joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 3/4 "Last Gasp?" - Model Disco and Obs

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm... Greensboro 5. 5" reported earlier...Also i'm ex AWS observer - this snow was not hard to measure either...

I live 2 miles west of Greensboro. I measured 3.8". Another report a couple miles east was 3.2". Even though it was snowing when I left, it was generally light and temp had risen to 32 so likely nothing additional. All other reports from the mid/upper Delmarva are under 4". Most are very close to 3.5. Only reports I have seen of over 4" on the coastal plain are from So MD, lower Eastern shore of MD, S DE. I guess you caught the one and only mega band there, but it was invisible on radar.

I ended event with 5.0 on 0.24, a 20.8-1 ratio. Checked CO-Ops in area and they all in the 16.6 to 23-1 range on 3-5 inches of snow. A strangely 'dry' snow considering temps just below freezing, anybody else have numbers like that?

Very cold at cloud level. That's why cloud physics and flake structure play a more important role than ground temperatures when factoring in ratios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All i can tell ya Cape, is that the measurement was taken at 0730 on an elevated wooden surface and not subject to warm ground meltage..We remained a hair above freezing for most of the fall..I suspect that the final tally on the grass would be less, i did not measure there...

All i can tell ya Cape, is that the measurement was taken at 0730 on an elevated wooden surface and not subject to warm ground meltage..We remained a hair above freezing for most of the fall..I suspect that the final tally on the grass would be less, i did not measure there...

Hey its cool. I saw your post after I had just looked at all the PNS obs and it definitely stuck out. Stevensville and Church Hill were both 3.5" at 7 and 730am respectively. However much it is, enjoy it, as it will be gone soon. If I wasn't at work I would be at Terrapin Park right now.

Not really

Really bad in SE VA. It had them yesterday getting 3-3.5" and they got diddly. Horrible prediction. No model is perfect, obviously, but the Euro can fumble on the goal line like all the rest of them, that's more my point. It seems that when the GFS blows it at some location, the belief is that it blew it all over while when the Euro blows it, it's minimized. I guess I'm going into perceptions, which vary with each person. BUT, I've seen the Euro do what it did in SE VA several times this year over different areas that seem to go unnoticed because it didn't happen around the big cities.

Archived