Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Latest MAV for KBOS is an 8 muthufukkas!

I don't understand the more conservative forecasts after the overnight runs... seems very strong consensus for warning criteria (Euro, 0z and more so 6z NAM, RGEMs, HRPDS, HRRR, ICON, BTV WRF)... only GFS and CMC whose ptype's look questionable

4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I don't understand the more conservative forecasts after the overnight runs... seems very strong consensus for warning criteria (Euro, 0z and more so 6z NAM, RGEMs, HRPDS, HRRR, ICON, BTV WRF)... only GFS and CMC whose ptype's look questionable

Psychology maybe after last Friday?   It’s crazy but how many time have you rethought a lot of diagnoses after one went badly?  Conservative is ok but ignoring signs seems fool hardy.

Psychology maybe after last Friday?   It’s crazy but how many time have you rethought a lot of diagnoses after one went badly?  Conservative is ok but ignoring signs seems fool hardy.
Me Bob and Brett are definitely riding the line down here. Box and the TV Mets are either going to look very smart or or they will be scrambling to up their totals while it's snowing. All of the forecast are still essentially 0.0 here

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yeah I think that's actually happening, and got that impression reading the AFD

Looking at guidance I'm scratching my head wondering what I'm missing. Everything has trended colder and we are no longer sitting on the fence, the rates are there...

Warmest the 6z NAM gets:

6z_NAM_KBOS_soundings_at_18z.jpg.7b84129349e719f468181e4b05fe6e45.jpg

I am so distraught that overnight BOX lowered my forecast total from 15" to 14".    :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I wonder if this thing is timed just right, that despite this being Greenfield's biggest storm of the season we do not miss a day of school?  Early dismissal today and maybe 2 hour delay tomorrow?   All while getting a foot mid week.   The kids will be furious but parents will rejoice. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am so distraught that overnight BOX lowered my forecast total from 15" to 14".    :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I wonder if this thing is timed just right, that despite this being Greenfield's biggest storm of the season we do not miss a day of school?  Early dismissal today and maybe 2 hour delay tomorrow?   All while getting a foot mid week.   The kids will be furious but parents will rejoice. 

Yeah, they sent a letter home two days ago saying early dismissal today, then cancelled last night,.

Cranky with the best gfs summation I’ve ever seen

Even the horrid GFS model finally gave up the goat and came into line with the process. It has been atrocious recently especially with thermals. Why this wouldn't be immediately tossed from the start I don't know. You didn't even have to analyze it you just had to remember it was a disaster the past four or five storms with thermals and simply ignore it.

6 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Tough break! I could see it going either way tommorow, depending on the impact (Delay vs Closure). But if they are trying to avoid using a snow day, the timing is perfect.

Based on the early Jan storm, I would expect closures tomorrow, especially if we get some wind.  If this shuts off at 3AM or so, it will be hard for places to get things opened up enough even with a delay.  Just my thoughts

14 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Looks like the snow is spreading east already, nice ocean effect squalls coming in with the easterly flow. Got hit with one even out this way earlier this morning dropping a nice fluff coating and more incoming possibly it looks like. 31F

The stuff we got overnight I think was from the east I think?  0.25" at my house

6 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Huh latest HRRR warms the ct coast up to 38 and we rain until the afternoon. Don’t follow the HRRR enough to know if it’s accurate but that seems even warmer than what the gfs thermals were.

Wow. Snow line seems to be Bridgeport. Do we toss or should we be concerned?

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Wow. Snow line seems to be Bridgeport. Do we toss or should we be concerned?

Well it certainly delivered the goods afterwards and gives us 12 inches by 16hr (and it’s still snowing) but I wouldn’t be too surprised if we had a period of rain during the later morning when the precip is still light.  Hopefully it’s just bad thermals though. 

Just now, Sn0waddict said:

Well it certainly delivered the goods afterwards and gives us 12 inches by 16hr (and it’s still snowing) but I wouldn’t be too surprised if we had a period of rain during the later morning when the precip is still light.  Hopefully it’s just bad thermals though. 

Plus its the HRRR. The RGEM had the same rain to thundersnow idea.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They will be marginal in the final 1000ft. And probably not go below 33 for many hours. Plus, relying on dynamics. So, 3-6 is a good start on the water there I think, but obviously worried it could be more. I could see western parts of the city double that. If I use 950Tw, they most certainly are snow on the NAM this evening and overnight. 

Could be an all-time melt from me. We'll see

@NWSBoston on twitter emphasizing the "how much sticks" rather than what's falling:

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/971371977872113665

"Snow totals are how much will be on the ground. That's the challenge for E MA. We know it will snow, even to the coast, but how much will stick with temperatures just above freezing? That's going to be our focus today."

Archived