• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

24.5"  Final.   Measured several areas.   This is with no clearing.

Are these 35-44" reports from people that have not cleared and are measuring in non wind areas?  Wish we had a Utube video of someone taking these measurements so we can see exactly where they are in relationship to other objects etc.  Just seems so remarkable for a short time.  I was slightly north of the death band earlier this morning.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Are these 35-44" reports from people that have not cleared and are measuring in non wind areas?  Wish we had a Utube video of someone taking these measurements so we can see exactly where they are in relationship to other objects etc.  Just seems so remarkable for a short time.  I was slightly north of the death band earlier this morning.

Impressive. Prob 28” with 2-3 clearings.

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The twitter video posted earlier is pretty convincing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VTBrewtopian/status/1339608280784617472

Getting a quick sunset now as the flurries have ended. What a site. 

Im guessing about 14” is our final when I check it out officially. 

Funny how 14 inches sounds so paltry when it’s an incredibly good storm in mid December. But when a mesoband is giving people 40 inches, anything else feels insignificant. Lol

But what a great storm. Had some amazing rates last night and the snow has some meat to it. It’s not 20 to 1 blower. Prob like 12 to 1 or something. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My kid doesn’t know what hit him. He went down for a nap with a foot and wakes up closing in on two.

I stayed offline until now because I wanted to just enjoy the storm, and watching this thing overperform without constantly tracking radar, checking models or reading nowcasts took me back to being a little kid. Just a pure positive surprise. We didn't even get in on the truly insane rates, but still a big overperformer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

16” after compaction.  I did not measure every six hours so I’m just gonna go with that officially.   Pretty dense stuff too.  Certainly not cement but not fluffy either.

Beast did quite well.  Was already skiing in great by noon.  Had enough meat in it to cover stuff up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

For the first time since he moved there in the late 90’s, my dad in New Milford was the CT Jack at 16.5”. That area is typically a terrible snow hole in coastals 

Yea. WCT on the southern end of the litchfield hills, in the valley, does not jack in coastals. It happens but mid level magic is typically either nw or ne of there.

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If so, that is only the 4th time it has happened

Boston 12.5"    BDL and PVD still ???

ORH 12.2

Logan AP              12.9   100 PM 12/17  Logan Airport
TF Green AP            7.3   100 PM 12/17  T.F. Green Airport
Bradley AP            12.3   100 PM 12/17  Bradley Airport

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

For the first time since he moved there in the late 90’s, my dad in New Milford was the CT Jack at 16.5”. That area is typically a terrible snow hole in coastals 

how did they do in the 2017 (I think it was 2017) storm? It was the storm where Newtown got like 22'' and Danbury only got like 13''...I thought New Milford pulled off close to 20'' (not jackpot obviously) but I remember being pissed b/c Danbury ended up on the wrong side of the band and I thought the way it was structured it hit New Milford too. 

2 minutes ago, PWMan said:

I stayed offline until now because I wanted to just enjoy the storm, and watching this thing overperform without constantly tracking radar, checking models or reading nowcasts took me back to being a little kid. Just a pure positive surprise. We didn't even get in on the truly insane rates, but still a big overperformer.

That’s the way to go. 

42 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

That is what screwed the weenies in NYC.  H7 was right on top of the city. 

Was a warning sign for days that models like the GFS and Euro were too cold. But we could’ve had a few inches extra if the WAA snow last night didn’t become chopped up after a few hours. That allowed warm air aloft to come in faster. Notice how the mix line essentially stopped then started north again when the precip broke up. 

Anyway 10.5” in Central Park and a 7-12” event overall in the city is great for December.