Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only need a little over four feet to surpass 11/12 in my backyard.

At this time in 2011-2012 we were just getting over a nice 17" upslope event in town and 36" at the picnic tables.

rad_kcxx_n1r_ani.gif

Going to end up being 2 poor years here, Could take these two seasons to be 10% above one seasons avg

Well there is absolutely no question it is over. I feel like breaking something lol. This one may be the worse than the cutters because it looked decent until just yesterday and now will pretty much screw us entirely by less then 100 miles.

29" was peak.  Which is pretty damn good for the SVT west slopes below 1K which aren't exactly known to hold great snowpack.

Yea, I remember your picks---impressive. Pretty much everyone at decent elevation from your plot down in extreme SVT up through this area was at 36"+ of snowpack through most of FEB into March.

Being in a narrower valley, I think your location in Manchester is a bit better for snow overall compared to a bit further north from say Rutland up through the Champlain Valley or further south from Bennington down toward Williamstown. Without the Taconics and Mt. Equinox just to your west, it would be a lot tougher there.

Downslope effects can be negated a bit in narrow valleys compared to wider ones. While easterly flow will downslope from the Greens, it ultimately has to upslope over the Taconics again, which are very high there. The same logic could be applied to westerly flow too. Large scale flow will sometimes "skip" right over very narrow valleys. Your valley is wide enough for downslope, but narrow enough that it isn't as brutal as some places. 

Being in a narrower valley, I think your location in Manchester is a bit better for snow overall compared to a bit further north from say Rutland up through the Champlain Valley or further south from Bennington down toward Williamstown. Without the Taconics and Mt. Equinox just to your west, it would be a lot tougher there.

Downslope effects can be negated a bit in narrow valleys compared to wider ones. While easterly flow will downslope from the Greens, it ultimately has to upslope over the Taconics again, which are very high there. The same logic could be applied to westerly flow too. Large scale flow will sometimes "skip" right over very narrow valleys. Your valley is wide enough for downslope, but narrow enough that it isn't as brutal as some places.

Thanks, that does make sense. It's a not "great" snow location here by any means,but it does seem to be better for snowfall and retention than RUT,DDH and CPV south of BTV. Your explanation kind of explains why.

Thanks, that does make sense. It's a not "great" snow location here by any means,but it does seem to be better for snowfall and retention than RUT,DDH and CPV south of BTV. Your explanation kind of explains why.

5891f1e541d86af94e558fbf08e9d629.gif

You are by Equinox right?

And does J Spin live south of I89?

Archived