Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who is the forum owner paying as their IT consultant to help fix this, and also any other issues moving forward? Is there a while paid IT consulting firm or just one paid person?

Thankfully the :weenie: still works.

Guys we're annoyed as much as you. Trust me. 

23 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Finally, a legit chance of rain.

I'm not sure anything is legit this summer in Eastern Mass.   Radar looked good for me this morning and now I don't think I will see a drop.  Whole area is diminishing in intensity.  

5 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Pretty decent thunder and lightning between 2-3 am. ..couple house rattlers

1.62" in the gauge this AM.  2.18" over the past few days.

8.88" over the past 30 days, dustbowl conditions continue here in SVT.

Man it's been wet in SVT...that's pretty crazy that you're at almost 9" in 30 days while vegetation 50 miles away is dying quickly lol.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man it's been wet in SVT...that's pretty crazy that you're at almost 9" in 30 days while vegetation 50 miles away is dying quickly lol.

Yea, convective luck I guess. To your point, I drove over to ALB about a week and half ago and drove through Troy, NY (just E of ALB as you probably know) and it looked like it had not rained in 3 years, not even a green weed in sight.  Troy is about 50 miles from me.

Although its been pretty wet all around ALB in the past week, so probably greening up some now.

it boggles the mind .. or should, the power in technology forcing culture's (for lack of better word) evolution. 

i'm not considered an older man - not yet anyway. ..call it, right square in the middle of 'not a kid anymore'? 

i'm young enough to still embrace youth in denial, while operating with a facade of reverence not quite yet earned like the truer wisdom owners among us. for those guys and gals, some of them new a reality quite different even then us. their television was but an article in a popular science periodical read on prior to choking the farts outta the back end of an ass-driven plow after lunch.  hell, their parents were amazed at electricity. 

even i can remember black and white television ... with 'rabbit ear' antennae, and that 'dial' nob that you had to journey across the living-room savanna just to change between all 5 of the choices.. 

remember back in the days of television?   maybe a thing of the past in another 20 years. we have it on good authority that new technologies will be tailoring so much entertainment vectors to particular individual tastes, and their devices of choice, that the days of sitting in front of the modern caveman's evening fire ... conveying stories from the shamans and elders, will then be more like Bic lighters we tote around out of pocket.  the NFL is already tailoring their product for mobile devices as we speak.  unthinkable - sunday football will die some day too.   

the children of today know only of a world that bears no resemblance to their grand-parent's, who, know only of a world that's always existed.  

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it boggles the mind .. or should, the power in technology forcing culture's (for lack of better word) evolution. 

i'm not considered an older man - not yet anyway. ..call it, right square in the middle of 'not a kid anymore'? 

i'm young enough to still embrace youth in denial, while operating with a facade of reverence not quite yet earned like the truer wisdom owners among us. for those guys and gals, some of them new a reality quite different even then us. their television was but an article in a popular science periodical read on prior to choking the farts outta the back end of an ass-driven plow after lunch.  hell, their parents were amazed at electricity. 

even i can remember black and white television ... with 'rabbit ear' antennae, and that 'dial' nob that you had to journey across the living-room savanna just to change between all 5 of the choices.. 

remember back in the days of television?   maybe a thing of the past in another 20 years. we have it on good authority that new technologies will be tailoring so much entertainment vectors to particular individual tastes, and their devices of choice, that the days of sitting in front of the modern caveman's evening fire ... conveying stories from the shamans and elders, will then be more like Bic lighters we tote around out of pocket.  the NFL is already tailoring their product for mobile devices as we speak.  unthinkable - sunday football will die some day too.   

the children of today know only of a world that bears no resemblance to their grand-parent's, who, know only of a world that's always existed.  

I'll bite. Children born today will know a world that bears almost no resemblance to our present one. In thirty years, things will be as different as 2000 was to 1900; and that may be conservative. Important breakthroughs in medicine, genetics, engineering, additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, quantum and optical computing, pure science, etc. are already almost commonplace, and the frequency of such advances is increasing.

Life expectancy will rapidly increase once we hit the 2030s, thanks to cheap genome sequencing, CRISPR-Cas9 based modifications to dangerous genetic mutations, cell therapies, immune therapies, telomere rejuvenation, etc. I fully expect that most cancers, even late stage, will be curable, along with bugaboos like Alzheimers and diabetes. Either we, or our children, may be the last generation of purely biological humans. Future generations may be preprogrammed at birth with certain desirable genetic traits.

There will be more robots in the world than humans, probably by a significant factor. A great deal of commerce will move by drone, providing same-hour delivery (already under testing by Amazon in some cities). There will likely be cheap, 3d printed domestic robots in our homes to do dishes, vacuum, laundry etc. Many operations will be performed by robots, with human surgeons only standing in occasionally. Only a few of us old fogies will still bother to drive ourselves. Penalties for human-error in crashes will be severe, as self-driving cars will be safer, faster and in constant communication with one another. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. Speed limits may be 100+ highway. There may not be much commuting anyway, as physical offices may not exist; telecommuting will give way to a virtual workscape and playscape. Virtual reality will be indistinguishable from, and in many ways better than, reality.

Net positive nuclear fusion may be a reality. Safer nuclear fission facilities will proliferate rapidly, as will cheaper solar alternatives.

Weather prediction may be pretty exact, hampered only by fundamental limits of quantum randomness and sampling. Exascale or maybe yottascale computing will boost modeling precision in ways we can't even imagine. Upton might confidently predict a Manitoba Mauler a month in advance, etc.

A.I. will have the most drastic societal effects; its scope and disruptive power is hard to overestimate. It will be the single most important development of the century, and possibly mankind's last invention. Already, the industry is a decade ahead of where many predicted, and all the big companies are pouring billions into developing it. Google's Deepmind trounced the best human Go player not long ago (which is man's most complicated game, and one that requires intuition and tact and can't be calculated by brute force iteration). There is every likelihood that AI will displace much of the work force and cause structural unemployment. We may have something like a two day work week. We may have casual conversations with our phones and computers (if they aren't already micro-meshed into our synapses). There will be significant societal strains, calls for income redistribution and probably a national basic income. When or whether AI achieves human intelligence is unknown (some, like Elon Musk, think 2030-40), but if it does, there will be an intelligence explosion. AI will rapidly become orders of magnitude smarter than humanity and then we won't be able to predict what will happen. It could be the greatest thing in history, or the cause of our extinction. But at the least, the world would be utterly unrecognizable, perhaps the sort of place we might imagine it to look like thousands of years from now.  

Or, then again, we could just end up nuking ourselves in petty wars or accidentally unleashing some devastating bio-engineered pandemic that wipes most of us out...

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

So after another failed attempt this morning of spraying .. I broke down and called someone.

$90.00 later.. This is what's left

For $90 you would have thought they would have gotten the entire thing.  I know it was in a tough area to get to but I would have wanted it entirely clear.

Archived