Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs Thread 2018

George BM

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Holy crap, I heard thunder and it was awesome!

Was outside about 45 mins ago getting the trash can.  Was talking to our neighbor and had a lightening strike about 100 yds away - hit a tree.  That really got out attention!  Can't help but to instantly duck, as if that's going to do any good after the fact.  

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
400 PM EST FRI DEC 21 2018

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southeastern Loudoun County in northern Virginia...
  The City of Fairfax in northern Virginia...
  Fairfax County in northern Virginia...
  The City of Manassas Park in northern Virginia...
  Prince William County in northern Virginia...
  The City of Manassas in northern Virginia...

* Until 445 PM EST.

* At 400 PM EST, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from near The Plains to 10 miles west of Montclair,
  moving north at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Alexandria, Centreville, Dale City, Reston, Annandale, Springfield,
  South Riding, Herndon, Fairfax, Fort Hunt, Vienna, Groveton, Falls
  Church, Broadlands, Lansdowne, Lowes Island, Brambleton, Mantua,
  Fort Belvoir and Pimmit Hills.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Get indoors to protect yourself from wind and lightning. Trees around
you may be downed from damaging winds, so if you are near large
trees, move to an interior room on the lowest floor. Don`t drive
underneath trees or in wooded areas until the threat has passed.

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Nam twins scrape the m/d line Sunday evening with some snow showers . Enough to keep my eye on . Ukie has precip too but not sure about its surface temps . Actually euro has very light stuff as well ( surface a lil warm verbatim atm)...hmmm maby a little sumpin sumpin 

Euro has  .10 for our area.

37 minutes ago, RDM said:

You should have been in the mid-west in '78, which was ground zero for that blizzard.  Was a truly magnificent display of what mother nature can muster.  Was a teenager in HS and will never forget it.  The flash freeze from 40's to teens in a few hours,  the wind and white out conditions stick out the most.  Oh my that wind.  Remember waking up for school and thinking to myself what the heck is that noise?  Our mom told us what was going on and that all the first responders were assembling at the firehouse (that's where people go in a small mid-west town of 5500 when stuff happens).  My dad helped deliver multiple babies in that 48 hours in very challenging conditions (he was one of the first paramedics in Ohio).  

Massive power outages, drifts that closed roads for weeks until the snowblowers from Dayton Aiport and WPAFB came out to do their thing.  National guard deployed to help evacuate people and assist in getting food to stranded livestock.  Grocery stores running out of food.  It was epic and within only a couple of days from being cataclysmic when the food ran out.  They got the roads open just in time.  People start to do dire things when they are hungry.  Never forget it...

Think he was referring to the northeastern blizzard Of 78’ which was a separate event. 

another line approaching MoCo has promoted yet another warning:

MDC031-212215-
/O.NEW.KLWX.SV.W.0310.181221T2129Z-181221T2215Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
429 PM EST FRI DEC 21 2018

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Montgomery County in central Maryland...

* Until 515 PM EST.

* At 429 PM EST, more severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from Lansdowne to Reston, moving northeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Germantown, Rockville, Bethesda, Gaithersburg, Olney, Damascus,
  Lansdowne, Lowes Island, Poolesville, Aspen Hill, Potomac, North
  Bethesda, Montgomery Village, North Potomac, Redland, Great Falls,
  Boyds, Rossmoor, Wheaton-Glenmont and Wheaton.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Get indoors to protect yourself from wind and lightning. Trees around
you may be downed from damaging winds, so if you are near large
trees, move to an interior room on the lowest floor. Don`t drive
underneath trees or in wooded areas until the threat has passed.

&&

LAT...LON 3934 7718 3927 7714 3924 7705 3919 7700
      3917 7701 3916 7698 3897 7719 3898 7724
      3903 7726 3906 7733 3907 7745 3913 7752
      3925 7740 3934 7720
TIME...MOT...LOC 2129Z 220DEG 40KT 3908 7746 3894 7735

HAIL...<.75IN
WIND...60MPH

$$

DHOF

1 hour ago, RDM said:

You should have been in the mid-west in '78, which was ground zero for that blizzard.  Was a truly magnificent display of what mother nature can muster.  Was a teenager in HS and will never forget it.  The flash freeze from 40's to teens in a few hours,  the wind and white out conditions stick out the most.  Oh my that wind.  Remember waking up for school and thinking to myself what the heck is that noise?  Our mom told us what was going on and that all the first responders were assembling at the firehouse (that's where people go in a small mid-west town of 5500 when stuff happens).  My dad helped deliver multiple babies in that 48 hours in very challenging conditions (he was one of the first paramedics in Ohio).  

Massive power outages, drifts that closed roads for weeks until the snowblowers from Dayton Aiport and WPAFB came out to do their thing.  National guard deployed to help evacuate people and assist in getting food to stranded livestock.  Grocery stores running out of food.  It was epic and within only a couple of days from being cataclysmic when the food ran out.  They got the roads open just in time.  People start to do dire things when they are hungry.  Never forget it...

Actually that was a separate storm from the one I am talking about.  The midwest (Ohio) blizzard was near the end of January.  The one I am talking about was an eastern seaboard coastal system that developed way out over the ocean in early Feb around the 5th, 6th but moved to the northwest into New England with major wrap around side effects into northern MD, New Jersey, Eastern PA, Delaware.

31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Actually that was a separate storm from the one I am talking about.  The midwest (Ohio) blizzard was near the end of January.  The one I am talking about was an eastern seaboard coastal system that developed way out over the ocean in early Feb around the 5th, 6th but moved to the northwest into New England with major wrap around side effects into northern MD, New Jersey, Eastern PA, Delaware.

Ok - regret the confusion on my part.  I thought the east coast got the trailing end of the mid-west storm.  The mid-west storm had one one the lowest pressures ever recorded over conus.  I think it was 3rd if not mistaken.  Didn't realize the east coast had its own storm in Feb.  Guess with the setup that spawned the Jan blizzard in the mid-west, it would be practical to have had another shortly thereafter along the east coast wrt patterns and how one phased event often generates another on its heels.  

After a 54.4 degree high around 1pm, winds turned W about 4 pm and temp has fallen to 40.1/38.0. Question is will the moisture hang around long enough for the colder air to catch it like down SW of me in Bluefield/Wise/Tazewell? We shall see......

Another 1+ in the gauge today, just adding to the record rainfall for the year.

7 hours ago, Sparky said:

79 I think. ocean froze  in OC out 200’

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic