Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am saying negative things about summer more on the fact that I am bitter following this ratter of a winter and I am beyond impatient when it comes to wanting to see a big snow event. Not one warning this winter is not something I thought could ever happen when I moved here.

Bad juju for NNE.

Summer sucks unless on the beach or above 1K. Both spots are ideal.

Yeah the summers here are much nicer here than when I lived in Albany or Burlington. The nighttime air conditioner which are the mountain valley radiators really take the bite out of a warm pattern...even if it's 85F by day, nights in the low 50s mellow it out. And if it's a little below normal it's 70s/40s.

Without radiating, I'd take MPM's climate when ORH hits 90F he's like 82.9F.

Yeah the summers here are much nicer here than when I lived in Albany or Burlington. The nighttime air conditioner which are the mountain valley radiators really take the bite out of a warm pattern...even if it's 85F by day, nights in the low 50s mellow it out. And if it's a little below normal it's 70s/40s.

I think a lot of that is microclimate stuff and siting.

It was nice when I went up to Okemo at like 1300ft. Dropped to 60 as soon as the sun went down. Even in the Lakes region...it's lower elevation, but it drops off nicely at night.

I would really enjoy that.. I didn't really think about what a torch prone area the Merrimack Valley is when I moved here.  We're often as warm and occasionally warmer than the CT Valley.  When ORH is 90, we're 95+

Unfortunately for hiking the bugs are going to be horrendous this year.

lol you are full of good news.  Why will the bugs be horrendous?  They seem to run pretty bad most years for a little while in the spring but then its fine.  Granted anytime you get up in elevation in the warm season there will be bugs.

lol I know.  That day last year was so funny...everyone coming in with like mid-upper 90s in the lower elevations, ORH and HubbDave hitting 90F and then MPM posting like "82.9F" or something.

I think he was colder than Plainfield at like 1900 feet that day.

The magic of The Pit.

I think he was colder than Plainfield at like 1900 feet that day.

The magic of The Pit.

It was like mid/upper 70s even at 4,000ft.

We do joke, but although he hasn't posted a ton this winter, whenever the temps in his area are much more uniform this time of year without leaf out.  Or for that matter the entire East Slope seems much more uniform in the cold season...like today its 33F at 2,000ft and 39F at 250ft and everyone else falls in between that spectrum.

I am just beyond aggrivated lol but the bugs comment was in reference that I have always heard more survive a warmer winter and thus a higher population. Yes obviously there are bugs every year and black fly season is always something that is talked about.

I definitely would've appreciated last winter more had I known this winter was going to be such an epic abomination. I had 84" last year, which is above normal, but we kept sucking on exhaust from the big E MA coastals, so I was rather frustrated much of the season. To me it's not always how much snow you get, it's *HOW* you get that snow and *HOW* your location compares with others. Snow is a competitive business on here, haha.

I've basically been in a snow curse since the October 2011 storm and barring a March or April miracle, this winter will likely shatter low snowfall records in E NY, W MA, and S VT. The highlands of S VT often have a 30"+ pack at this time of year and there is practically nothing there now save for isolated patches and piles. We missed the few opportunities this winter: the late January blizzard, the inverted troughs, and the anafrontal paste job at the beginning of the month, so we've practically found every way to get screwed. Now this week we get a cutter followed by a whiff. :fulltilt:

I think this winter would've been good if we had at least some semblance of a -NAO to keep these darn cutters at bay by turning them into colder overrunning events. That big pack north of Montreal would likely be 200-300 miles south if we had blocking downstream. While you run the risk of suppression with a -NAO, I'd rather have that than warm, rainy cutters. Besides a -NAO often brings clippers and FROPAs if we don't get the storms, which upslope in the terrain around here.

It's time to #reversethecurse around here.

This is the "screw zone" and "sucking exhaust zone" from last year. Its like Sapporo Japan compared to this year.

post-10812-0-86500100-1456862281_thumb.j

It was nice when I went up to Okemo at like 1300ft. Dropped to 60 as soon as the sun went down. Even in the Lakes region...it's lower elevation, but it drops off nicely at night.

That's why I like where I live.  I seem to have the best of both worlds with a little elevation but still in a valley.  Days are not as hot and I can open the windows at bed time without having to listen to the drone of water being sucked out of the air by the air conditioner save for a handful of nights.

This is the "screw zone" and "sucking exhaust zone" from last year. Its like Sapporo Japan compared to this year.

attachicon.gif2016-02-20 14.27.02.jpg

What was your peak depth last year? Mine was around 22" here, but my property above 2K in VT was around 38-40", which is still pretty impressive since we missed the best of the snows. There were patches of snow there on May 1st last year.

What was your peak depth last year? Mine was around 22" here, but my property above 2K in VT was around 38-40", which is still pretty impressive since we missed the best of the snows. There were patches of snow there on May 1st last year.

29" was peak.  Which is pretty damn good for the SVT west slopes below 1K which aren't exactly known to hold great snowpack.

Yea, I remember your picks---impressive. Pretty much everyone at decent elevation from your plot down in extreme SVT up through this area was at 36"+ of snowpack through most of FEB into March.

As if there was any doubt...

Lease snowiest and warmest DJF on record at ALB.  There's a new Ratter in Town.

Congrats to everyone.

Worst winter imaginable. I'll likely finish the season with 14% of average snowfall.. can anyone beat that?

Worst winter imaginable. I'll likely finish the season with 14% of average snowfall.. can anyone beat that?

That's so bad.

ORH's worst on record was 21.2" which is about 30-31% of average (69"). To get 14% would require something like 9 or 10 inches.

That's so bad.

ORH's worst on record was 21.2" which is about 30-31% of average (69"). To get 14% would require something like 9 or 10 inches.

Yeah that's unbelievable for a place that averages 60" or more per season. Some places like Mount Snow area in SVT that averages 150" and they have like 30" is 20% of normal. Much better up here running like 30% of normal :lol:.

But a location like ALB going three full winter months and only scraping 10" together is incredible. With one deform band you could clear that total in a few hours.

Archived