joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn we could have used some rain, the farmers around here are starting to sweat it now. Several articles in local papers this week about reduced crop yields etc.

I have  never seen the Ct river so low, people were wading into the middle and it was only 2-3" deep.   Seems a bit foolish since the folks I saw were just downstream from the Turners Falls damn which can have rapidly changing currents. 

18 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah white faced hornets are really nasty when pretty close to the nest...but they won't chase you as far as yellow jackets, and they also won't sting you as easily unprovoked as yellow jackets. Yellow jackets seem to sting just for the hell of it, but WFH won't. Usually only if you disturb their nest or accidently step on one (which I did as a teenage...incredibly painful and it bothered me walking for a day or so).

Yellow jackets are definitely a more dangerous insect but the white faced hornets probably have the most painful sting of any of them.

I've not noticed any difference in sting power, though I've never been nailed by both kinds of insect at the same sitting.  Also, my lifetime WFH stings are less than 10, while for their smaller and more aggressive cousins, the number is well into the hundreds.  (Not that I've kept score.)

On July 27, 2016 at 7:15 PM, CoastalWx said:

Ended up checking out lower Falls on the Kancamangus today. What a spot. Tricky for my 3.5 yr old, but they have natural waterslides. That road is awesome. I always get drawn into the majesty of the mtns when I'm there. I love the ocean, but the mountains always strike a cord with me.

Probably my favorite spot in that area. Always head there once or twice when staying in North Conway.

The pool at the bottom of the falls is pretty good for kids 

25 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

The ants that i have seem to laugh at that stuff...i think they are flying in their relatives for the party.

I'll say this, it is amazing how many ants come to the party and in the short term there is an increase in activity but after a few days...they gone, at least for me.  I've use both the drops and the actual weather resistant traps which I leave outside in a protected spot.  A protected spot because some kind of wildlife loves to destroy those traps, not sure what though.

4 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

As have I.  Wiped out a large colony in my house last year.  The stuff is pretty much like meth for ants ... they had a huge orgy in it.

Yes, Wont use anything but this from Terro, Have used it for several years inside and outside in the garden and it works excellent on all the different species of ants, They swarm to it for a day or two then, Gone

91ab0b9d-9563-44c2-9433-a88fa609f28f_400

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'll say this, it is amazing how many ants come to the party and in the short term there is an increase in activity but after a few days...they gone, at least for me.  I've use both the drops and the actual weather resistant traps which I leave outside in a protected spot.  A protected spot because some kind of wildlife loves to destroy those traps, not sure what though.

I had a couple mice in my shed get after the terro ant trap, But we took care of them as well, They have a fetish for peanut butter

i've been battling mice for many years at my dad's place where we keep our snowmobiles. every fall it's the same thing, pull out the sleds, fire up the shop vac to suck out the mice and their nests, then clean the belly pan of the sleds of all the mouse piss. worst smell ever. we tried out something new this year, can't think of the name of it but it is a bait trap with poison that the mice bring back to the nest, and they die within 24 hours. already found a few victims in the snowmobile trailer.

ants are another story, they are all over the barn. just too much open area to make them go away, although we have thought about trying the Terro, just to see if it puts a dent in the population at all.

32 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Those of us that follow TWC.

Reported recently Dave Schwartz has passed.

He was like the best one or one of the best ones of that 1980s and 1990s weather channel era. He had a phenomenal geographical knowledge of United States he could reference just about anything from physical features to traditions of random communities while he was broadcasting weather stuff

Archived