Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really busted on yesterday evening's wind forecast even back here. Part of it was being too focused on tonight's snow but we mixed way more than I expected on the back edge of that precip shield. 

Pretty ugly forecast from us on the marine side. We were two product categories off (had a gale, could have been hurricane force wind gust. Of course Isles of Shoals and Matinicus are CMAN stations with 65 foot anemometers, so not quite the same as a moored buoy. But definitely could've used a storm warning anyway.

was it a stinger?

Doesn't look like it. I suspect the edge of the dry slot aided in mixing things up a bit. The HRRR definitely showed a corridor of stronger wind gusts around 00z, right on the edge of the dry air.

Pretty ugly forecast from us on the marine side. We were two product categories off (had a gale, could have been hurricane force wind gust. Of course Isles of Shoals and Matinicus are CMAN stations with 65 foot anemometers, so not quite the same as a moored buoy. But definitely could've used a storm warning anyway.

Doesn't look like it. I suspect the edge of the dry slot aided in mixing things up a bit. The HRRR definitely showed a corridor of stronger wind gusts around 00z, right on the edge of the dry air.

HRRR looked like a meso curling through CCT up over Milton Ma to your buoys. I heard there was tree. lines damage to my NE , made sense seemed that was intensfying as it passed me.

HRRR looked like a meso curling through CCT up over Milton Ma to your buoys. I heard there was tree. lines damage to my NE , made sense seemed that was intensfying as it passed me.

Just found a peak gust to 76 knots at Matinicus last evening (435z).

There was an area of heavier showers that moved through just to the south of all these stronger wind gusts, it really seemed like it was just on the northern edge of that where things got hairy for an hour or two.

Just found a peak gust to 76 knots at Matinicus last evening (435z).

There was an area of heavier showers that moved through just to the south of all these stronger wind gusts, it really seemed like it was just on the northern edge of that where things got hairy for an hour or two.

sad we didn't live there at 435z :(

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
735 PM EST WED FEB 3 2016

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.51    38  14  38                0.0  21

Congrats NNE mountains... yesterday's 21" snow depth was the lowest in at least half a century (since 1954) for February 3rd at MMNV1, beating out the 22" in 1982.

We are full on ratter at this point...not a melt down, just pure amazement that yes, it can be this bad.  Hopefully banking some karma for future years, ha.

Nitpick - The old record worst was in 1983, the year when snowpack didn't really grow until March-April.  81-82 had serious snow in Nov-Dec and 80+ going into Feb.

Nitpick - The old record worst was in 1983, the year when snowpack didn't really grow until March-April. 81-82 had serious snow in Nov-Dec and 80+ going into Feb.

Yes you are correct.

I like how last night at midnight BTV was 54F and set the record high temp for both Feb 3 and Feb 4.

As BTV said in the AFD..."So goes it in this unprecedented warm winter"....

Archived