Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

3 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Those models did well that central Mass snow hole. That doughnut was showing up 4-5 days ago. 8" of fun here, I see NWS Box has a 15" spot for @HIPPYVALLEY area. Awesome stuff.

No photo description available.

It was obvious where that hole was going to plant for several days. I confirmed it playing out like that at 630am, and off to ned I went.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This may be the heaviest yet...at least some of the best snow growth. 

Snow growth is better here too.  Back to heavy snow but 1/4 mile stuff not the absurdity  of earlier.  

20.5" at the snowstake

Question:  In a snowfall with high ratios like the one we are having I am sure there is so much compression of the pack.  2 feet of snow weighs a lot.  The 40" plus snow amounts I see posted, are they people that have cleared?   I'm sure if I had cleared every 6 hours I would have inches more.  Has there ever been a study or any kind of rule so you can compare snowfalls?

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This may be the heaviest yet...at least some of the best snow growth. 

Snow growth is better here too.  Back to heavy snow but 1/4 mile stuff not the absurdity  of earlier.  

20.5" at the snowstake

Question:  In a snowfall with high ratios like the one we are having I am sure there is so much compression of the pack.  2 feet of snow weighs a lot.  The 40" plus snow amounts I see posted, are they people that have cleared?   I'm sure if I had cleared every 6 hours I would have inches more.  Has there ever been a study or any kind of rule so you can compare snowfalls?

Yeah Jay 1-2am was one of the most intense WCBs I’ve ever seen in the Boston area

Visibility down to a few hundred yards, rates of 2-4” / hr

I’m failing to upload a movie clip in the max space allowed, and YouTube resolution is bad

This photo does no justice... a fog of heavy snow, big flakes:

IMG_2095.PNG

• Like 1

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

20.5" at the snowstake

I posted earlier that my cleared totals were 32.3”and my new depth is 28.5”. So clearing every 6hrs has netted me 3.8” so far. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It was obvious where that hole was going to plant for several days. I confirmed it playing out like that at 630am, and off to ned I went.

Yea we had about 4-5" of snow around 4:30 when I woke up, looked at the radar saw the banding way north and knew it. "Shadow banding" as Sipprell once described it to me on one of our road trips skiing. Grabbed another 3-4" between 8:30-10:30 and that was all she wrote. Storm was fun to track and learned a ton. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

12.1. friend of mine snagged 1.0" from that in seymour

ill have to see what we get from this but its crazy out there right now, didnt expect it, went from sunny to S+ real quick and very windy

Nice... probably get to 13 from that. Been in the middle of 2 but it's still been snowing a bit, starting to taper with signs of the sun about to peek now.

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There was a light glimmer of hope around 18z yesterday when the nam shifted south, but by 0z it was game over 

Sloppy seconds but finally back to a burst of +SN here 

Haven't posted after being stuck in the driveway for 3 hours and taking an hour to get somewhere it should have taken me 15min.

Everyone is off the road...cars stuck everywhere.  Absolutely WHITEOUT conditions up here...you can't even see 5 feet in front of you.  

Snowfall totals: A wicked lot of snow.

What a truly historic, impressive storm.  This reminds me of the great Norlun trough event of like 10 years ago where it snowed for 48 hours straight.  

I'll try to get measurements soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

20.5" at the snowstake

Some of the pics I've seen in the 30-36" range looks like just like ruler in the ground measurement--so no clear. Some probably are clearing as well.  I don't know about the 40" plus totals.  If it just 44" depth, then that is insanely impressive.

14 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Those models did well that central Mass snow hole. That doughnut was showing up 4-5 days ago. 8" of fun here, I see NWS Box has a 15" spot for @HIPPYVALLEY area. Awesome stuff.

No photo description available.

I can confirm that mini snow hole around Pittsfield. Did an official measurement in Lenox of 10.5.

2 minutes ago, SnowGiant611 said:

Haven't posted after being stuck in the driveway for 3 hours and taking an hour to get somewhere it should have taken me 15min.

Everyone is off the road...cars stuck everywhere.  Absolutely WHITEOUT conditions up here...you can't even see 5 feet in front of you.  

Snowfall totals: A wicked lot of snow.

What a truly historic, impressive storm.  This reminds me of the great Norlun trough event of like 10 years ago where it snowed for 48 hours straight.  

I'll try to get measurements soon.

Where are you?

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

OK lol...core sample is done. Had to put 2.38” of hot water in to melt the 19” down. 

12a-6a: 13.3”/0.81”

6a-12p: 19.0”/0.99”

Total: 32.3”/1.80”

And it’s still pounding. 

Mine is 31.3" total with 1.89"  liquid.  Herpes wins the QPF battle.  

Snow stopped for about 30 minutes, but picking back up again.

• Like 1