Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

42 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Powder shouldn't be that bad, a snowblower can go underneath on a first pass, from there it's just taking off slices and letting the top fall over into the cleared spot.

That worked well for me in 24", might be tougher in 30+ though it's the best choice.  Also had to do 24" with a snow scoop- 1st task was to shovel out a place to start dumping with the scoop.  Could not make a run with the scoop like the usual, but merely take off a scoop-size bite and run it up the snowbank.

Maybe 3" in Augusta.  Almost half came 10-11 this morning as we caught the north edge of the megaband and had some real flakes. Then it returned to the teeny-tiny ones that reduce visibility equally but don't accumulate nearly as fast.

17 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Those models did well that central Mass snow hole. That doughnut was showing up 4-5 days ago. 8" of fun here, I see NWS Box has a 15" spot for @HIPPYVALLEY area. Awesome stuff.

No photo description available.

I think that 15.5" total in Fitchburg is a little off. I'm at work right in the center of town and there's not 15" here. It doesn't even coincide with surrounding towns.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That worked well for me in 24", might be tougher in 30+ though it's the best choice.  Also had to do 24" with a snow scoop- 1st task was to shovel out a place to start dumping with the scoop.  Could not make a run with the scoop like the usual, but merely take off a scoop-size bite and run it up the snowbank.

Maybe 3" in Augusta.  Almost half came 10-11 this morning as we caught the north edge of the megaband and had some real flakes. Then it returned to the teeny-tiny ones that reduce visibility equally but don't accumulate nearly as fast.

It's what I did in Feb 13. That was heavier snow though, took like 5 hours.

2 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

I got porked in Hampton but can live with it looking at the totals up north. Please no cutter before X-mas, this I shaping up to be a good season on the slopes, 30+ at Ragged I bet. That webcams been fun to watch. 

1157335D-0D42-4F81-8A82-4AE4C5EA4306.png

Lol at adding in the purple shades up to 96”. Storm of my dreams right here where everything came together. I’ve been waiting 42 years for a 30 incher. I may get emotional. :weenie:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I measured 10 inches at 7 am. Will end up with over a foot once all is said and done. 

I think that is what we expected. I thought he was worried about getting like 8". It did look better there when everything went south, then at 18z it went north again. Crazy short term bust.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Down to regular heavy snow right now. Nearing the end of the insane rates.

IMG_2133.gif

Really interesting radar.  Much better snow growth now.  Looked like it was going to end but elements are now coming in from the east.  Almost a pivot over me while you dry out a bit

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lol at adding in the purple shades up to 96”. Storm of my dreams right here where everything came together. I’ve been waiting 42 years for a 30 incher. I may get emotional. :weenie:

Congrats. And I gave you crap yesterday about being on the northern fringe zone and being grumpy about it haha....can’t wait to get up there,  hopefully tomorrow if I can skip out of work. I’ve had a few storms tickle 30” when I was in Methuen for 20 years, we can spread the love every so often. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic: A weenie band is neither a weenie nor a band. Discuss.

• Haha 1

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Really interesting radar.  Much better snow growth now.  Looked like it was going to end but elements are now coming in from the east.  Almost a pivot over me while you dry out a bit

Still moderate here. These may be lower echoes below the beam...not sure. I think the easterly returns up there were there the entire time, but the deform band probably overwhelmed the returns.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I think that is what we expected. I thought he was worried about getting like 8". It did look better there when everything went south, then at 18z it went north again. Crazy short term bust.

Just have to appreciate anything that is  good in 2020. Certainly not an historic storm in my area but a solid storm. It is winter outside! And likely a white Christmas!

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What a wild radar signature there.  Look at the shear displayed here?  The instability must have been WAY higher than modeled/projected.  Did anyone trend CAPE rates at the onset and transitioning to the height of the storm?