Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Im hopeful this year’s flu vaccine is effective. Plus there is some (albeit weak) evidence it might be helpful vs Covid-19

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

I believe last year Flu shot was only about 48% effective. 

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

After watching Utopia on Prime..I may bypass vaccines altogether, start praying more, and stock my basement with assualt weapons.  

Or join the fear mongering media. Geezuz I watched the today show this morning and their top 3 headlines read by the anchor included the word fear. Hype sells ask DIT but this is totally ridiculous. Covid is real, a bad illness for sure and deserves attention but every other story is full of fear mongering.  I am checking out of TV news forever. Can't stand the constant bias no matter who you watch. When Biden wins I am sure the whole tone changes despite the reality of the world doesn't.  The play is the game.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

54 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Or join the fear mongering media. Geezuz I watched the today show this morning and their top 3 headlines read by the anchor included the word fear. Hype sells ask DIT but this is totally ridiculous. Covid is real, a bad illness for sure and deserves attention but every other story is full of fear mongering.  I am checking out of TV news forever. Can't stand the constant bias no matter who you watch. When Biden wins I am sure the whole tone changes despite the reality of the world doesn't.  The play is the game.

Fear mongering is how Donald won in the first place and what his platform continues to be. I’m expecting a second term as should ‘Merika. Keep it great.

• Like 3

NBC is the worst. If I never hear the words grim and surge again, that'll be just fine

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

There are people out there who have barely left their homes in 6 months and watch cable news/read social media 24/7. They are gripped with fear and also angry.

They are REALLY on edge right now... hope they stay calm on election night, no matter what happens.

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s the word from medical professionals on the FN media as well...an added benefit if ‘Merika was fully on board. 

I am assuming Europe is "on board" with masks and social distancing and cases there are surging...

It seems pretty silly to say that this virus would all be under control here if more people just wore masks.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I am assuming Europe is "on board" with masks and social distancing and cases there are surging...

It seems pretty silly to say that this virus would all be under control here if more people just wore masks.

Not that anyone cares for my opinion but here is my take. The complete shutdown of all states in March even those with very little outbreaks created a situation where when the virus did come people were worn out from pandemonium. By the time the virus did infect these places hard, a lot of people had gone back to life thinking they didn't get it when it was bad, so why now. The failure of science was in delivery of messaging at the state level. Those early shutdowns were unnecessary as they were led to complacency and pandemic burnout. But in reality no one is to blame, the blame belongs on the virus. Pandemics are going to do what pandemics do. Masks work but are really only a placate measurement. You are lucky if you don't get it or have a mild cold like case.  Unlucky if you get it bad. We ain't stopping it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not that anyone cares for my opinion but here is my take. The complete shutdown of all states in March even those with very little outbreaks created a situation where when the virus did come people were worn out from pandemonium. By the time the virus did infect these places hard, a lot of people had gone back to life thinking they didn't get it when it was bad, so why now. The failure of science was in delivery of messaging at the state level. Those early shutdowns were unnecessary as they were led to complacency and pandemic burnout. But in reality no one is to blame, the blame belongs on the virus. Pandemics are going to do what pandemics do. Masks work but are really only a placate measurement. You are lucky if you don't get it or have a mild cold like case.  Unlucky if you get it bad. We ain't stopping it. 

It seems lockdowns don't really work if they are half-assed and start/stop based on surges. If you do lockdowns "the right way," the enormous social and economic impact just isn't justifiable, especially for a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. So we have no choice but to take this middle ground and hope herd immunity/vaccine/better treatment pulls us out of it.

I am kind of tired of people asserting that Americans aren't wearing their masks or social distancing enough or that politics has caused the pandemic to be worse here. That's pretty clearly BS if you look at Europe and compare. There are no Trump supporters in Spain, France, and Italy. They surely "mask up" there and socially distance. They also have socialized healthcare. Yet cases have been surging all the same.

I'm not seeing what a new US president would suddenly do differently than what is already being done in Europe.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Europe did something right in the summer.  Look at what their case rates were compared to ours back then.  No doubt they are seeing explosive growth now though, perhaps because they got complacent.

Italy locked down far more than the US did, for example. In parts of Italy, it was illegal to leave your house unless you were going to the grocery store at pre-designated times. More effective at controlling the spread, perhaps, but the social and economic toll is enormous. For a virus with a 99.5% survival rate, it is harder to justify the millions who will fall into poverty and hunger due to hard lockdowns. The WHO appears to be taking this stance now too.

I am glad most have stopped bringing up Australia and New Zealand at least. Isolated islands with a handful of ports of entry are not comparable to the US/EU.

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It seems lockdowns don't really work if they are half-assed and start/stop based on surges. If you do lockdowns "the right way," the enormous social and economic impact just isn't justifiable, especially for a virus with a 99.5% survival rate. So we have no choice but to take this middle ground and hope herd immunity/vaccine/better treatment pulls us out of it.

