Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

28 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I'm looking at the Helderberg Escarpment (1600') out my classroom window right now (400'), about to drive home (225').  Tomorrow should be quite interesting.  Our school has 2 bus runs on the escarpment and the rest down here.  Roads might be fine down here while the mountain gets destroyed.  Tough snow day call.  Will the precip be heavy enough for dynamic cooling down here in the valley?  All hail the NAM! 

Thatcher Park all the way!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best forecast I can find so far as far as NWS zone forecasts go.

18-24" of snow with winds up to 55mph...sign me up in the Catskills.

Detailed forecast for

Western Greene

Tonight
Snow or rain. Snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Cold with lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Friday
Snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional snow accumulation of 12 to 16 inches. Windy and much cooler. Near steady temperature around 30. North winds 20 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph, increasing to 55 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
Friday Night
Cloudy. Snow, mainly in the evening. Total snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches. Very windy and cold. Near steady temperature around 30. North winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph, diminishing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight. Chance of snow 80 percent.

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow and gusty winds expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 12 to 24 inches, with localized amounts up to
  30 inches, are expected. Wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph are possible
  tomorrow afternoon into the evening producing blowing and
  drifting snow.

* WHERE...Schoharie, Western Albany, Western Greene and Western
  Ulster Counties.

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

Woah look at 8z Saturday on the 18z RGEM...! Those slingshotting mesolows really do benefit eastern SNE...

These large expanding upper lows often have some surprises with them and they can "overstay their welcome" so to speak. As the low tries to drift SE, the expanding circulation tries to offset that some and keep us in the firing line.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Best forecast I can find so far as far as NWS zone forecasts go.

18-24" of snow with winds up to 55mph...sign me up in the Catskills.

Detailed forecast for

Western Greene

Tonight
Snow or rain. Snow accumulation of 4 to 6 inches. Cold with lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
Friday
Snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional snow accumulation of 12 to 16 inches. Windy and much cooler. Near steady temperature around 30. North winds 20 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 45 mph, increasing to 55 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
Friday Night
Cloudy. Snow, mainly in the evening. Total snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches. Very windy and cold. Near steady temperature around 30. North winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph, diminishing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph after midnight. Chance of snow 80 percent.

You're just trying to torture us, right?

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The wife is locking the knife drawer at 12z tomorrow.

I have somehow been able to remain emotionally unattached to this storm.   Maybe the December 92 analogs have kept me in check  but I refuse to let myself get caught up in the what if  or what could have been if we even had a Canadian moose fart of cold air to work with.  

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

You're just trying to torture us, right?

I'm not there either...  Torturing myself too maybe? 

I think that's been a lock for days and days in New York.  Just fun to read the high end impact statements.

Anyway, if folks in SNE don't think anything has been cleared up... I was just seeing that the BGM NWS office has the probabilities for SYR: 10% probability is 30" and the 90% probability is 3".  So 3-30" it is.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

These large expanding upper lows often have some surprises with them and they can "overstay their welcome" so to speak. As the low tries to drift SE, the expanding circulation tries to offset that some and keep us in the firing line.

18z NAM did something similar

Something to watch. Some would say we're searching for scraps at this point in eastern SNE, but I'm still not 100% certain the synoptics of the low centers can't subtly improve with a disproportionate improvement in outcome.

Archived