Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs Thread 2018

George BM

22 minutes ago, yoda said:

For isolated damaging wind gusts or isolated tornado?

more for damaging wind, as wind profiles are strong but somewhat unidirectional.    Still, there is perhaps enough low-level backing of winds closer to the sfc flow to make it so that an isolated tornado cannot be ruled out.       Instability is limited (which prevents a more robust threat), but low-level lapse rates will be good.     Forecasts like these intrigue me.....

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 12.17.20 AM.png

• Thanks 1

About .6" from this so far, and partly sunny skies here this morning.  For once, it's nice to live in Bustville.  Temps stayed in the 30s and low 40s all night and we've had no wind to speak of.  Quite pleased to have missed 2" of rain, storms, and gusty winds.  Sounds like this storm busted, in general, for the region.  Hopefully, that continues today.

10 hours ago, high risk said:

Seems like a pretty good shot that northern VA, eastern WV, western MD, and south-central PA will get a MRGL risk for severe Friday, with an outside chance of an eventual SLGT.

So, no MRGL yet, although based on SPC's Day 1 outlook, they almost pulled the trigger on it.    Still think that there is a window for some interesting cells, especially west and northwest of DC during the mid and late afternoon hours, although the forcing mechanism is admittedly unclear.    Most guidance also has a forced line of heavy showers along the cold front during the late evening, but the wind fields will have largely relaxed by then.

11 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

On the 1980 analogy, it wasn't really meant as a full winter analogue, I just remembered this similar heavy rain producing low without snow in the circulation, then that's what followed. 

Oddly enough...I looked up BWI's precipitation records for December 1979 and we had less than an inch total! So maybe the bulk of that storm skipped over Baltimore/Maryland, lol

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Oddly enough...I looked up BWI's precipitation records for December 1979 and we had less than an inch total! So maybe the bulk of that storm skipped over Baltimore/Maryland, lol

Judging by some of your recent posts, if you had been around for the majority of the winters in these parts in the 70's, you would have been institutionalized.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Judging by some of your recent posts, if you had been around for the majority of the winters in these parts in the 70's, you would have been institutionalized.

Oh look...another bait! I'm past yesterday (andthe days prior)...new day. I hope folks can just let it go and not make me pay for it the rest of the season. (And for the record, I would've been just fine...likely the hardening would have been quicker with that snow drought! But...I think 77-78 and 78-79 must have been all the more sweet after all that!)

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh look...another bait! I'm past yesterday...new day. I hope folks can just let it go. (And for the record, I would've been just fine...likely the hardening would have been quicker with that snow drought! But...I think 77-78 and 78-79 must have been all the more sweet after all that!)

The blizzard of 79 is still my favorite snowstorm.  Under-forecasted and incredibly heavy snow rates.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh look...another bait! I'm past yesterday (andthe days prior)...new day. I hope folks can just let it go and not make me pay for it the rest of the season. (And for the record, I would've been just fine...likely the hardening would have been quicker with that snow drought! But...I think 77-78 and 78-79 must have been all the more sweet after all that!)

I know I sure appreciated those two winters after the disaster winters prior.   Actually you could back it up a year to 76-77 which was a special winter in its own right with sustained bitter cold and snowy landscape that endured for a good month or more.  But I finally got my snow fix with the Feb. '78 blizzard, it was more like a mini-blizzard in Baltimore (where I lived).   Baltimore got some intense wrap around bands from that primarily New England storm. It snowed hard for 5-6 hours on strong northerly winds that gusted approx. 45-50 mph.   Dropped a good foot of snow on most of Baltimore and the winds created drifts I hadn't seen since the big blizzard of '66.  Then of course the monumental February of '79 was great with the sustained cold, two heavy snowfalls each around 6" followed by the big dog PD1 (snow on snow).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

I know I sure appreciated those two winters after the disaster winters prior.   Actually you could back it up a year to 76-77 which was a special winter in its own right with sustained bitter cold and snowy landscape that endured for a good month or more.  But I finally got my snow fix with the Feb. '78 blizzard, it was more like a mini-blizzard in Baltimore (where I lived).   Baltimore got some intense wrap around bands from that primarily New England storm. It snowed hard for 5-6 hours on strong northerly winds that gusted approx. 45-50 mph.   Dropped a good foot of snow on most of Baltimore and the winds created drifts I hadn't seen since the big blizzard of '66.  Then of course the monumental February of '79 was great with the sustained cold, two heavy snowfalls each around 6" followed by the big dog PD1 (snow on snow).

You should have been in the mid-west in '78, which was ground zero for that blizzard.  Was a truly magnificent display of what mother nature can muster.  Was a teenager in HS and will never forget it.  The flash freeze from 40's to teens in a few hours,  the wind and white out conditions stick out the most.  Oh my that wind.  Remember waking up for school and thinking to myself what the heck is that noise?  Our mom told us what was going on and that all the first responders were assembling at the firehouse (that's where people go in a small mid-west town of 5500 when stuff happens).  My dad helped deliver multiple babies in that 48 hours in very challenging conditions (he was one of the first paramedics in Ohio).  

Massive power outages, drifts that closed roads for weeks until the snowblowers from Dayton Aiport and WPAFB came out to do their thing.  National guard deployed to help evacuate people and assist in getting food to stranded livestock.  Grocery stores running out of food.  It was epic and within only a couple of days from being cataclysmic when the food ran out.  They got the roads open just in time.  People start to do dire things when they are hungry.  Never forget it...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic