• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Ensembles have been pretty consistent in the pattern shift in the PAC. There will likely be some winter threats in the final 10 days of the month for some on this forum assuming no major changes....obviously in November that favors NNE elevations, but can't rule out further south or lower down either.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

What do you mean?

I was just being passively snarky about the 12z Euro run yesterday ... That D10 did not look like a mid month cool down pattern to me.

But obviously, one run doesn't make a bun.    The comment is really directed toward the straw man, as I spent time writing about it last week, and as usual .. more than a sentence gets auto-ignored. Heh. I didn't see anyone very interested in acknowledging, either way. 

So attempting to keep this brief uh 'er',  the models ( regardless of which - ) for years now ( actually ...) have this propensity to over magnify everything that comes into the outer time range - then, spend ... cycle after cycle after cycle seemingly engineering petty reasons to tax the original look. What ends up verifying is ... at best 70 % of the original.   It's just a personal observation of the model performance/..behavior.  And it doesn't matter if it's heating or cooling anomaly patterns, and/or storms and whatever contained within them. Everything is awe-inspiring --> less awe-inspiring; it's presumptive correction vector for me at this point. I used the metaphor last year for this aspect  ... it's like the moon first rising over the eastern horizon?   I looks ginormous... but then as it ages upward into its zenith, it's a fraction of its original - it's like the models "magnify" everything that emerges into the D~12 range

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was just being passively snarky about the 12z Euro run yesterday ... That D10 did not look like a mid month cool down pattern to me.

But obviously, one run doesn't make a bun.    The comment is really directed toward the straw man, as I spent time writing about it last week, and as usual .. more than a sentence gets auto-ignored. Heh. I didn't see anyone very interested in acknowledging, either way. 

So attempting to keep this brief uh 'er',  the models ( regardless of which - ) for years now ( actually ...) have this propensity to over magnify everything that comes into the outer time range - then, spend ... cycle after cycle after cycle seemingly engineering petty reasons to tax the original look. What ends up verifying is ... at best 70 % of the original.   It's just a personal observation of the model performance/..behavior.  And it doesn't matter if it's heating or cooling anomaly patterns, and/or storms and whatever contained within them. Everything is awe-inspiring --> less awe-inspiring; it's presumptive correction vector for me at this point. I used the metaphor last year for this aspect  ... it's like the moon first rising over the eastern horizon?   I looks ginormous... but then as it ages upward into its zenith, it's a fraction of its original - it's like the models "magnify" everything that emerges into the D~12 range

It is quite mind boggling. Can drive a sane person insane I tell ya! Lol

I will say this, the Euro tends to always have a warm bias, especially long range, so I always take their modeled temp forecasts for the upcoming months with a grain of salt. 

Thanks for your insight ( and as always ) your rather extensive vocabulary ( that I will admit I have to look up sometimes ). Just saying. ;-)

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ensembles have been pretty consistent in the pattern shift in the PAC. There will likely be some winter threats in the final 10 days of the month for some on this forum assuming no major changes....obviously in November that favors NNE elevations, but can't rule out further south or lower down either.

Someone in SNE (MA, CT, RI) will get plowable before Novie ends...that is my call.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

With record high heating costs I think most people are enjoying this nice warm start to November. 

Also, this weeks mild warm up is nothing compared to last November here. I recall some spots in SW CT hitting 80. 

Here we're enjoying the incredible run of sunny/mostly sunny days in what's our cloudiest month on average.  However, the clear nights are running 4-5° BN so even though highs are about normal the month is at -2.2 thru yesterday.

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nice start to winter for Plains and into GL region. I think you'll need one of those systems to cut west, and then swing the cold east with another s/w amplifying to help deliver a SWFE type system. Like Will said...favor farther interior and NNE for now.

It look like there was certainly the potential for another cutter out in la la land on the models. 

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

Here we're enjoying the incredible run of sunny/mostly sunny days in what's our cloudiest month on average.  However, the clear nights are running 4-5° BN so even though highs are about normal the month is at -2.2 thru yesterday.

Opposite of how global warm has manifested itself on average.