• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

I'll be traveling down to the weather mecca that is NE CT this weekend for a Sat-Mon stay at the family cabin on a lake in North Woodstock.  My father took this picture yesterday morning and said the thermometer said lower 50s and I think Metherb said he had a low of 52F so probably not far off that...can even see some steam or something on the water surface (water temps are like 75-80F from my uncle's thermometer off the dock). This little elevated lake (technically a pond I think) at 700ft sits in a nice little bowl with some 800-900ft elevations around and while I've never had any real good wx station there, I've found it radiates quite well for the location.

The funny thing to me, is that I come from a place most people would assume is the middle of nowhere.  When I tell someone from SNE that I'm living in north-central VT they think "East Bumfuk", however the cabin in NE CT is far more rural than most of the places I know around here.  Its like 15-20 minutes just to get to a grocery store (Southbridge, MA), forget pizza delivery, mail seems unreliable, they get plowed out days after a snowstorm, if the power goes out its going to be a while, high-speed internet took forever to get, and any services or stores require a significant amount of time.  Where I live now in 15-20 minutes I could *walk* the Mountain Road Rec Path to everything from multiple breweries to sushi to groceries to restaurants of Thai, Italian, BBQ, Mexican, etc, 5 banks, UPS store, movie theater, bowling allies etc.  It cracks me up because it even happens on this forum when folks are like no one cares what happens in the middle of nowhere in VT...while I think of parts of CT as the middle of nowhere.

Looking forward to traveling from busy Vermont to the countryside, 5 mile long dirt roads, and slow, relaxed, simple life of Connecticut.

Woodstock_compressed.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'll be traveling down to the weather mecca that is NE CT this weekend for a Sat-Mon stay at the family cabin on a lake in North Woodstock.  My father took this picture yesterday morning and said the thermometer said lower 50s and I think Metherb said he had a low of 52F so probably not far off that...can even see some steam or something on the water surface (water temps are like 75-80F from my uncle's thermometer off the dock). This little elevated lake (technically a pond I think) at 700ft sits in a nice little bowl with some 800-900ft elevations around and while I've never had any real good wx station there, I've found it radiates quite well for the location.

The funny thing to me, is that I come from a place most people would assume is the middle of nowhere.  When I tell someone from SNE that I'm living in north-central VT they think "East Bumfuk", however the cabin in NE CT is far more rural than most of the places I know around here.  Its like 15-20 minutes just to get to a grocery store (Southbridge, MA), forget pizza delivery, mail seems unreliable, they get plowed out days after a snowstorm, if the power goes out its going to be a while, high-speed internet took forever to get, and any services or stores require a significant amount of time.  Where I live now in 15-20 minutes I could *walk* the Mountain Road Rec Path to everything from multiple breweries to sushi to groceries to restaurants of Thai, Italian, BBQ, Mexican, etc, 5 banks, UPS store, movie theater, bowling allies etc.  It cracks me up because it even happens on this forum when folks are like no one cares what happens in the middle of nowhere in VT...while I think of parts of CT as the middle of nowhere.

Looking forward to traveling from busy Vermont to the countryside, 5 mile long dirt roads, and slow, relaxed, simple life of Connecticut.

Woodstock_compressed.jpg

Yep love these unknown rural NE CT spots

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep love these unknown rural NE CT spots

It really is awesome.  So many people have this stereotype of each place and it doesn't fit with my experiences, lol.

I travel to NE CT to relax in the countryside...from Vermont.  Pretty awesome and unknown rural corner of New England.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It really is awesome.  So many people have this stereotype of each place and it doesn't fit with my experiences, lol.

I travel to NE CT to relax in the countryside...from Vermont.  Pretty awesome and unknown rural corner of New England.

There is a lake literally a couple miles from my house you have to hike up a cliff to get to that is one of my favorite spots. Hidden gems in the quiet corner. I have been here 16 years and still explore a lot. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Go to Bigelow Hollow State Park. It's fantastically beautiful! While you're at it. Go climb at the adventure park in Storrs, CT

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Woodstock_compressed.jpg

Nice pic--enjoy the time in my home state.

Woodstock_compressed.jpg

Woodstock is nice. Used to cycle around there.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds like a place with old tires in the woods and abandoned Yugos in their front yard. 

While much of Eastern CT is like that..there's also some very nice areas..one of which is Woodstock. It's in and up and that area he goes really is like where MRG lives. There's nothing around..But if you are looking to get away from the wild and crazy lifestyle of Stowe..it's a nice place to do it

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

While much of Eastern CT is like that..there's also some very nice areas..one of which is Woodstock. It's in and up and that area he goes really is like where MRG lives. There's nothing around..But if you are looking to get away from the wild and crazy lifestyle of Stowe..it's a nice place to do it

I guess sometimes you need to get away from the violence and Pony-Os up in nrn VT. Seems like there's been an uptick in violent crime since it stopped snowing 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You don't get out much do ya.

AR-160619444.jpg

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I've travelled all over E CT over the years in sales. Much of it is like he described . Other very nice areas 

Just like every town in America ther are blight spots but for the most part its rural with rolling hills, stunning vistas, clean lakes and rivers. 1000% better than urban blight in EMA

Hey Kevin, question for you since you run. Do you find humid days more taxing on your lungs? It's obviously worse from a heat dissipation perspective, but I always seem to struggle more just to breathe well on humid days. Not sure if that's just me, or if the heavier air affects others as well.

Archived