• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

Let it go...Just for the record. The event I referenced was Feb of '69. 100hrs of snowfall to which turned me on to weather.

I take exception to being taken out of context and then berated. Ray can be abrasive and dead-horse issues. Thats his problem. Whatever my stay and interest should be geared to down here. 

I understood the context...you weren't forecasting 30" of snow over 100 hours...but some model runs had us with 3+ days of snowfall. (hell 18z GFS didnt really finish until Thursday afternoon).

I've learned more and more over the years that it has become more of a burden to mention past events (esp large ones) than a teaching tool...my March 2013 reference has already been taken out of context by more than half a dozen posters.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understood the context...you weren't forecasting 30" of snow over 100 hours...but some model runs had us with 3+ days of snowfall. (hell 18z GFS didnt really finish until Thursday afternoon).

I've learned more and more over the years that it has become more of a burden to mention past events (esp large ones) than a teaching tool...my March 2013 reference has already been taken out of context by more than half a dozen posters.

The problem with mentioning events like that, is that weenies will just run with it. Even if you are using it as an example, weenies may reference that and talk about some other BS aspect of it...which then leads other people believing the analog..etc.  I've learned that the hard way. You bring up an example, and it's taken out of contest immediately. It's almost better not even mentioning it sometimes.

The problem with mentioning events like that, is that weenies will just run with it. Even if you are using it as an example, weenies may reference that and talk about some other BS aspect of it...which then leads other people believing the analog..etc.  I've learned that the hard way. You bring up an example, and it's taken out of contest immediately. It's almost better not even mentioning it sometimes.

Yeah Kevin started comparing the firehose that one had, which wasn't the point of the reference...it was solely in how when you get a upper air interaction like that, it will really shove the precip shield much further N and W of the center.

But honestly, these people should be able to read that and understand it's not a forecast of an equal result. Most of the posters here have been reading the forums for years, so they should be literate enough to know that it isn't a forecast. We're talking about mechanics of the upper levels.

Over the years I've corresponded with a great many dynamic individuals, eventually met and became friends with.

All the way back to the NEWE.newsgroup. That's a few years and with that respect.

Had something happen earlier today that just sent me ballistic. Some unnamed young man needs to learn etiquette. If up to me I would ban him permanently. In this forum I believe Social Media Etiquette has been corrupted over the years more banter and chest pounding. The fun has been taken away. In many ways the forum has diminished to a status lower than ACCUWX standards. I knew more about meteorology at 14yrs old then I do today. 

Did I mention it's a hobby and supposed to be fun. The fun is forever gone but my passion and continued learning/teaching in the science with endure just not here...to be berated for mentioning an event of 100hrs of continuous snow which had the possibly of occurring. So whoa is me to a great snowstorm that I still think will overachieve regardless of model output. I now know why many knowledgeable that use to post will no longer...lost another.

And with that I bid farewell.  

100 hours of snow, eh?  Hopefully at 1" per hour ;).  Though we all know no one literally means 100 hours of snow. 

You are right, some social media etiquette has declined but a lot of that is also just more users being online for a longer period of time.  Even 15 years ago this was all relatively new, yet we were still on boards like WWBB or reading the listserves.  You get more used to it, you learn not to take everything personally, and that any statement you toss out on the interwebs can be disagreed with (unfortunately or fortunately).  On sites like this it should bring interesting back and forth discussion, and should never get personal.  But everyone is going to have a different idea of what will happen. 

Eduggs posted in the NNE but this should be shared to others because its fairly incredible to me.

ALB averages like 62" per year (or they did when I lived there, ha) which is only a half foot or so less than ORH at 1,000ft. 

Albany may go a full 365-day year period without a snow event larger than 2.0". 

If not much changes by February 15th, ALB could do a full year with less than 12" of cumulative snowfall. 

For a place that has a snowfall average most comparable to ORH in SNE, that is absolutely incredible.  Just imagine if ORH went a full year with less than 12" of total snow and no snow event larger than 2".  Anyone know of any 365 day period that might have come close?

That's not just a bad pattern, that's some bad luck (as much as some people hate that word, you don't achieve those stats without every single event finding some reason not to snow).

Not all that close, though given the 89" avg here it was still pretty bad:  On Feb. 22, 2004 I measured 8.0" as the back part of a 10.3" event.  On Feb. 10, 2005 I had 15.0" (and thunder) as part of a 21" dump.  During the 353 days between those two, my biggest snowstorm was 4.0" on April 5, 2004.

I'm farther away from the 12-month total, though my 26.9" for Feb. 2006 thru Jan. 2007 was still awful.  Then the 12 months Mar. 2007 thru Feb. 2008 brought 178.0".)

