Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I was drinking Lawsons triple sunshine last night.  Nice beer but you could feel the alcohol as it went down.  Lol

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I was drinking Lawsons triple sunshine last night.  Nice beer but you could feel the alcohol as it went down.  Lol

Somehow that beer seems quite fitting for this winter season....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I had some good 9%rs last night. We take it easy tonight lol.

I found this beer .. small brewery out of Kansas City - well ...may be bigger now, or no longer exist, not sure.   They were called "Sixth Glass."  They made this amazing 10.4% potent IPA that had an almost creamy sort of velvety finish to it.  It was amazing. It went well with just about any meal, or just nursing during the game - multi utility, and yes... given to the 10.4%, you really only need a couple of them.  If downed on an empty stomach, perhaps only one.  

Amazing beer.  

Now ... personally, I haven't drank any alcohol in 7 years - despite the marketing pitch above.  Ha.  But I had to make the conscience choice for better over worse.  I wasn't an alcoholic .. .at least I don't think?  But, I did at the time feel I was engaging in life style that was not healthy, too often. The proof of that, I was beginning to manifest physical oddities that I don't care to delve into -LOL.  Anyway, since stopping, all vitals are vastly improved and I weigh like 180 .. .Turns out, I'm actually a tall slender bloke - not that barrel chested after all.  Probably TMI but ...I guess one doesn't always know when a lifestyle is creeping into a dangerous territory. It can be a very gradual process, where one's body adapts over time; meanwhile, the adaptation is muting the sensation of the erosion going on - then there you are ... hosting an uneasy conversation with a doctor...etc.    I mean, I wasn't even getting much in the way of hang-overs like ever... Yet I could put away a bottle of wine and one of those IPA's above every night.  Go to work fine the next morning...  fine.   Gradually got to that state over years.  

So, I suppose I needed the change at the time - duh. But it went painless for me.  No withdrawal bullshit or cravings. Nothing. Stopped one night on a dime and never went back... I really only missed the cigars I used to have along with - that's really a nice combination. Really soothing. Tie one one then spark up a blunt... My god, can't believe I used to engage like that.  Now?  I work out every day crazy -like.   I run 10K, then bike 24 miles the next day, then do an hour on the full press Elliptical, and weight train every other work out. Eat organic, high in fruit and veggies. Lots of water. Sleep regular...basically, no life.  But hey, I feel topico!

• Like 2

Finished with 2 1/4". Had a burst of heavy snow for about 10 minutes that I estimate was 2" an hour rate! I walked my little Shiba Inu in the woods at the height of the heavy snow. If I didn't have his bright blue harness on it would've been hard to see him. Didn't get a pic of him in the snow. Snowing to hard to pull my phone out.

IMG_20211224_121451 2.jpg

IMG_20211111_080703 3.jpg

IMG_20211224_084130 3.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vinny Findley said:

Finished with 2 1/4". Had a burst of heavy snow for about 10 minutes that I estimate was 2" an hour rate! I walked my little Shiba Inu in the woods at the height of the heavy snow. If I didn't have his bright blue harness on it would've been hard to see him. Didn't get a pic of him in the snow. Snowing to hard to pull my phone out.

IMG_20211224_121451 2.jpg

IMG_20211111_080703 3.jpg

IMG_20211224_084130 3.jpg

Nice 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I found this beer .. small brewery out of Kansas City - well ...may be bigger now, or no longer exist, not sure.   They were called "Sixth Glass."  They made this amazing 10.4% potent IPA that had an almost creamy sort of velvety finish to it.  It was amazing. It went well with just about any meal, or just nursing during the game - multi utility, and yes... given to the 10.4%, you really only need a couple of them.  If downed on an empty stomach, perhaps only one.  

Amazing beer.  

Now ... personally, I haven't drank any alcohol in 7 years - despite the marketing pitch above.  Ha.  But I had to make the conscience choice for better over worse.  I wasn't an alcoholic .. .at least I don't think?  But, I did at the time feel I was engaging in life style that was not healthy, too often. The proof of that, I was beginning to manifest physical oddities that I don't care to delve into -LOL.  Anyway, since stopping, all vitals are vastly improved and I weigh like 180 .. .Turns out, I'm actually a tall slender bloke - not that barrel chested after all.  Probably TMI but ...I guess one doesn't always know when a lifestyle is creeping into a dangerous territory. It can be a very gradual process, where one's body adapts over time; meanwhile, the adaptation is muting the sensation of the erosion going on - then there you are ... hosting an uneasy conversation with a doctor...etc.    I mean, I wasn't even getting much in the way of hang-overs like ever... Yet I could put away a bottle of wine and one of those IPA's above every night.  Go to work fine the next morning...  fine.   Gradually got to that state over years.  

So, I suppose I needed the change at the time - duh. But it went painless for me.  No withdrawal bullshit or cravings. Nothing. Stopped one night on a dime and never went back... I really only missed the cigars I used to have along with - that's really a nice combination. Really soothing. Tie one one then spark up a blunt... My god, can't believe I used to engage like that.  Now?  I work out every day crazy -like.   I run 10K, then bike 24 miles the next day, then do an hour on the full press Elliptical, and weight train every other work out. Eat organic, high in fruit and veggies. Lots of water. Sleep regular...basically, no life.  But hey, I feel topico!

Good morning Tip and we’ll done. As for TMI perhaps for some of us there wasn’t enough I.  “…basically no life.” I refuse to believe … As always ….

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Cold day. ORH at 22F at lunchtime. 

About the same but compared to yesterday at noon (15° with gusts to 20) it feels almost balmy.  We - myself, son-in-law and grandkids - kept warm by "bucket-brigading" a cord of wood from pile to porch.

Thankfully, especially after last year, tomorrow will make 20 of 24 white Christmases.  Currently 6" with ~2" LE, with a crust on top and ice at the base.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Amazing beer.  

That would be from Boulevard brewing in Kansas City.  They have one of the biggest and best barrel aging programs in the US. Fantastic barrel aged ales.  Their  “rye on rye” is one of my all-time favorite beers, as is the Belgian quadruple that you mentioned. 

• Like 2

Funny thing ..it doesn't seem like an ice "threat" to me... 

Not sure I see a strong enough ageo wind to really offset the conduction temperature of the rain. It's falling through +5 C at 900 mb level...That's pretty fantastically mild not far off the deck. Plus, any marginal icing that gets going utilizing low level initial 30 F, if there's only light drain the latent heat of phase change will have it 32. 

I wouldn't suggest no ice at all.. Just that it would be like that thing the other day. With some glaze mottling on the car windows, then it's 32.3.   Maybe that's all we're talking about.

I mean, it'd be weird variant on the "white Xmas" theme to have icicles dangling from power lines and some modest sag on trees and shrubs - love to see it  - if we can manage that without losing power, heh.  The novelty of ice runs out on me in about 4.8 seconds aft of the lights and white noise of the household going abruptly crypt quite.

Obviously this wouldn't likely add up to that, anyway .. just sayin'.   Not a huge fan of ice "storms" ... Icing? - sure.  Keep the power on though.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice.  My nephew and sister in law live in Bristol.  Brian loves snow and bought a snowblower when he moved down there from Metro West Boston.  He has been so frustrated.  He is out there now finally using the blower.  It will be gone Im sure in tomorrows rain but he is having fun

I think I have had to use a snow blower twice down here in the last 3 years. Either not enough to get it setup (I have an electric corded one) or way to slushy due to p-type issues. Even todays 2” wasn’t enough to get it out…