Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter and General Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Get out there and seize the day.  Weather looks phenomenal for the near term.  Get those Fall cleanups done.

Yeah... this weekend will feature heavy heavy lawn and yard stuff... put away pool filter parts, screen porch closing...  and hopefully some outdoor dining

• Like 1

Why is it that the only places that are struggling to count the mail-in ballots and needed to "take a break" last night are the exact same places where Biden needs to the most votes to close the deficits? That seems a bit too on the nose to be a coincidence...

FL, CA, TX, NY... all big states that seem to have handled their mail-in ballots just fine.

I would expect massive legal challenges to what's going on today.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Pretty simple, just keep counting. Once done counting, we’ll have a winner. 

I think the question that will get to the SCOTUS will be "what are they counting" and "are they valid ballots." No doubt something is being counted deep inside Philly, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Fingers and toes perhaps. They don't seem to be having these counting issues in any states that were decided early last night. Very interesting...

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

here's your answer....

By contrast, Republicans who control the Pennsylvania Legislature thwarted efforts by county leaders and the governor to begin processing mail-in ballots there, which as a result did not begin until Election Day.

“The legislature has refused to give counties the time they need,” said Amber McReynolds, chief executive of the National Vote at Home Institute, which advocates voting by mail, and the former head of Denver’s election system. “When the president started tweeting about vote by mail, we pretty much lost all the momentum we had with legislatures in certain states. I really wish we hadn’t had the tweeting.”

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I think the question that will get to the SCOTUS will be "what are they counting" and "are they valid ballots." No doubt something is being counted deep inside Philly, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Fingers and toes perhaps. They don't seem to be having these counting issues in any states that were decided early last night. Very interesting...

In PA, I’m guessing the influx of mailed in ballots combined with the PA legislature’s decision to not allow any of those ballots to even be staged until Election Day had something to do with it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

here's your answer....

By contrast, Republicans who control the Pennsylvania Legislature thwarted efforts by county leaders and the governor to begin processing mail-in ballots there, which as a result did not begin until Election Day.

“The legislature has refused to give counties the time they need,” said Amber McReynolds, chief executive of the National Vote at Home Institute, which advocates voting by mail, and the former head of Denver’s election system. “When the president started tweeting about vote by mail, we pretty much lost all the momentum we had with legislatures in certain states. I really wish we hadn’t had the tweeting.”

That applies to 7 counties which are all Trump country. Not Philly.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/7-pennsylvania-counties-wait-until-after-election-day-to-count-mail-ballots/

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I'm surprised that NH didn't go for Trump based on all the signs I saw up there. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't understand slow down in counting. Aren't all of the votes, including mail-ins entered into the counting machine. I mean, they're not hand counting are they?

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

I don't understand slow down in counting. Aren't all of the votes, including mail-ins entered into the counting machine. I mean, they're not hand counting are they?

That's my understanding. I'm sure many of the mail-in ballots are not filled out properly. There has already been discussion over the powers of the election boards to "fix" these ballots before then counting them. This will become a major issue when this hits the courts. The margins in these states will be super-tight.

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I'm surprised that NH didn't go for Trump based on all the signs I saw up there. 

I saw way fewer Trump signs around my area vs 16. Way more for Biden vs Hillary too. I don’t base it on signs, but I’m not surprised by the outcome. 

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

None of this also explains why the vote tallying in PHL and other places was simply stopped last night... has that ever happened before? Just taking a break on counting over night after Election Day?

Where did you see Philly stopping?   Maybe its a volume issue or that different cities/counties have different methods.  No idea

Edit: Philly commissioner said they can do 10-12K per hour.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's my understanding. I'm sure many of the mail-in ballots are not filled out properly. There has already been discussion over the powers of the election boards to "fix" these ballots before then counting them. This will become a major issue when this hits the courts. The margins in these states will be super-tight.

Honestly how do you mess up filling out a ballot? If you can't figure out how to fill out a ballot, we're not going to spend any time deciphering it - throw it out.  

The long lines at the polls bother me to.  It's not fair - you should be able to go in and vote in a half hour or less. It's ridiculous that people have to wait hours to vote. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I really don’t want to let too much politics into this forum when we have a political forum for that. I don’t mind a few general posts, but let’s keep it from going down the heated debate road. 

No one can figure out how to sign up for AmPol lol.  You never get the e-mail to confirm your account. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I saw way fewer Trump signs around my area vs 16. Way more for Biden vs Hillary too. I don’t base it on signs, but I’m not surprised by the outcome. 

I do agree there were more Biden signs this time too - seemed like there were more in general for all parties.  Especially that Corky Messner guy. 

2 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Is that the game plan on the right?  If it’s a frivolous fishing expedition, it’s sad one party will risk our democracy toward its end. 

I think both parties are prepared to litigate. Counting ballots with no postmark and received after Election Day is definitely "fishy."

• Weenie 1