Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't heard from the poster skivt any time lately, but I've heard from several reputable sources that Killington is pretty much at the epicenter of it right now. That its not pretty and they haven't even hit all their snowmaking trails yet. Central Park/NYC got more snow in one event than Killington at 4,000ft has gotten in three months.

Hopefully we can get something going soon. They've had less than half the snowfall we have up here, and this is a 1 in 50 year season up here...so they could really use a deform band or something. Heck we all could.

The good news is that they always seem to have 12" on the trails.

I thought it was to call attention to the distance relative to the advent of depicted events contained therein, events whose chances had not yet come into such clarity and proximity as to warrant their own thread. I thought that in detailing this distance, the likes of which could be injurious if not fatal for those who would opt to leap from it during the course of the customary waiting and watching that an audience -- the usual denizen of the mezzanine -- is wont to do, you had furthermore called attention to the silliness of knee-jerk reactions and dramatic responses to each ripple far off in the pond of time. I thought that it called to mind the atmosphere of the old theater, likening our kind moderators to gentle ushers, quietly going about their business to tidy the seats of noisy or confused patrons so that the collective attendance might have a richer experience for the calm. I thought it was genius. And who doesn't love a little alliteration from time to time? Two M's! One after the other. Literary brilliance.

On hearing your actual reasoning, though... I guess that makes sense, too.

You read my mind actually.

I just didn't want to give the long version to Garth. He might scowl at me and note he didn't jackpot last storm with 11".

Well that's more than the picnic tables have on the their surface right now. Hopefully they can catch the snow depth in your backyard at some point this month.

The only car in the parking lot yesterday with fresh snow on it was from that far away snow-haven they call "Massachusetts".

20" at the picnic tables...all-time low depth in 60 years for the date.

It's funny how it happens, I remember an April storm years back that you and Ray were talking about late one night that trended east and hit you guys with wet snow while we only got a few inches, and it was "I'm so glad one finally went our way, I'm not going to feel sorry that PF only has 8.5 feet on the ground instead of 9 feet."

Ahhh those were the days haha. It comes and goes.

The snow isn't even edge to edge on most trails. They lost 30 trails in the rain last week. I mean hurting up here.

That's what I've heard. 

A skier I rode the lift with yesterday said they were at Killington on Thursday, Sugarbush Friday, and Stowe Saturday... he said at least Stowe and Sugarbush have wall-to-wall coverage on their snowmaking trails.  He said the scene at Killington is like snow on the side of the trail where the snow guns are, and then like grass on the other side.  Not every trail but it sounded like what you are saying in not edge to edge on most runs.

As small as our snowfall totals have been, I have to imagine it has helped at Sugarbush northward to also get twice as much in this meager season than Killington so far.  There was a lot of natural snow terrain open most of January, and at least having some natural snow cover (even if only 10-20") makes a big difference aesthetically even if you can't quite ski the trees.  At least its not brown between the snowmaking runs.

I do know that Jay Peak has tossed in the snowmaking towel and are done for the season except for "The Jet" to have at least one spring run if we get mild in March.  But they've actually just said they are done with snowmaking and aren't spending any more money on it this season.  I've heard Smuggs is also close to just packing it in for the season (snowmaking wise) and seeing what happens.  If it snows, it snows.  If it doesn't, look on to next winter.

The issue is snowmaking in February is usually much more expensive than in Nov/Dec/Jan because electric prices are often based on historical demand...and there's not a lot of snowmaking demand in February usually.  I know we'll go through President's Week but after that I can't see the point either.

That's what I've heard. 

A skier I rode the lift with yesterday said they were at Killington on Thursday, Sugarbush Friday, and Stowe Saturday... he said at least Stowe and Sugarbush have wall-to-wall coverage on their snowmaking trails.  He said the scene at Killington is like snow on the side of the trail where the snow guns are, and then like grass on the other side.  Not every trail but it sounded like what you are saying in not edge to edge on most runs.

As small as our snowfall totals have been, I have to imagine it has helped at Sugarbush northward to also get twice as much in this meager season than Killington so far.  There was a lot of natural snow terrain open most of January, and at least having some natural snow cover (even if only 10-20") makes a big difference aesthetically even if you can't quite ski the trees.  At least its not brown between the snowmaking runs.

I do know that Jay Peak has tossed in the snowmaking towel and are done for the season except for "The Jet" to have at least one spring run if we get mild in March.  But they've actually just said they are done with snowmaking and aren't spending any more money on it this season.  I've heard Smuggs is also close to just packing it in for the season (snowmaking wise) and seeing what happens.  If it snows, it snows.  If it doesn't, look on to next winter.

