• Member Statistics

    16,103
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Christina
    Newest Member
    Christina
    Joined
wdrag

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

Recommended Posts

Massive tree damage in my neighborhood. One big tree fell on a house and several other large ones down or substantially damaged. Traffic lights on Jericho Turnpike mostly out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SRRTA22 said:

For sure. That monday evening nearing high tide,  we were most definitely gusting 75-90 mph throughout nyc metro. If i remember correctly there was ~85mph wind gust around 8pm at kewr

For most near the coast Sandy was definitely higher. Given the tree damage where I am though we must’ve had gusts into the 70s today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

No way brooklyn only got 46mph gusts

Way too low

Kingsborough College on their Davis sensor gusted to 64 mph. Don't know if it meets official NWS anemometer criteria though.

My station (which is shielded by a trees to it's east) gusted to 45 mph, so I am sure they had higher winds in the borough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

 

There is no doubt winds were lower than Sandy.  I guess we had more leaves off the trees than we realized because way more trees are down today but for some reason I recall that being a late foliage season.  I felt winds in Merrick were 80-90 during Sandy and the obs at ISP and JFK of 94 and 75 sort of confirm that.  Today was 65-75 and way more trees went down

This was March 2010 type of wind.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

For most near the coast Sandy was definitely higher. Given the tree damage where I am though we must’ve had gusts into the 70s today. 

According to the reports, Freeport was sustained at 44mph and Carle Place's highest gust was 43 mph.  Yea....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SRRTA22 said:

For sure. That monday evening nearing high tide,  we were most definitely gusting 75-90 mph throughout nyc metro. If i remember correctly there was ~85mph wind gust around 8pm at kewr

78mph was the highest at EWR.

90mph at ISP and 85mph at JFK.

Eatons Neck was the highest recorded at 96mph on the north shore of LI (but it's slightly elevated- 71ft)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...not too much tree damage out this way..but the lack of rain we got out here

is pretty amazing..KFOK reported only 0.05 inches of rain and with a dry forecast coming

the next few days its really going to be dry...maybe a repeat of the "sunrise highway fires"

during the summer of '95..hope not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tatamy said:

Have now surpassed 4” of rain with this event.

3BF272CE-C24B-4539-8F84-9CB1F413CC29.jpeg

I waited all day for things to quiet down before giving you this important information. You will never get accurate rain amounts with your gauge mounted that way. 

  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rjay said:

This was March 2010 type of wind.   

That storm lasted much longer and dumped a lot more rain in our area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parts of the region experienced wind gusts past 70 mph. Sites reporting wind gusts of 70 mph or above included:

Berkeley Twp, NJ: 75 mph
Blue Point, NY: 71 mph
Cape May NOS, NJ: 75 mph
Grasonville, MD: 71 mph
Great Gull Island, NY: 73 mph
Great South Bay, NY: 75 mph
Farmingdale, NY: 78 mph
Jackson Heights, NY: 73 mph
New York City-JFK Airport: 70 mph
Ocean City, NJ: 72 mph
Rutgers, NJ: 70 mph
Smyrna Landing (2 NW), DE: 96 mph
Stony Brook, NY: 75 mph
Toms River, NJ: 70 mph
 

impressive @donsutherland1

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Parts of the region experienced wind gusts past 70 mph. Sites reporting wind gusts of 70 mph or above included:

Berkeley Twp, NJ: 75 mph
Blue Point, NY: 71 mph
Cape May NOS, NJ: 75 mph
Grasonville, MD: 71 mph
Great Gull Island, NY: 73 mph
Great South Bay, NY: 75 mph
Farmingdale, NY: 78 mph
Jackson Heights, NY: 73 mph
New York City-JFK Airport: 70 mph
Ocean City, NJ: 72 mph
Rutgers, NJ: 70 mph
Smyrna Landing (2 NW), DE: 96 mph
Stony Brook, NY: 75 mph
Toms River, NJ: 70 mph
 

impressive @donsutherland1

So are you done downplaying wind yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Pseg updated, 338,000 out now on the island, could be a week 

Still no sign of any pseg trucks near the hospital I work at. We’re on generator 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got power back after 7 or 8 hours being out.  

 

Wind gusts were definitely stronger for Sandy.  I had an 85 MPH gust then.  Topped out at 57 today.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That storm lasted much longer and dumped a lot more rain in our area.

I didn't compare this storm to March 2010.  Just peak winds.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are lucky that the islands weakened this storm and it didn't come  at high tide.

Our luck  will eventually  run out again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, tim said:

...not too much tree damage out this way..but the lack of rain we got out here

is pretty amazing..KFOK reported only 0.05 inches of rain and with a dry forecast coming

the next few days its really going to be dry...maybe a repeat of the "sunrise highway fires"

during the summer of '95..hope not.

I was in Pittsburgh for Hurricane Ike.  Similar winds without a drop of rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Pseg updated, 338,000 out now on the island, could be a week 

LOL. So the 95k at 4:46 wasn’t even close. Yeah, 338k seems much more likely given the tree damage I’ve seen. Glad I’m not one of them this time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

is it really going to be a week before i get power?

Depends how many are out.  If you compare it to Sandy you may get an idea.  Long Island has 30% the number of outages compared to Sandy and that took 16 days although by Day 11 90% or more were back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Sandy we had no power for ten days, but literally every single transformer in town blew up. Unless I'm mistaken, most of these power outages are related to downed wires which are easier to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.