Reading the February 2012 thread made me feel a lot better, haha.  This is our 2011-2012 winter in SNE. 

Funny I was the most optimistic poster in that entire Feb 2012 thread, how the times have changed. 

Actually I take that back, Pete/SkiMRG was the most optimistic poster, and its so funny reading that thread that he just will not acknowledge that its been a crappy season.  No matter how hard anyone tries, he keeps posting like its a big winter and then just mid-month can't take it anymore and heads to Alaska for a couple weeks.

Its our turn up here for this.

But just classic Pete/SkiMRG:

Man that 2012 thread is hilarious.  Everyone trying to get Pete to acknowledge that the winter has been below normal in snowfall.  I do miss his unwavering assertion that any current winter is the best winter ever.

Also bet Butternut in the Berks would be thrilled to have 35" on the season so far to date, lol. 

Hello everyone btw.  Not posting much since I'm in Savannah til early March. But I am keeping an eye on the board and our prospects for some sort of snow pack.  Beautiful down here...one of the compromises of marriage.  But I have get out of jail free card for one trip up in February.  Right now looks like Feb 19-21 - hope it is good.

Well we are in a pretty bad roll right now.  Worst since? 06-07?  Worst since I moved here March 08.  Even the **** years we get to 60.

That's why I still remain optimistic it will snow eventually.  Even my worst winter so far living here is 86", and I'm at 26" right now.  I fully expect this winter to be the worst I've ever seen, but we could triple our current snowfall and still end up the lowest.  Statistics say it has to snow at some point.

Going out to CO 3/5-3/8 to ski(Loveland most likely although possibly Copper or Winter Park). Any long range guys want to take a crack at what things may be looking like pattern-wise for out there around then? I don't know anything about CO climo/patterns so not really sure what to look for for a powder day producing potential.

This post falls well outside the purview of weather, but I think is fascinating enough from a general scientific perspective to merit inclusion here. LIGO is hosting a conference this morning (10:30 EST) and speculation is rampant that they will officially announce the detection of gravity waves. If this is the case, it will be arguably the biggest scientific discovery in decades (although the Higgs boson was pretty amazing too) and confirm a prediction made by Einstein a century ago as part of General Relativity. It is literally detecting the warping of space itself caused by the interaction of incredibly massive objects like black holes and colliding neutron stars. The waves themselves are immensely small, less than 1/10,000th the width of a proton, and so one can understand the challenge of detecting them. It would be like measuring the distance to the nearest star to within an accuracy of a human hair. Anyway, this would certainly be a watershed moment in human scientific endeavor and if you guys are interested, I believe you can find a live feed online.

This post falls well outside the purview of weather, but I think is fascinating enough from a general scientific perspective to merit inclusion here. LIGO is hosting a conference this morning (10:30 EST) and speculation is rampant that they will officially announce the detection of gravity waves. If this is the case, it will be arguably the biggest scientific discovery in decades (although the Higgs boson was pretty amazing too) and confirm a prediction made by Einstein a century ago as part of General Relativity. It is literally detecting the warping of space itself caused by the interaction of incredibly massive objects like black holes and colliding neutron stars. The waves themselves are immensely small, less than 1/10,000th the width of a proton, and so one can understand the challenge of detecting them. It would be like measuring the distance to the nearest star to within an accuracy of a human hair. Anyway, this would certainly be a watershed moment in human scientific endeavor and if you guys are interested, I believe you can find a live feed online.

Confirmed! LIGO detected the coalescence of binary black holes producing gravity waves. The holes were each roughly 30 solar masses and revolving around each other at half the speed of light at a distance of roughly 1.3 billion light-years. At the moment of collision, they released an instantaneous energy equivalent to fifty times the output of all the stars in the universe--or roughly three solar energy-masses, and massively warped space-time, propagating gravity waves through the universe at the speed of light. The waves were detected simultaneously at the two facilities, one in LA and one in WA, at a scale of 10 to the -18 meters, roughly a 1,000th of the width of a proton. Very exciting news. 

Confirmed! LIGO detected the coalescence of binary black holes producing gravity waves. The holes were each roughly 30 solar masses and revolving around each other at half the speed of light at a distance of roughly 1.3 billion light-years. At the moment of collision, they released an instantaneous energy equivalent to fifty times the output of all the stars in the universe--or roughly three solar energy-masses, and massively warped space-time, propagating gravity waves through the universe at the speed of light. The waves were detected simultaneously at the two facilities, one in LA and one in WA, at a scale of 10 to the -18 meters, roughly a 1,000th of the width of a proton. Very exciting news. 

What does this mean for snow?

Archived