The issue is snowmaking in February is usually much more expensive than in Nov/Dec/Jan because electric prices are often based on historical demand...and there's not a lot of snowmaking demand in February usually.  I know we'll go through President's Week but after that I can't see the point either.

It will be long and painful wait until next year that is for sure.Smuggs is in sad shape with bare spots, ice, and in some cases grass off the sides of the trails, especially on Morse. I didn't bother taking any turns this week.

Garth is like your old uncle Sal at the dinner table, just piss in and moaning about everything.

...No.  It was a serious question.  I am not a met, nor do I pretend to be one.  I was not sure the term has some meaning for meteorology.  Why can't it just be a freaking question?  Could have been called the "model "basement" or "gazebo", or "pavilion" and I still would have asked.

Eduggs posted in the NNE but this should be shared to others because its fairly incredible to me.

ALB averages like 62" per year (or they did when I lived there, ha) which is only a half foot or so less than ORH at 1,000ft. 

Albany may go a full 365-day year period without a snow event larger than 2.0". 

If not much changes by February 15th, ALB could do a full year with less than 12" of cumulative snowfall. 

For a place that has a snowfall average most comparable to ORH in SNE, that is absolutely incredible.  Just imagine if ORH went a full year with less than 12" of total snow and no snow event larger than 2".  Anyone know of any 365 day period that might have come close?

That's not just a bad pattern, that's some bad luck (as much as some people hate that word, you don't achieve those stats without every single event finding some reason not to snow).

Eduggs posted in the NNE but this should be shared to others because its fairly incredible to me.

ALB averages like 62" per year (or they did when I lived there, ha) which is only a half foot or so less than ORH at 1,000ft. 

Albany may go a full 365-day year period without a snow event larger than 2.0". 

If not much changes by February 15th, ALB could do a full year with less than 12" of cumulative snowfall. 

For a place that has a snowfall average most comparable to ORH in SNE, that is absolutely incredible.  Just imagine if ORH went a full year with less than 12" of total snow and no snow event larger than 2".  Anyone know of any 365 day period that might have come close?

That's not just a bad pattern, that's some bad luck (as much as some people hate that word, you don't achieve those stats without every single event finding some reason not to snow).

Amazing, a snow lovers nightmare. The late 80's were pretty bad in E. MA, I was up in Andover where Jay is now but I think we did better than Albany's current drought. As I said in the other thread I would not fall for the "WNE is due argument". Patterns can be multi-year as E SNE has seen with big snows.

Over the years I've corresponded with a great many dynamic individuals, eventually met and became friends with.

All the way back to the NEWE.newsgroup. That's a few years and with that respect.

Had something happen earlier today that just sent me ballistic. Some unnamed young man needs to learn etiquette. If up to me I would ban him permanently. In this forum I believe Social Media Etiquette has been corrupted over the years more banter and chest pounding. The fun has been taken away. In many ways the forum has diminished to a status lower than ACCUWX standards. I knew more about meteorology at 14yrs old then I do today. 

Did I mention it's a hobby and supposed to be fun. The fun is forever gone but my passion and continued learning/teaching in the science with endure just not here...to be berated for mentioning an event of 100hrs of continuous snow which had the possibly of occurring. So whoa is me to a great snowstorm that I still think will overachieve regardless of model output. I now know why many knowledgeable that use to post will no longer...lost another.

And with that I bid farewell.  

Maybe 200hrs? 

Over the years I've corresponded with a great many dynamic individuals, eventually met and became friends with.

All the way back to the NEWE.newsgroup. That's a few years and with that respect.

Had something happen earlier today that just sent me ballistic. Some unnamed young man needs to learn etiquette. If up to me I would ban him permanently. In this forum I believe Social Media Etiquette has been corrupted over the years more banter and chest pounding. The fun has been taken away. In many ways the forum has diminished to a status lower than ACCUWX standards. I knew more about meteorology at 14yrs old then I do today. 

Did I mention it's a hobby and supposed to be fun. The fun is forever gone but my passion and continued learning/teaching in the science with endure just not here...to be berated for mentioning an event of 100hrs of continuous snow which had the possibly of occurring. So whoa is me to a great snowstorm that I still think will overachieve regardless of model output. I now know why many knowledgeable that use to post will no longer...lost another.

And with that I bid farewell.  

someone is fishing....

Archived