Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was and still am lol. I just remember all the comments about "we don't have winters like we used to.....blizzard of 78 this and that...etc."   God am I glad we broke that in 92-93. 

But the new age weenies need to understand it's quite likely we overall will regress a bit, especially in cstl areas where the average snowfall has dramatically increased.

If the regression fairies really want to be most proficient, we'll have a slew of 12/92, 1/03 and 3/01 like gradients. The coast needs to bend over for awhile.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was and still am lol. I just remember all the comments about "we don't have winters like we used to.....blizzard of 78 this and that...etc."   God am I glad we broke that in 92-93. 

But the new age weenies need to understand it's quite likely we overall will regress a bit, especially in cstl areas where the average snowfall has dramatically increased.

I could be off base here but is it possible that due to the climate change induced increase in ocean temps that it is allowing storms to deepen more, leading to more really big storms? Long term I would think the negative influence of rising temps would eventually outweighs the positive influence of stronger storms and more precip (due to warming ocean temps), but for now it seems like the gains we have made in big storms have outweighed the losses in more marginal events. 

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

I could be off base here but is it possible that due to the climate change induced increase in ocean temps that it is allowing storms to deepen more, leading to more really big storms? Long term I would think the negative influence of rising temps would eventually outweighs the positive influence of stronger storms and more precip (due to warming ocean temps), but for now it seems like the gains we have made in big storms have outweighed the losses in more marginal events. 

There is some truth to that IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

this all makes me think why bother snowmobiling anymore. Seasons keep getting shorter

Omg really?  You got some  nice equipment, put it up for sale…folks will be beating the door down for it. 

I sled the county…the very northern part at that. It’s as good as it’s ever been. And I have to drive 9 hrs plus to get there, and it’s  always dam good..to excellent. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Radar blossoming and expanding NW. So we did want to pay attn to current radar it appears 

I don't think that is your meaningful snow if you get any....later this evening is what you'll want to look for. This current stuff is mostly for the shore...might be some flakes inland with it, but prob little if any measurable snow. If this starts to expand and blossom well NW though as we get into the 4-5pm hour, then that would definitely be a good sign.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Might be some bad luck. I had 12.5" in December last year, and I know just NW of you had over a foot in Feb this year too. 

Exactly what it is.  Last December I picked up 16”, and February 1st was another biggie with 14-16” too. No complaints here. Hoping for one big/decent one this year at some point.  I lived through the big and lean years…so I know both sides of this coin well. It’s all about being in the right place many times.  

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Exactly what it is.  Last December I picked up 16”, and February 1st was another biggie with 14-16” too. No complaints here. Hoping for one big/decent one this year at some point.  I lived through the big and lean years…so I know both sides of this coin well. It’s all about being in the right place many times.  

Taunton was overdue for some screwgies

• Like 1

Omg really?  You got some  nice equipment, put it up for sale…folks will be beating the door down for it. 

I sled the county…the very northern part at that. It’s as good as it’s ever been. And I have to drive 9 hrs plus to get there, and it’s  always dam good..to excellent. 
Moment of weakness. Just registered the sleds

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think that is your meaningful snow if you get any....later this evening is what you'll want to look for. This current stuff is mostly for the shore...might be some flakes inland with it, but prob little if any measurable snow. If this starts to expand and blossom well NW though as we get into the 4-5pm hour, then that would definitely be a good sign.

So you’re thinking we may miss out tonight?

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So you’re thinking we may miss out tonight?

No that isn't what I'd forecast....I'd prob forecast 1-2" but emphasize the uncertainty associated with IVT setups. It's always possible you miss out on accumulations in these setups.