Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our was gone days ago. I don't recall a Feb like this. Even 2012 had some on the ground

We had a lot more snow OTG this February than Feb 2012 in ORH and in your area...it's true that the end of Feb 2012 had snow OTG while this one did not, but we went most of Feb 2012 without snow OTG. In fact, we didn't have snow OTG the entire month in 2012 until we got that one event of 9" at the end of the month.

At least this month, we went like 2 weeks with full snow cover mid-month.

as much as this winter blows, last winter was way more frustrating being a half hour to forty five minutes away from epicosity

the gap between the haves and have nots is not quite as severe...six to thirty five inches area wide better than 50 to 130

I definitely would've appreciated last winter more had I known this winter was going to be such an epic abomination. I had 84" last year, which is above normal, but we kept sucking on exhaust from the big E MA coastals, so I was rather frustrated much of the season. To me it's not always how much snow you get, it's *HOW* you get that snow and *HOW* your location compares with others. Snow is a competitive business on here, haha. 

I've basically been in a snow curse since the October 2011 storm and barring a March or April miracle, this winter will likely shatter low snowfall records in E NY, W MA, and S VT. The highlands of S VT often have a 30"+ pack at this time of year and there is practically nothing there now save for isolated patches and piles. We missed the few opportunities this winter: the late January blizzard, the inverted troughs, and the anafrontal paste job at the beginning of the month, so we've practically found every way to get screwed. Now this week we get a cutter followed by a whiff.  :fulltilt:

I think this winter would've been good if we had at least some semblance of a -NAO to keep these darn cutters at bay by turning them into colder overrunning events. That big pack north of Montreal would likely be 200-300 miles south if we had blocking downstream. While you run the risk of suppression with a -NAO, I'd rather have that than warm, rainy cutters. Besides a -NAO often brings clippers and FROPAs if we don't get the storms, which upslope in the terrain around here.

It's time to #reversethecurse around here.

I definitely would've appreciated last winter more had I known this winter was going to be such an epic abomination. I had 84" last year, which is above normal, but we kept sucking on exhaust from the big E MA coastals, so I was rather frustrated much of the season. To me it's not always how much snow you get, it's *HOW* you get that snow and *HOW* your location compares with others. Snow is a competitive business on here, haha. 

I've basically been in a snow curse since the October 2011 storm and barring a March or April miracle, this winter will likely shatter low snowfall records in E NY, W MA, and S VT. The highlands of S VT often have a 30"+ pack at this time of year and there is practically nothing there now save for isolated patches and piles. We missed the few opportunities this winter: the late January blizzard, the inverted troughs, and the anafrontal paste job at the beginning of the month, so we've practically found every way to get screwed. Now this week we get a cutter followed by a whiff.  :fulltilt:

I think this winter would've been good if we had at least some semblance of a -NAO to keep these darn cutters at bay by turning them into colder overrunning events. That big pack north of Montreal would likely be 200-300 miles south if we had blocking downstream. While you run the risk of suppression with a -NAO, I'd rather have that than warm, rainy cutters. Besides a -NAO often brings clippers and FROPAs if we don't get the storms, which upslope in the terrain around here.

It's time to #reversethecurse around here.

You don't post much but you sum it all so well when you do.

I'm sure you assumed there would certainly be snow at your future elevated plot in the S Greens despite what fate befell other CNE/SNE posters.

Kind of like I thought it doesn't matter if we get screwed in Greenfield, surely Mt Snow or Stratton or Okemo will have powder days.

As Scott said earlier, at least the odds are unlikely we get something like this again out here. I miss the days of SWFE's or coastals inside the BM.

Winds last night knocked power out for a few thousand folks in Western and central MA last night. We were out from 1-4am.

Didn't lose power, but the wind woke me up around 3:30.  Absolutely howling.  Saw lots of branches down again this morning on the way to the train.  Walked part of the way home from the train yesterday, and I was astounded at the tree damage this year.  The paste job and last week's thunderstorms really did a number.

We had a lot more snow OTG this February than Feb 2012 in ORH and in your area...it's true that the end of Feb 2012 had snow OTG while this one did not, but we went most of Feb 2012 without snow OTG. In fact, we didn't have snow OTG the entire month in 2012 until we got that one event of 9" at the end of the month.

At least this month, we went like 2 weeks with full snow cover mid-month.

Naso much here, 2012 avg depth 10.8", 2016: 11.4".  Big difference is that 2/12 was dry, precip 1.94" BN, while this past month was 1.97" AN, thus jacking NNE's frustration level thru the roof.  Crummy north-country snowfall on 1" precip in Feb is unfortunate; crummy snow on nearly 5" precip is almost unprecedented.

Naso much here, 2012 avg depth 10.8", 2016: 11.4".  Big difference is that 2/12 was dry, precip 1.94" BN, while this past month was 1.97" AN, thus jacking NNE's frustration level thru the roof.  Crummy north-country snowfall on 1" precip in Feb is unfortunate; crummy snow on nearly 5" precip is almost unprecedented.

Not having snow OTG in ORH at the end of February is definitely a rarity though (we fluked into it in 2012 despite going 27 consecutive days with no snow cover...well maybe 2/12 had an inch OTG, but that is stretching it)...but despite that, it still counts as snow cover on last day of the month.

You have to go all the way back to Feb 2002 to have zero snow cover in ORH on last day of February.

The funny thing is this February had above normal snowfall in ORH...cracked 20" (avg is about 17"). The final 10-12 days were brutal.

It's 150 miles north of us. We are on the wrong side of the gradient but southern Quebec has had an epic February. It would feel like an 06-07 turn around, they now have feet on the ground.

You are right about that. This is absolutely painful and as I said the worst is we are at the end and the long wait ahead.

You are right about that. This is absolutely painful and as I said the worst is we are at the end and the long wait ahead.

I love summers up here in the mountains so I'm not too concerned about the wait. Right now having the doors and windows open while it's 80F by day and 48F by night sounds pretty sweet.

I live right on the river so it's nice to go sit in a lawn chair while water runs over your feet and the dog chases the small fish and other things she finds floating by.

Just a very relaxed time around here in the summer. Farmers Markets, hiking, swimming, etc.

I did not enjoy summer as much in BTV as it gets hot for long stretches with no nighttime cooling, but the UVM girls on Church Street make it worth it haha. However hanging out by the lake and the daily Key West like sunsets are awesome.

Next winter is going to be brutal too. Nina ratter

I highly doubt it's worse than this. Even 2011-2012 with 90" would feel like a historic winter after this one. Literally there is no where to go but up in CNE/NNE.

After the last few warm ENSO years have left something to be desired, let's roll the dice with a Niña.

I love summers up here in the mountains so I'm not too concerned about the wait. Right now having the doors and windows open while it's 80F by day and 48F by night sounds pretty sweet.

I live right on the river so it's nice to go sit in a lawn chair while water runs over your feet and the dog chases the small fish and other things she finds floating by.

Just a very relaxed time around here in the summer. Farmers Markets, hiking, swimming, etc.

I did not enjoy summer as much in BTV as it gets hot for long stretches with no nighttime cooling, but the UVM girls on Church Street make it worth it haha. However hanging out by the lake and the daily Key West like sunsets are awesome.

My first summer in VT last year.  I can tell you I thoroughly enjoyed it compared to the what I was used to near the Mason-Dixon line. Amazing how much more enjoyable it is to be outside.

The sunsets and girls are great for sure.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I think I am saying negative things about summer more on the fact that I am bitter following this ratter of a winter and I am beyond impatient when it comes to wanting to see a big snow event. Not one warning this winter is not something I thought could ever happen when I moved here.

Archived