Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What I feel like we are seeing occur is the northern stream s/w is so strong it rips around the base of the closed off ULL and that tugs what would normally be a great closed ULL S and E with it and pulling all the best dynamics with it.

Just now, wxsniss said:

Just looking at stuff quickly:

Look at Euro hour 30... you think that cluster of lows arcing around the benchmark should consolidate just east of the Cape. Then at hour 36 it abruptly jumps > 150 miles to southeast of the benchmark.

Without that abrupt jump southeast, we'd have a nuke blizzard.

I wish I could dismiss it, but the 0z Euro and most guidance today does the same jump.

Why is it making that jump?

I think it's what I posted early this morning/last night: the bulk of vorticity is southeast of our ULL... vs. 4/97 when the bulk of vorticity circled north and even northwest of our ULL.

Is there a chance this depiction could evolve?

I think so, and the hi-res models (3k NAM, HRDPS, even 6z-12z RGEM shift) hint that we could get a closer consolidation.

But this is getting close. Could every model (Euro, GFS, CMC in particular) continue to be blind to the thermals and dynamic cooling? Sure, but would be more confident if at least 1 model (in addition to NAM) somehow overcame the thermal issues with a big snow hit in eastern SNE.

My post from an hour ago that fell on deaths ears.  

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Just looking at stuff quickly:

Look at Euro hour 30... you think that cluster of lows arcing around the benchmark should consolidate just east of the Cape. Then at hour 36 it abruptly jumps > 150 miles to southeast of the benchmark.

Without that abrupt jump southeast, we'd have a nuke blizzard.

I wish I could dismiss it, but the 0z Euro and most guidance today does the same jump.

Why is it making that jump?

I think it's what I posted early this morning/last night: the bulk of vorticity is southeast of our ULL... vs. 4/97 when the bulk of vorticity circled north and even northwest of our ULL.

Is there a chance this depiction could evolve?

I think so, and the hi-res models (3k NAM, HRDPS, even 6z-12z RGEM shift) hint that we could get a closer consolidation.

But this is getting close. Could every model (Euro, GFS, CMC in particular) continue to be blind to the thermals and dynamic cooling? Sure, but would be more confident if at least 1 model (in addition to NAM) somehow overcame the thermal issues with a big snow hit in eastern SNE.

I said the same thing...need to see at least one blizzard model.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I said the same thing...need to see at o least one blizzard model. 

Ray look at 12z gefs individual members

A couple turn the lights out in SNH /NE mass even w the warm thermals

12z gfs had best 850's i seen on any global and the flip was faster and ooo So close to much faster

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

with this thing all rain ... how would people grade the winter thus far - 

A+...freezing cold and snowy December and January, Christmas day snow, a 12''+ blizzard, and then a beautiful transition to spring. Perfect. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

with this thing all rain ... how would people grade the winter thus far - 

D-   

This would be a no affect/ push if all rain due to the ferocity of it and the coastal aspects.  Rain bad, coast destruction good (not really)

I was thinking D-F already due to below average snow, lots of ice due to melting/refreezing, little retention, lots of rain

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My post from an hour ago that fell on deaths ears.  

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I said the same thing...need to see at least one blizzard model.

Yeah I hear ya... it's easy to feel our posts get unrecognized, but I think they just get lost in the shuffle.

No slight intended on my end, I just haven't had time to read through, let alone analyze the guidance as much as I want.

18z NAM looked maybe ticking slightly west with the surface low through 24 hrs... we'll take it here in eastern SNE... still have time to improve and want to see other models come towards NAM, not the other way around

4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah I hear ya... it's easy to feel our posts get unrecognized, but I think they just get lost in the shuffle.

No slight intended on my end, I just haven't had time to read through, let alone analyze the guidance as much as I want.

18z NAM looked maybe ticking slightly west with the surface low through 24 hrs... we'll take it here in eastern SNE... still have time to improve and want to see other models come towards NAM, not the other way around

... and that's related to pieces of vorticity that circled west of the ULL (not as robust in 12z run)... this is a good trend

I think the more we can get energy to circle north/northwest of our ULL, the better chance of countering that jump southeast

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Where you headed? I'm thinking of driving up to the Hunter area early in the am before things get bad and spending the day/night in like Tannersville. Really depends on what it's doing imby when I wake up. 

Go for it.  The more posters we can get there the better for the obs thread lol.

Im really jealous.  They get some QPF whoppers up there on prolonged east flow.  If I still lived near ALB I'd be there in a heartbeat.  1800-2000ft is the real deal elevation for hanging out at a ski area base like Hunter.

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

... and that's related to pieces of vorticity that circled west of the ULL (not as robust in 12z run)... this is a good trend

I think the more we can get energy to circle north/northwest of our ULL, the better chance of countering that jump southeast

Those usually align with deathbands, that's why I always look at them. It really tries hard to nail the NYC metro this run.

Archived