• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gelavis
    Newest Member
    Gelavis

Fall Banter and General Discussion

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My wife has 6 of her students now quarantined due to exposure pending test results.  Hill towns in ORH county off to the races now

That's been the story at my kids' old school.

Certain students who are prone to allergy symptoms and colds have been missing tons of class time with the "stay home/get tested/return 48 hours later" drill. And the school has a policy that if you are enrolled in-person and have to be at home, you can't switch to remote. You are locked in and have to sit at home for as long as it takes doing nothing at all. Can't bring any books home either.

The teachers I have talked to have resigned themselves to this basically being a lost school year for most kids. Very little forward progress and the kids who were behind are even further behind now.

So glad we were able to homeschool this year. Our kids have been flourishing. I really recommend it for any families that can manage it.

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL no this is from back in the 80s before they changed to metal. They started out as a New Wave pop band with some goth overtones. 

Interesting...I had 2 cassettes and both were definitely  heavy metal . I wasn't deep into them by any means.  But had no idea they were a New Wave prior . That's funny ...because New Wave/ Alternative is my favorite music especially from late 70s-early 90s . 

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My wife has 6 of her students now quarantined due to exposure pending test results.  Hill towns in ORH county off to the races now

It's going to get much worse.  Already seeing spikes in all measures of the disease.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Interesting...I had 2 cassettes and both were definitely  heavy metal . I wasn't deep into them by any means.  But had no idea they were a New Wave prior . That's funny ...because New Wave/ Alternative is my favorite music especially from late 70s-early 90s . 

They basically switched overnight with the 1989 release of "The Land of Rape and Honey." It was pretty shocking for folks. LOL

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They basically switched overnight with the 1989 release of "The Land of Rape and Honey." It was pretty shocking for folks. LOL

Dating yourself.  I saw them at Lollapalooza in 1992.

• Like 2

I'll have to check out the older stuff .

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

I'll have to check out the older stuff .

Twitch is a good album.

Synth-pop but harder than most.

I like the collection album "Early Trax." Provides the highlights from the early days and skips some of the terrible corporate pop the suits at the studio wrote for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Yup. Lucky to finish 5-11 IMO. 

14 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes. The Cam Newton party is over. Like it or not, the QB usually gets most of the success and blame. He has to turn it around really fast. 

Based on Gilmore on the chopping/trading block to Bears...we are willing to fold this year

It is not too late to Tank for Trevor. Lose out and we have a chance.

• Like 1

I want to look into getting a house built and it has to have these capabilities;

1) Withstand winds up to 200 mph

2) Spider proof...I don't care what has to be done or if I need to take out a $1,000,000 loan to make it happen. I'll get the foundation sprayed once a week...and whoever builds is going to make sure there are ZERO cracks and zero ways for spiders to enter. That should be possible...I don't see how it can't. 

Spiders that big should also not be here in Windsor Locks...let alone inside a house. This is the second time I've seen one this big....that's two times too many. IDK what's going on but this needs to be investigated. I hope it's not climate change related. Wolf spiders inside of a house...if you live in the woods sure BUT THIS ISN"T THE FOOKING WOODS. Fishing spider and now wolf spider...this is bullshit. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

Release some large and hungry house centipedes into the basement. They will take care of the spiders for you very fast.

Those scare me more than spiders actually LOL. I had one crawl on my face once. 

I was talking with my friend who is real good with identifying spiders (only other person I know who is good is Will) and I said I am shocked at some of the spiders I've seen here since we don't have a basement and he was saying that could be why...they have nowhere to hide. I wouldn't think the area I'm in would be prone to these big spiders inside...typical house spider, daddy longlegs...sure but I've seen a fishing spider and now a wolf spider. If this was at night I would not be able to sleep.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Those scare me more than spiders actually LOL. I had one crawl on my face once. 

I was talking with my friend who is real good with identifying spiders (only other person I know who is good is Will) and I said I am shocked at some of the spiders I've seen here since we don't have a basement and he was saying that could be why...they have nowhere to hide. I wouldn't think the area I'm in would be prone to these big spiders inside...typical house spider, daddy longlegs...sure but I've seen a fishing spider and now a wolf spider. If this was at night I would not be able to sleep.

Yeah, I hate both of them for sure.

