

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (1).gif

I'm at 32.5 now. If either the air or ground temp was just a couple degrees cooler, we'd be all coated up here. I've probably got 0.25" of slush on my glass patio table...but the grass is frosted at best and still bare in most spots. Nice dusting on the pine trees and leaf piles though. Exciting stuff :arrowhead:  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

I'm at 32.5 now. If either the air or ground temp was just a couple degrees cooler, we'd be all coated up here. I've probably got 0.25" of slush on my glass patio table...but the grass is frosted at best and still bare in most spots. Nice dusting on the pine trees and leaf piles though. Exciting stuff :arrowhead:  

Epic, bought to take a weenie drive to east haven to see the slightly heavier white rain and wet roads.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

this all makes me think why bother snowmobiling anymore. Seasons keep getting shorter

Or not.  The first of those no-12"+ seasons, 2018-19, set the standard for days with snow cover, reached 41" in early March and ranks behind only 07-08 for SDDs.
Approaching a full inch here, so the season's biggest snowfall.  :o

1 hour ago, George001 said:

The only good year was 17-18 in the past 5 years. Last year was ok, I had 2 12+ inch storms so it wasn’t by any means a bad winter, but we haven’t had a major slow moving blizzard that buries the region with 2 feet of snow since March 2018. Even if it’s not a great winter, if we get a massive blizzard like March 13th 2018, Jan 26th 2015, Feb 8 2013 ect, even if the rest of the winter is meh I’ll take it (I believe 2005-2006 one of Rays analogs was like that). Normally I’d rather just have the frequent 6-12s but it’s been a while since the last 2 footer so I’m hoping we see one this year.  

Of course, it has.  Since my birth in March 1946 there have been 8 storms of 24"+ at places where I was then living and 3 came in a 5-year period in NNJ.
The eight:
12/26-27/1947   NNJ
3/18-19/1956   NNJ
3/20-21/1958   NNJ
2/3-4/1961   NNJ
12/26-27/1976  Fort Kent, but I as visiting family in NNJ that Christmas week.
3/14-15/1984   Fort Kent
12/6-7/2003   New Sharon
2/22-23/2009   New Sharon
That NNJ run of 2-footers also included another 4 storms of 18"+, 2/15-16/58, 3/3-4/60, 12/12-13/60 and 1/19-20/61.  It would be another 8 years before the Mayor Lindsey storm hit that mark and 9 more before 2/78 reached it.   Nothing in my Maine experience (49 years on Jan 23) comes close, for 18"+ or 24"+.  From Jan 2015 thru March 2018 we had 4 storms of 20-21" but that big storm period is well isolated before and (so far) after.