Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

It's really awful. There are trees all along the esplanade with scorched leaves, some dropping them. You occasionally get that distinctive sweet leaf decay smell like November. And the grass...no mowing required. Almost rooting for a recurving cane at this point.

My Rose of Sharon lost about 2/3 of its leaves last week.  Pretty hardy plant too.  Never seen it do that in the 8 or so years I've had it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

But ****loads of deer flies.    Worst season in memory.  A few weeks ago we were inundated with beetles the size of Japanese beetles, but dull brown in color and stupid and slow

Noticed them up in ME for what little time I was there.  Not much to speak of at home though.  Mosquitos just started to rear up after the rains though.

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My Rose of Sharon lost about 2/3 of its leaves last week.  Pretty hardy plant too.  Never seen it do that in the 8 or so years I've had it.

what's interesting about this 'drought' thing is that i don't think it's integrated that deeply into the regional earth.

Ayer is pretty much squarely in the nadir of the nashoba valley ...which drains into the Merrimack ... so forth, and is thus not too far above the water table.  area ponds are actually still doing reasonably well all things considered, while it's the brooks and streams that are down to trickling around pebbles and stones.  the nashua river still is topping the dam a little over in hollis so ... 

it think what's going on is that this is a top-soil scorch summer and the longer term hydro is actually only partially feeling it. 

is this the banter thread - 

...i haven't tried much lately quite frankly. not sure i see the purpose in trying. could be an awesome novel, but the industry is so predisposed to neglect unknown authored material, it's tantamount to, 'preordained to not succeed' 

seriously, i never really wrote it harboring any illusions of prosperity or even recognition.  just to know that i did - which is more than most. just for schits and giggles i did sprinkled a couple cover letters around to various publishing houses, but was was met with the usual rejections typical ,..if not entirely expected.

heh, f-it.  the other option is to self-publish on Amazon or the like.  i think if i cough up some coin they'll even do some minor marketing and art for you.  i haven't dug into it, tho - 

Took a mini tour of SNE & GC yesterday and today. Drove down to CT last night in order to go to the Travelers Championship today. Drought stricken Connecticut was fine except for the occasional haboub and camel caravan. On the way home, my son got tired of interstate driving so we hopped on Rt. 2 at Greenfield and headed west until MA112, which we took north to the VT state line. Chucked a few at Hippy and MPM as we passed through. Once we got to Wilmington we decided it was just going to take too long to go 100 all the way home so we took VT 9 to Brattleboro and I-91. A nice 40-50 mile trip to get from Greenfield to Brattleboro lol. Stopped on top of Hog a k to marvel at the view. 

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

Took a mini tour of SNE & GC yesterday and today. Drove down to CT last night in order to go to the Travelers Championship today. Drought stricken Connecticut was fine except for the occasional haboub and camel caravan. On the way home, my son got tired of interstate driving so we hopped on Rt. 2 at Greenfield and headed west until MA112, which we took north to the VT state line. Chucked a few at Hippy and MPM as we passed through. Once we got to Wilmington we decided it was just going to take too long to go 100 all the way home so we took VT 9 to Brattleboro and I-91. A nice 40-50 mile trip to get from Greenfield to Brattleboro lol. Stopped on top of Hog a k to marvel at the view. 

We always like visitors in GC--I hope you enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for tossing the weenies. 

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

That is quite the roundabout drive to Brattleboro,  turned a 20 minute drive into an hour!   Beautiful roads though, I've done that loop. 

Edit: if you are passing through again sometime Greenfield has a great food co-op on Main St (Rt 2a) with plenty of to go options and there is always the People's Pint.  : )

today is sneaking under the radar as one of the more uncomfortable days i recall of this summer up here along Rt 2... we've had ample insolation during the late morning/early afternoon and as such the temps have soared 90 ..91 ..with regional DP of 67 to 71.  if we can manage to add a couple clicks to the T, ..most of our heat this year has come in the 58 DP variety so this would rival the highest combination I would think - 

28 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

Whatever buttons you all pushed, Tapatalk and everything else is working great for me now. Very fast. Don't change anything! (Hopefully this doesn't double post)

Yup...the indexing is done and John restarted MySQL. The forum will be offline for a period tonight for a database conversion. Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Wow--the days really are shortening at this point.  We'll loose about an hour from now until the end of the month.

Tick-tock.

LOL. You have carried the baton admirably since it was passed to you by the fallen SKIMRG.

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Here we go with the summer is ending posts. Never fails come early August. With the warm fall ahead..it's safe to say there's 2-3 months of summer left 

You know exactly what he was getting at. It's the same as the people in early/mid Feb that discuss sun angle and winter ending , snow not sticking etc. 

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You know exactly what he was getting at. It's the same as the people in early/mid Feb that discuss sun angle and winter ending , snow not sticking etc. 

I really thought he was just commenting on the declining daylight....you even mentioned it on your run this week.

Archived