Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wednesday 12/8 Possible Snow/Ice/Rain? Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

The event that triggered my interest in both weather and trees came a few years earlier, a major ice storm for the hills west/north of NYC on January 8-9, 1953.  Broken branches on essentially every tree more than 30 feet tall with some snapped off completely, lost power for 6 days. 
Fittingly, the 1998 ice storm was on the same dates.

I remember a big snow event around that time that got me.  Them of course the amazing 1954 hurricanes.  But it was solidified in March of 1956.

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I remember a big snow event around that time that got me.  Them of course the amazing 1954 hurricanes.  But it was solidified in March of 1956.

Those 1954 'canes covered 3 relatives.  Carol (cousin) was just a breeze at our place, Edna (aunt) was windy, but we were able to fly kites in it.  Hazel (great aunt) was by far the most powerful of the 3 in our area, gusting into the 60s and toppling numerous trees.  The oaks still held most of their leaves pre-storm, and our outside walls got plastered with leaf fragments.  In my memory, Hazel's winds are about the same as TS Doria (8/71) and Bob, but a step or two below the 1950 Apps gale and the roaring NW winds of New Year's Eve 1962, generate by the snowstorm that ate BGR.

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Those 1954 'canes covered 3 relatives.  Carol (cousin) was just a breeze at our place, Edna (aunt) was windy, but we were able to fly kites in it.  Hazel (great aunt) was by far the most powerful of the 3 in our area, gusting into the 60s and toppling numerous trees.  The oaks still held most of their leaves pre-storm, and our outside walls got plastered with leaf fragments.  In my memory, Hazel's winds are about the same as TS Doria (8/71) and Bob, but a step or two below the 1950 Apps gale and the roaring NW winds of New Year's Eve 1962, generate by the snowstorm that ate BGR.

Where I was, Carol was sustained 50+ with torrential rains.  Edna was less memorable. Hazel was amazing!  Tops of railroad poles blowing down the street but not much rain.

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

Where I was, Carol was sustained 50+ with torrential rains.  Edna was less memorable. Hazel was amazing!  Tops of railroad poles blowing down the street but not much rain.

I don't recall much rain in any of the 54 storms (though we probably had 2-3" each from the first 2) and we were too far east to get much in 1950.  Doria (5.1" with a 3.8" PRE the day before) and Bob (6.41") were the rainers.  We had 2" of wet snow on 12/29/62 and 2 days of gales piled drifts up to 6 feet, along with uprooting bare-limbed trees up to 2 feet in diameter.