I have noticed that you only ever see one type or the other. They must really have some epic fights under the floorboards and behind the walls. An ongoing war for dominance.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I hate both of them for sure.

I have noticed that you only ever see one type or the other. They must really have some epic fights under the floorboards and behind the walls. An ongoing war for dominance.

Same here...typically you see just one or maybe two types of spiders but I've had to see about 4 or 5 different types. The worst is in the bathroom. There isn't a single day that I don't see a spider...and sometimes multiple. There has to be a nest somewhere just not sure where. My guess is where the hot water heater is. I did find a dead baby mouse in front of the hot water heater too the other day...wonder if a spider got it :yikes: 

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I want to look into getting a house built and it has to have these capabilities;

1) Withstand winds up to 200 mph

2) Spider proof...I don't care what has to be done or if I need to take out a $1,000,000 loan to make it happen. I'll get the foundation sprayed once a week...and whoever builds is going to make sure there are ZERO cracks and zero ways for spiders to enter. That should be possible...I don't see how it can't. 

Spiders that big should also not be here in Windsor Locks...let alone inside a house. This is the second time I've seen one this big....that's two times too many. IDK what's going on but this needs to be investigated. I hope it's not climate change related. Wolf spiders inside of a house...if you live in the woods sure BUT THIS ISN"T THE FOOKING WOODS. Fishing spider and now wolf spider...this is bullshit. 

Starting with #1, Your looking at a reinforced concrete structure in order to achieve that type of strength.  We're designing houses here in MA that go up to 140 mph (3-second gusts), which is like a Cat 3 Hurricane.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Starting with #1, Your looking at a reinforced concrete structure in order to achieve that type of strength.  We're designing houses here in MA that go up to 140 mph (3-second gusts), which is like a Cat 3 Hurricane.

Nice...I'm actually glad to hear this. I sort of cringe when I think about what most structures around here can withstand in terms of winds

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Wiz building his New England home to withstand an EF5........?

My house will be the only one standing when a cat 3 or higher rips through. 

19 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes. The Cam Newton party is over. Like it or not, the QB usually gets most of the success and blame. He has to turn it around really fast. 

Based on Gilmore on the chopping/trading block to Bears...we are willing to fold this year

Had not heard this.  Unless the Bears can offer the kind of package they sent to the Raiders for Khalil Mack, just say no.

the spider is alive...someone please send help

That one looks big enough to dip in batter and french-fry.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All jokes aside .. how is the book doing? Sales good? I was trying to find it on Amazon but couldn’t remember the name 

Yeah ...ah, heh...  You know, 'new authors' don't tend to sell a lot.  I think I sold 200 copies maybe?  I'm due for some form or royalty in a month - first. Probably be 10 bucks hahaha.  Frankly? I was not out to 'make money' - at all really... I wasn't. I just ... not to sound like a douche but people started telling me to write books in my 20s.  ...then my 30s came and went and still, people would tell me 'nicely written' this and that... Meanwhile, I have no life and death is inviting - I decided...I didn't want to arrive at 70 years of age and wish I had done or tried to be something more than ignored.  So, goal achieved - whether fleeting is the whisper in the wind, there is a trace of me left in the Zeitgeist I suppose ...Funny tho, it doesn't change the other stuff for having done so :(  ...we all got our demons I suppose.   Oh, it's on Amazon, "Dominion" is the name - which I don't like that title. But seeing as the publisher is on the contract, they get a say. - Turns out, there's a f'n "Dominion" title in every genre and subgenre already... I'm like, really -   you dikks 

