joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the hills don't radiate or fog in situations like last night and the low was 60.. The only thing that struck me during my 4:50 AM run was the darkness, I thought about those fall and winter runs done in complete darkness. June and most of July are done in sunshine even pre 5:00. But today was sheer darkness and about 5:15 it lightened and sun was up by return home at 5:45. I enjoy dark in the evenings as that to me is one of the best parts of winter. But the dark mornings  all set with 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh yeah definitely...the residual lower atmosphere warmth and sun masks the fact that it is -4C at 850mb and -10C at 700mb and any heavier shower would probably be graupel and eventually wet snow...wetbulbing from low 50s to 36F in a span of minutes.  

I always appreciate the first "snow sky" too. It doesn't even have to be before a real snow event. It can be that slate gray-white overcast where you see your breath outside. It might be some 44F day in November that stays dry, but it's a day you just don't see even in the miserable weeks of spring where 44F and gray skies is onshore flow mank. The "snow sky day" just feels like it could snow. You feel the drier characteristic of the polar airmass and not the marine-induced spring misery that a similar temperature and overcast sky can bring in April or May.

Yup...and usually when you guys are feeling that, it's time for the first orographic snow or graupel showers where JSpin and myself are getting transient tenths of an inch of short duration cellular squalls...and downwind of the lakes NY State is covered in popcorn green and blue on ptype radar.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Crazy fog this AM. 

None here - hard to get radiation fog when the ground is dusty-dry.

I always appreciate the first "snow sky" too. It doesn't even have to be before a real snow event. It can be that slate gray-white overcast where you see your breath outside. It might be some 44F day in November that stays dry, but it's a day you just don't see even in the miserable weeks of spring where 44F and gray skies is onshore flow mank. The "snow sky day" just feels like it could snow. You feel the drier characteristic of the polar airmass and not the marine-induced spring misery that a similar temperature and overcast sky can bring in April or May.

Yup, that first day with at least 80% leaf-drop, BN temps, and stratiform clouds.  Usually comes shortly after Oct 15 here, though I've seen it earlier.  Really fires up the anticipation.

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

See I associate that with high summer more than anything...we radiate and fog out just about every clear night all summer long.  Summer is definitely our morning fog season, 90% of mornings start with 1/4sm visibility at the local MVL but it's the same at BML/HIE/SLK/MPV.  This morning we got 1/8sm vis.

Any lower humidity airmass is going to be 45-55F by morning with fog, and even the real humid mornings when most wake up to like 72/67, I'll wake up to 60/60 with water dripping from the trees.

Never see thick fog like you do in a mountain valley on a humid radiational cooling night, especially if there's been a storm the evening before.  It'll be crystal clear at 1,500ft with just pea soup from 700-1,300ft.

yeah...  the difference there is that you're physical setting up there is more conducive...

down here that can happen at any time of year... but more typically, mid summer has enough residual heat that even in clear air it's harder to radiate down to the squeeze-out wet-bulb temperatures - save for when the DP is exceptionally high (like 70+ ...).  but in these later theta-e rich environments, we tend to get strata streets at down moving rapidly S or SW to N/NE and the temp doesn't quite get to the DP under the same radiational conditions.  

when we do get to a radiational cooling temp and lost air moisture do to condensation, it more a spring fall and winter thing, and it really has to do with absorbed radiation budget.  going through three cloud drizzly murk days into a clearing scenario, on the third day, in late afternoon or evening doesn't cut it.  we've drained away the bank heat and the ground and exposed surfaces et al don't have much left to give, such that high parking over head with still air and superb radiation potential will get that 'radiation dew' much more proficiently given to the antecedent conditioning.  

mid summer the earth is a big infrared sponge...  nights are short... clear and still wind and there's still too much being given back to the air mass to allow it to cool enough.  

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah...  the difference there is that you're physical setting up there is more conducive...

down here that can happen at any time of year... but more typically, mid summer has enough residual heat that even in clear air it's harder to radiate down to the squeeze-out wet-bulb temperatures - save for when the DP is exceptionally high (like 70+ ...).  but in these later theta-e rich environments, we tend to get strata streets at down moving rapidly S or SW to N/NE and the temp doesn't quite get to the DP under the same radiational conditions.  

when we do get to a radiational cooling temp and lost air moisture do to condensation, it more a spring fall and winter thing. 

Yeah it is funny that difference in fog climatology...like without a doubt summer is our morning fog time of year.  The cross over temps always seem to be in the 50s and 60s and we hit it nightly with clear skies.  Spring and fall bring foggy mornings too, but also says where it's too dry to fog.  Like in June when we were getting 84/39 type days the fog wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is in mid summer where every morning is 100% RH with temps in the 50s or 60s...draining H85 temps into the valleys every night.

13 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

this morning had a very subtle autumn vibe about it.  

for me, when this physicality takes place in the third proper month of summers ... it sort of ear-marks the date that particular summer commits its self to geriatrics.  we've seen septuagenarian marathon runners finish races with respectable times; we'll see what this one has in it.

but i had a dew-drenched auto amid still coolness, with sideways fog-penetrated corpuscular rays and it may as well have been frost, because it was the same effect - if just 20 or 30 F up the scale.  radiational cooling effectively squeezing out moisture as warmth is liberated and the water vapor falls out is not something i typically associate to high summer.  

i'm not saying summers over ... just that in its old age we are served these subtle reminders.  every august i have this realization, about just how fast it all turns around. the differences between May and August (in years where May behaves...) is not nearly as extreme as August and November.  that's all.  

oh...i'm sure we'll have another 90's stretch.

Absolutely....first thing I though walking to the car this morning...nice.

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Whereabouts?

It's up in Bath, the same town we lived in until we moved to GC 9 years ago (45 minutes above Portland). It's a fixer-upper so we got a great price.  I'll need about 20 minutes with my saw to clear out the back.  I might get some legitimate wind readings during nor'easters  (the water exposure runs from about 310* - 110*.

house.jpg

mer.jpg

small river.jpg

panarama.jpg

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Don't get used to it.

ha haa..  

my internal dialogue had that as, "...i wouldn't celebrate yet"   

but same gist.

yeah, that's among the hotter appeals we've been served by the pantheon of durable model types this summer.  unfortunately for determinism,...and well earned, is that the model's still carry an onus to prove one of these phuckers right.  

(funny we've managed an extended heat wave, nonetheless ... but credit has been given/discussed about that, and how it was a different sort of heat production than the big kahuna ridge.) 

which is what has survived now 4 cycles and counting. in a 'holistic' sense it's justifiable - what? we get treated with vestigial semblance of autumn at the infantile age of August 1-3,!  there's gotta be hell-da pay... 

we'll see how it works out.  in 2013 we saw a 97 put up in the first two weeks of September.  one wonders what that would have been if that same atmosphere waft through on July 1 ... it shows that so long as we are on the equitorial side of the insolation fade, given the right initial conditioning and the thermometer can still rise mightily.  i can recall a 97-like afternoon in late August of 2002, as well ... 'hot day' 1975 was in August. 

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

It's up in Bath, the same town we lived in until we moved to GC 9 years ago (45 minutes above Portland). It's a fixer-upper so we got a great price.  I'll need about 20 minutes with my saw to clear out the back.  I might get some legitimate wind readings during nor'easters  (the water exposure runs from about 310* - 110*.

house.jpg

mer.jpg

small river.jpg

panarama.jpg

Awesome Mike, Right on the Kennebec

Archived