• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

It's big terrain all around him.  He's got 3,000-4,000 ft terrain pretty much rising up out of his neighborhood.

Right, things rise pretty quickly coming up out of the Winooski Valley in many spots; the valley bottom at the river is just a few hundred feet above sea level, and you don’t have to go too far to hit 4,000’+.

For those that haven’t seen it, one unique perspective on the impressive amount of relief to the south can be seen as you travel down the Bolton Valley Access Road – you can look across at the Camel’s Hump massif and get a sense for just how much vertical rise there is in that direction.  It’s hard to get the same perspective from the valley bottom because you can’t always see the peaks.  Photos can’t quite do it justice of course, but I added one below from that area.  It’s certainly not a sheer rock face or anything, but when you’re there and have a sense of scale, you can see that the terrain just keeps going up, and up, and up – and moisture-laden air has to do the same thing.

The second image is a map I made from Google Earth that shows a view of the Winooski Valley from the west – you can see how the valley is a real notch in the spine of the Greens.  You can also get a feel for the perspective of where the photo was taken.  Look toward the left side of the map where it says “Bolton Valley”, and then imagine heading to the right right (south) down into the Winooski Valley.  The view in the photo is looking across the Winooski Valley to Camel’s Hump on the other side.

29JAN09C.jpg

01JAN15B.jpg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you can barely even see the valley floor in that photo, but it would be straight down where the group of pines in the medium distance is and running left to right?

Better have awd if you live there.

Oh yeah, and for choosing to make that specific location your home:  :weenie:

So you can barely even see the valley floor in that photo, but it would be straight down where the group of pines in the medium distance is and running left to right?

Better have awd if you live there.

Oh yeah, and for choosing to make that specific location your home:  :weenie:

The picture is from the Bolton Valley access road, not JSpin's driveway.  I believe he actually lives closer to the valley floor, just off Rt. 2

Your other question though, about the pine trees, I think they are actually above the valley floor going up the other side.

That’s right, the visible terrain on the far side isn’t quite down to valley floor.  I’d say those pines across the way are probably a bit below 1,000’ elevation, and the valley floor at the base of the access road there is ~340’, so there’s still a bit of vertical that’s not visible in that shot.  The peak of Camel’s Hump is lost in the clouds, but it actually juts up at the top and doesn’t quite follow those visible ridge lines, so there’s a bit more vertical there as well.

That’s right, the visible terrain on the far side isn’t quite down to valley floor.  I’d say those pines across the way are probably a bit below 1,000’ elevation, and the valley floor at the base of the access road there is ~340’, so there’s still a bit of vertical that’s not visible in that shot.  The peak of

Do you keep temp readings at your location? I'd assume you radiate really well.

From what I've noticed I think we radiate a bit better up this way than the Winooski River Valley.  From when I used to live in that same valley but on the western side in Jonesville/Richmond, we would fog out and the radiational cooling wasn't nearly as good as some of the nearby glens up at like 1,000ft.

Up here in Stowe between Mansfield and the Worecester Range, we seem to radiate really well as MVL often will go low.

I think you asked earlier but in Stowe, everyone under 1,500ft radiates nicely because of the surrounding higher terrain and good PBL inversion on most clear nights. 

But Nebraska Valley in Stowe is probably the winner.  I have friends that live up there (its not very high up, only 700-1,000ft) but its like a hole in the terrain.  The sun sets early in that valley too because of the high terrain to the south/west/north.  My friends up there will have lows in the 40s like most of the summer in Nebraska Valley.

They also get more snow as there's Nebraska Notch in the Spine which allows moisture to squeeze through when town can be blocked by Mansfield.  And they have orographic lift on all sides similar to J.Spin and a narrow enough valley it can't downslope. 

Mansfield is just to the north of this image...and the marker is Lake Mansfield at the Trout Club (which is like a country club for fishermen).  I'm fairly certain Lake Mansfield would be one of the coldest places around if anyone on the road up there was able to get a PWS online.  Just perfect horseshoe box valley with relatively low elevation (1,000ft or less) surrounded by much higher terrain that just gets bigger and more pronounced the further up the road you get.  And for reference, I live out on Mountain Road/RT 108 more in the upper right hand third of the map.

I think you asked earlier but in Stowe, everyone under 1,500ft radiates nicely because of the surrounding higher terrain and good PBL inversion on most clear nights. 

But Nebraska Valley in Stowe is probably the winner.  I have friends that live up there (its not very high up, only 700-1,000ft) but its like a hole in the terrain.  The sun sets early in that valley too because of the high terrain to the south/west/north.  My friends up there will have lows in the 40s like most of the summer in Nebraska Valley.

They also get more snow as there's Nebraska Notch in the Spine which allows moisture to squeeze through when town can be blocked by Mansfield.  And they have orographic lift on all sides similar to J.Spin and a narrow enough valley it can't downslope. 

Mansfield is just to the north of this image...and the marker is Lake Mansfield at the Trout Club (which is like a country club for fishermen).  I'm fairly certain Lake Mansfield would be one of the coldest places around if anyone on the road up there was able to get a PWS online.  Just perfect horseshoe box valley with relatively low elevation (1,000ft or less) surrounded by much higher terrain that just gets bigger and more pronounced the further up the road you get.  And for reference, I live out on Mountain Road/RT 108 more in the upper right hand third of the map.

attachicon.gifNebraskaValley.jpg

I would think the Trout Club would be the type of place to have a Davis. Maybe someone could drop them a suggestion. ;)

snowblown slopes instead of face plants in glades year, look at the peaks in the background

The snowmaking system has superior reach now. It can paint anything white.

In all seriousness, walking the dog along the river this afternoon, was enjoying the white ground of this god-forsaken winter for possibly the last week of the season. I've never seen like 2 solid full months of snow cover that never exceeded 12", and spent the majority of the time in the 3-6" range.

Currently 4" that you can walk on. Probably 4" of water in it too haha.

Archived