Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

23 minutes ago, jwolfe said:

Greetings from Grantham, NH.  I thought things were exciting with the NHDOT plow rolling over at exit 13 this morning but the 38” report is probably better.  Measured 34 at our place (nothing scientific, no clearing) with about 20 of that between 7a and 1p.  Just about done now and time to start the cleanup  BDE242FE-0C1F-4959-A949-9A8A37B1686D.thumb.jpeg.76f2e39f9a4027919270f995c5461c72.jpeg

Nice, is that an outhouse?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Used a yardstick so I could feel part of the group.

IMG_3056.thumb.jpg.64772f9cba99f39ffcb37f6c9d8ac882.jpg

I had an 18" flag marking my snow board and I've lost it...

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

From a local standpoint, this event was entirely forgettable for me, from an aggregate meteorological perspective....ie underwhelming total snowfall, as expect. But the reason that I will remember it are threefold:

1) My daughter's first experience in the snow, and she is hooked....too her sledding down the driveway and side road. No mesoscale met screwing can rob me of that.

2) Others have mentioned, but that was the most hostile WCB in terms of sensible weather than I can ever remember....cold, wind, intensity of snowfall....reminded me of Jan 2005 and Feb 2013 from about 1-4am.

3) Obviously the insanity of the snowfall in that band to the n and w that I just missed....44" totals are memorable, even for the most IMBY guy alive.

And his heart grew three sizes...

This is going to be a great case study though. Obviously even a marginally stronger/coherent WCB was going to produce a lot of frontogenesis with that high anchored to the north. It probably also helped to lock the band in place rather than translating as quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

From a local standpoint, this event was entirely forgettable for me, from an aggregate meteorological perspective....ie underwhelming total snowfall, as expect. But the reason that I will remember it are threefold:

1) My daughter's first experience in the snow, and she is hooked....too her sledding down the driveway and side road. No mesoscale met screwing can rob me of that.

2) Others have mentioned, but that was the most hostile WCB in terms of sensible weather than I can ever remember....cold, wind, intensity of snowfall....reminded me of Jan 2005 and Feb 2013 from about 1-4am.

3) Obviously the insanity of the snowfall in that band to the n and w that I just missed....44" totals are memorable, even for the most IMBY guy alive.

I will not remember this storm after in a week.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In retrospect when you really think about everything, what transpired is actually not a surprise. All the signals were there for super intense banding and when bufkit was spitting out 60-80+ units of omega into the DGZ that's pretty striking. Obviously there are other wildcard factors such as pivoting and I guess this system maybe didn't really occlude as quickly as models indicated. Also think H7 was a bit more compact and stronger than forecast. Hell...even strong signals for ratios up around 18:1 - 20:1 under the intense stuff.  

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

12.7" as of 2PM on 1.24" liquid.  Slightly lower ratio's than @OceanStWx but I believe I'm a little closer to the ocean than him.

You're way closer to the peninsula than I am. I can throw a rock onto the turnpike. 

I'm in a good spot to stay just on the cool side of any coastal convergence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

This sucks doesn't it @HoarfrostHubb @subdude :(.  We may average a lot during a year, but it seems we only get that way due to marginal shoulder season events like last week. Never get the sexual deform bands (too far east and south) or the CF enhancement (too far NW) :( 

With the exception of the folks to the N of us ya we seem to be in the screwzone at times. Happens to everyone... Just measured another 3.5 since this morning for 12.5 better than 0 but a little humbling seeing the totals well to the N and W of us. They were long overdue. 

• Like 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The ULL swinging through NoPA was a red flag. It needed to swing through SoPA/MD. I put my goggles on inside 24hr and didn’t remove them...

The track of H7 low always scared me but I felt that there was enough of a signal to swing the CCB through more of CT and pivot through but that didn't entirely happen. I actually should have stuck with my second update instead of doing 3rd update...I always do that too myself lol

This is bananas even as the radar is petering out.

Work asked for an update on rates (they issued a SPS for heavy rates last hour based on my 3.9"/hr report). I knew it was snowing hard, but I picked up an additional 4.8" in the last hour. 8.7" since 1 pm.

Storm total 21.7". Dumbfounded honestly.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1