Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not gonna lie...

Already being past mud season with that ridging in the LR looks appealing. Yeah, I know Mar 12 isn't coming through that door this early, but it'd be nice to get some yard cleanup done with some 50s. If it caan't snow then just frig it...we may as well go for futility.

What's your futility record?

I learned on Friday that I was finally a published writer working for the Magazine called Romance Magazine, they are the leading magazine in publishing fictional writing.  They published my short story Walter and Marie.  If you want a piece of the short story and read it then just PM your email address.

congratulations! 

i have a completed novel of my own.  science fiction genre.   

it's about ... interestingly enough, nothing to do with the weather :)   

it's a bit too complex to get into it here, but ... the fictional science i created that foundations the story - it turns out - was recently discovered to very possibly be true by British researches.  it has to do with quantum scaled oscillations of microtubals in the human brain.  i postulated for the story that they might be intrumental in the emergence of consciousness; and then created a story around a group of scientist that stumble into that discovery ... of course, with consequences ;)

the quantum oscillation part, i came up with that idea 10 years ago, and just recently within the last 2 years, papers were published suggesting exactly that.

despite that ... i have only gotten back nibbles of interest and or outright rejections by publishers.  i'm half considering just going through Amazon and self-publishing... suppose it's a recourse.  i would like to publish it, because it's a pretty damn fantastic thing to compose and entire novel, then come to find after the fact that one's ideas may have actual merit.  wow.

anyway, congrats on your writing success.  i know a while ago you were pm'ing me with writing advises... i thought at the time you were doing something about a snow storm?  either way. good work! 

John, I wrote a romance/sports/weather convoluted short story and Romance Magazine decided to publish it.  It wasn't the greatest copy of the story because it wasn't the edited version lol, and the edited version sounds much more like a love story.  Right now I am in the process of writing a novel about a hurricane hitting New Orleans, LA.  It is a character book about many characters lives intertwined in this hurricane hitting New Orleans.

What's the name of your novel?

"Dominia"   ...  Short of the long, Colton Reinholt postulates conductivity of microtubals (which are real in nature, in the human brain), and goes on to create an apparatus to prove this.  He is so successful at doing so (and of course there is story evolution/plot and character development and so forth while doing so) that he and his colleagues actually create the first bona fide artificial sentient consciousness.  They don't know they do at first, but the device begins reaching out to people "psionically" ... not knowing that when it does, it actually possess the individual completely.   

it's creepy in some of those scenes.  some minor humor is delivered.  and there are romantic interests.  the main protagonist is Dr. Mendal, who has a military contract to create the kind of artificial intelligent machines capable of " ...Distinguishing between a Taliban operative and a goat herder" such that military drones can become ...intuitive in the arena of war.  However, Mendel has failed to create that special level of thinking device, and is under increasing pressure ...else he must renig on the contract and give the millions back that is already spent.  Mendal being brilliant in his own rite, suspects the significance of what Colton has discovered before even Colton does; and in act of intellectual theft he steals the technology and puts it in military drones in time to make deadlines.   Interesting "psychic" things are taking place around all this too.   

The idea there is that when one of these Dominia devices is first turned on, ...just imagine this:  It takes the human mind some 20 years to become fully sentient ..give or take some time depending on environment and rearing.   How about turning on a light switch, forcing all that sentience with no context ...no rearing, just poof??    abject terror. Infants are born screaming in a square-mouthed rage for a reason ;)  Reality is scary.  The story implies that whomever is closest to the device when it first comes into instant consciousness it latches on to them ...reading their "soul" via the psionic tapping into their minds, and so the device identifies by that entity.  So, when Mendal turns on his stolen versions...naturally, the technology is a-holey and evil.  And....stuck in 4 military drones (shameless lift from the bible and the four horsemen of the apocalypse - I know, but couldn't resist).  These are no ordinary drones though like we think of what drones are..  These are fully integrated war machines that have micro nuclear fuel cores that could last a couple thousand years..

Anywho...the story resolves as the one device that Colton create crossing its sphere of psyionic power with those of the four drones, and that causes a "spiritual anti-matter, matter annihilation" and all the technology ceases to exist.

It's like in economy ... everyone can't be rich.  If that were the case, the dollar would have no value at all. 

Can't be snowy every year.  Doesn't do much for the snow-co-dependent neurosis of the site's users, no, but it is a reality we must bear from time to time, to give the value of a decent winter some deeper meaning?

Personally it never affected me that things were persistently ...at times, eerily always breaking the wrong direction, but that turned quickly intellectual, as a curiosity.  I feel pretty confident in my answer(s); I opined in a separate thread this morning, that this has been a combination of two killer factors:  one being that there has been too much of a gradient too much of the time, and that becomes a shear component that offsets cyclone mechanics in the mean; and perhaps more importantly two, the ridge placement has been quasi-fixed just too far west to really be right for wave-spacing and EC events.  It actually makes sense that when the +PNA arrived a month ago, it resulted in so many cutters.  

I'm hoping this spring rips the band aide off fast and we race to summer. 

Tip, an interesting premise for the novel. Are you familiar with the field of optogenetics? There's a guy here at MIT genetically tagging neurons of rodents with a flourescent protein found in certain sea life. The idea is that you can shine a certain wavelength of light into the brain and cause specific neurons to fire. I think the ultimate endgame is to help people with degenerative brain diseases. However, perhaps closer to what you write about, DARPA is funding research for a direct mind-electronic interface, ostensibly to allow mind control of computers/robots, but perhaps someday it goes in reverse.

High of 54F today. Just a few patches and piles of snow left.

Maybe I can get that first tick bite of the season out of the way early.

Literally the winter that wasn't.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the Vermont ski areas, S of Stowe, had gotten some snow this year, but we have drowned in a sea of suck.

Pulled a tick off of the dog a few days ago  :axe:

High of 54F today. Just a few patches and piles of snow left.

Maybe I can get that first tick bite of the season out of the way early.

Literally the winter that wasn't.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the Vermont ski areas, S of Stowe, had gotten some snow this year, but we have drowned in a sea of suck.

Haha we are on pace to finish 150" below normal in seasonal snowfall...that's like Mount Snow's annual average. I haven't had like a 4-5" "all snow" event all this winter. We ain't drowning in snow up here ;).

But yeah, Jay and Sugarbush are tops in the state for snowfall so far and both under 150". Sugarbush has doubled Killington's snowfall and they are less than one county north and neighbors from north-to-south.

Well, I have to thank all for the updates and forecast from October through now. I was going to buy a snowblower after I shoveled out my driveway( mind you horseshoe with 2 plowed in entrances) all of last year. Now I can spend that money saved on my trip to Iceland in July and think about my new Ariens if needed come next fall.

Archived