I am kind of tired of people asserting that Americans aren't wearing their masks or social distancing enough or that politics has caused the pandemic to be worse here. That's pretty clearly BS if you look at Europe and compare. There are no Trump supporters in Spain, France, and Italy. They surely "mask up" there and socially distance. They also have socialized healthcare. Yet cases have been surging all the same.

I'm not seeing what a new US president would suddenly do differently than what is already being done in Europe.

Taiwan and Germany and other places are doing better for example.  There are ways to avoid this situation we are in. Not being clear about the risk of aerosols early in and falsely communicating to people that it is a hoax for example.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Taiwan and Germany and other places are doing better for example.  There are ways to avoid this situation we are in. Not being clear about the risk of aerosols early in and falsely communicating to people that it is a hoax for example.

Taiwan is a very small island with a single port of entry that can be locked-down by a couple of guys with submachine guns. They also have a culture of wearing masks all the time due to pollution and dust from the Chinese mainland. They already have dealt with an even deadlier coronavirus, SARS, so they were certainly better prepared.

Germany is certainly more like the US in terms of demographics, economics, and access, but it is one country in the EU. There are regions of the US that have handled the virus reasonably well like Germany, such as New England. You can certainly compare Germany to New England, but if you want to compare Germany to the overall US, you need to include Spain, Italy, and France in the equation just like you'd include Florida, Texas, NY, and California on the US side.

Meanwhile while I didn’t watch the dodger celebration on the field, I’m told that Justin Turner, removed from the game after testing positive was slobbering all over his teammates unmasked in the post game celebration.   If that actually happened it’s a huge what the blue fuk!

• Like 3

Along the same lines, while in the air travel is probably not as risky as once thought, I’m avoiding it.  We have to go to Chicago again this coming weekend.  We’re driving,   ORD is in the center of surging and interacting with everyone you need to from ground personnel, TSA, other passengers, baggage, rental cars seems like more risk than we have to take.   The part time work I do is remote and can be done form anywhere and my wife’s job has dried up until spring.  Driving seems a better bet.    Besides, if we stay long enough maybe we’ll catch some LES on the way back.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Along the same lines, while in the air travel is probably not as risky as once thought, I’m avoiding it.  We have to go to Chicago again this coming weekend.  We’re driving,   ORD is in the center of surging and interacting with everyone you need to from ground personnel, TSA, other passengers, baggage, rental cars seems like more risk than we have to take.   The part time work I do is remote and can be done form anywhere and my wife’s job has dried up until spring.  Driving seems a better bet.    Besides, if we stay long enough maybe we’ll catch some LES on the way back.

Flying was already a huge hassle before. I can only imagine how terrible it is right now. I'd need to have a really good reason to get on an airplane these days.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Of course COVID numbers are spiking through the roof right now, we are three days from Election Day. 

If we’re going to discuss covid at all in the banter thread, then we are going to keep politics out of it. Let’s not imply political conspiracies for objectively easy-to-track numbers from a whole slew of decentralized sources. 

Some might complain about media narratives and such, but that is outside the scope of this thread and getting into the political aspect of it...and thus, should be avoided or we will just start deleting stuff. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Flying was already a huge hassle before. I can only imagine how terrible it is right now. I'd need to have a really good reason to get on an airplane these days.

It's a frickin breeze.  Plenty of parking.  No security lines,   Super fast boarding.  Rows to yourself. Cheap tix. 

• Like 1

Just now, radarman said:

It's a frickin breeze.  Plenty of parking.  No security lines,   Super fast boarding.  Rows to yourself. Cheap tix. 

Yeah I was thinking how empty it probably is so it is easier. 

Though I've heard talk that some airlines might go to rapid testing for their passengers...not sure how that would possibly work for like 100 people. If it would require people getting there super early, then t would offset a lot of the current ease of no lines. 

8 minutes ago, radarman said:

I was envisioning trying to get through security with social distancing and having to touch the totes and all that, but I could see how parts of the process would be easier. If it was just me and my wife, we would be more open to it, but with kids it is harder since they touch everything and their faces all the time and also are not the best with mask protocol. Easier to just get in the car. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I was envisioning trying to get through security with social distancing and having to touch the totes and all that, but I could see how parts of the process would be easier. If it was just me and my wife, we would be more open to it, but with kids it is harder since they touch everything and their faces all the time and also are not the best with mask protocol. Easier to just get in the car. 

I think going back and forth to ORD has crowded flights.  Then dealing with the hassle of luggage, rental cars, etc against the backdrop of not having the time pressure vs when I was working full time+ it’s a no brainer to us.  It was always an issue of all the miles on the leased car but mine is 2 years in with 10,000 miles total so even that is a non issue.

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

~7900 new cases in Illinois today, which broke the previous daily record and it's a Saturday.

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If we’re going to discuss covid at all in the banter thread, then we are going to keep politics out of it. Let’s not imply political conspiracies for objectively easy-to-track numbers from a whole slew of decentralized sources. 

Some might complain about media narratives and such, but that is outside the scope of this thread and getting into the political aspect of it...and thus, should be avoided or we will just start deleting stuff. 

Agreed.