Further reading/observation about the book industry:   In 1950 it was a bigger ordeal to cobble together a novel... All the moving parts, between editing and re-editing and reviewal... it was all done in solid state realm of machining/press.  There was no Internet ( duh ) transmitting manuscripts, and no word processing. It was all typewriters, and red pens... and then USPS was more like 10 days to a month and there was no express anything... That was the 'express'  That's how it was done... And, usually required sleeve-rolled, red-eyed coffee drinking Pall Mall smokers assigned chapter blocks in teamwork by recent journalist grads making shit wages doing grunt editorial tedium for maybe 10 "Dikcensian" publishing workhouses. While some chief editor did a final read thru after 36 months or something ...  And, the tech in actually printing/binding books..? I mean, they didn't have Kindle ... the whole thing of it was a different industry then, and I have found that there is a kind of culture hangover, ...where people seem to carry a perception that it is some ginormous hurdle to 'get noticed' and achieve publication - ... Don't get me wrong... My publisher did tell me there's still something to it and they turn down a lot of manuscripts - yes... However, with such proficiency at both ends, it's easier for the industry to 'take a chance' ... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ...ah, heh...  You know, 'new authors' don't tend to sell a lot.  I think I sold 200 copies maybe?  I'm do for some form or royalty in a month - first. Probably be 10 bucks hahaha.  Frankly? I was not out to 'make money' - at all really... I wasn't. I just ... not to sound like a douche but people started telling me to write books in my 20s.  ...then my 30s came and went and still, people would tell me 'nicely written' this and that... Meanwhile, I have no life and death is inviting - I decided...I didn't want to arrive at 70 years of age and wish I had done or tried to be something more than ignored.  So, goal achieved - whether fleeting is the whisper in the wind, there is a trace of me left in the Zeitgeist I suppose ...Funny tho, it doesn't change the other stuff for having do so :(  ...we all got our demons I suppose.   Oh, it's on Amazon, "Dominion" is the name - which I don't like that title. But seeing as the publisher is on the contract, they got a say. - Turns out, there's a f'n "Dominion" title in every genre and subgenre already... I'm like, really -   you dikks 

Further reading/observation about the book industry:   In 1950 it was a bigger ordeal to cobble together a novel... All the moving parts, between editing and re-editing and reviewal... it was all done in solid state realm of machining/press.  There was no Internet ( duh ) transmitting manuscripts, and no word processing. It was all typewriters, and red pens... and then USPS was more like 10 days to a month and there was no express anything... That was the 'express'  That's how it was done... And, usually required sleeve-rolled, red-eyed coffee drinking Pall Mall smokers assigned chapter blocks in teamwork by recent journalist grads making shit wages doing grunt editorial tedium for maybe 10 "Dikcensian" publishing workhouses. While some chief editor did a final read thru after 36 months or something ...  And, the tech in actually printing/binding books..? I mean, they didn't have Kindle ... the whole thing of it was a different industry then, and I have found that there is a kind of culture hangover, ...where people seem to carry a perception that it is some ginormous hurdle to 'get noticed' and achieve publication - ... Don't get me wrong... My publisher did tell me there's still something to it and they turn down a lot of manuscripts - yes... However, with such proficiency at both ends, it's easier for the industry to 'take a chance' ... 

Someone prep the sig....

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ...ah, heh...  You know, 'new authors' don't tend to sell a lot.  I think I sold 200 copies maybe?  I'm do for some form or royalty in a month - first. Probably be 10 bucks hahaha.  Frankly? I was not out to 'make money' - at all really... I wasn't. I just ... not to sound like a douche but people started telling me to write books in my 20s.  ...then my 30s came and went and still, people would tell me 'nicely written' this and that... Meanwhile, I have no life and death is inviting - I decided...I didn't want to arrive at 70 years of age and wish I had done or tried to be something more than ignored.  So, goal achieved - whether fleeting is the whisper in the wind, there is a trace of me left in the Zeitgeist I suppose ...Funny tho, it doesn't change the other stuff for having done so :(  ...we all got our demons I suppose.   Oh, it's on Amazon, "Dominion" is the name - which I don't like that title. But seeing as the publisher is on the contract, they get a say. - Turns out, there's a f'n "Dominion" title in every genre and subgenre already... I'm like, really -   you dikks 

Nice man. You’ve got a gift for sure! What’s the name of the book? Christmas is coming ..

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

What was BB's response?

BB without Brady is Jason Garrett. Bucs look fantastic,  Brady and Gronk look great together again. Now they are getting AB. Serious receivers not the POS WR ers BB put together last year.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

On 10/26/2020 at 9:37 AM, PhineasC said:

Release some large and hungry house centipedes into the basement. They will take care of the spiders for you very fast.

I usually see spiders around my house and basement every year.  One year I didnt see any and thought it was odd. It was a long humid stretch in August and one night coming home I shined my flashlight on the foundation and there were hundreds of centipedes. My foundation was literally covered with them I bought some WP Demon and sprayed the foundation twice in a week to finally get rid of most of them. Wiz would have passed out at the site of centipedes.

• Sad 1