Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Reginas is great -- it's a small chain but they do a good job at staying true to their roots and haven't lost what makes them good by branching out. The north end locale will be packed but it's worth it.

For a burger and a beer, it's a bit out of your way, but I love Boston Burger Company on Boylston Street in Back Bay. Take the B, C, or D branches of the Green Line to Hynes station and it's a half a block down Boylston from there. http://bostonburgerco.com/

Another spot in that area that I like a lot is Audubon on Beacon Street -- excellent burger(Solid "upscale" bar food menu as well) and a pretty good beer selection. http://www.audubonboston.com/site/

I've really enjoyed today's discussion about NNE/WNE drought of significant storms.

Ironically some of today's models have shown how the CT River could once again be a dividing line of haves and have nots next week.

Do we continue a trend...? lol

Sure you enjoyed it, sure you did. Lol. It has just made me more dour and gloomy. :(

Yeah Reginas is great -- it's a small chain but they do a good job at staying true to their roots and haven't lost what makes them good by branching out. The north end locale will be packed but it's worth it.

For a burger and a beer, it's a bit out of your way, but I love Boston Burger Company on Boylston Street in Back Bay. Take the B, C, or D branches of the Green Line to Hynes station and it's a half a block down Boylston from there. http://bostonburgerco.com/

Another spot in that area that I like a lot is Audubon on Beacon Street -- excellent burger(Solid "upscale" bar food menu as well) and a pretty good beer selection. http://www.audubonboston.com/site/

Grab some tasty pastries too.

Thanks gents. Might check out Boston Burger Co on Sunday. Looks great.

Pulling for you guys to get some snow on Friday. Sitting at just under 2" for my seasonal total here, lol. 

Yes that is right PF. We did bias the NAO pretty negative between 2000-2013. Then starting in 2013-2014 winter (the shift really happened in late spring of 2013 IMHO) we saw a different regime take hold. Who knows of its just a fleeting run of 3 or 4 years or if this will dominate for most of the next decade.

If you look at your great winters, several of them were big -NAO years. Not all of course but several. Years like '70-'71, '00-'01, '69-'70 to name a few. Not saying this one would have been great with a -NAO but you would have a heck of a lot more snow for sure. This event is a poster child example. You probably get like 10" of dense snow followed by a bit of IP before flipping back to fluff on te upslope as the sfc gets squeezed over LI or something and the ML center goes over ALB to Maine.

Yeah I agree...and those are built into our climo.

This morning it is currently:

4,000ft...19F

2,600ft...23F

1,550ft...27F

And its been pouring sleet from the start an hour or two ago.  Not a flake to be found as its torched well above 850mb. 

We are still making snow right now at all elevations out of the snow guns, but Mother Nature can't even figure out how to snow, ha. 

Its these events that don't drop 4-6" of dense snow before glazing that are really hurting our numbers the past few seasons.  Western Mass would do well in those too...the front enders where Hippy doesn't go above 32F but puts down a good dense base.   

A way I would view the -NAO in powderfreak land is "protecter of snow". While it may turn on you once in a while keeping things suppressed, it truly does stop the rain up there. Really tough to rain and it can turn some storms that might have been rain into big snow events.

Love the analogy.  

We never get all our climo snow from coastals (probably nor does anyone from the ORH hills westward) which is pretty much been the only game in town for snow.  Normally it snows all different ways, but it seems lately its solely coastal storms and you have to rest your faith in them.  Ginxy to BOS and environs probably get the vast majority of their seasonal snow from coastals, maybe some overrunning or clipper from time to time, but most of it is from lows over the ocean.

Probably Hubb Dave down to DIT and westward gets a portion of seasonal snow from coastal storms, but as you head that direction climo is also clippers, overrunning, SWFE, front-enders, etc in addition to coastals.  Remove everything else and have coastals be the only way to snow (coastal or cutter), and you get what's been happening.

Love the analogy.  

We never get all our climo snow from coastals (probably nor does anyone from the ORH hills westward) which is pretty much been the only game in town for snow.  Normally it snows all different ways, but it seems lately its solely coastal storms and you have to rest your faith in them.  Ginxy to BOS and environs probably get the vast majority of their seasonal snow from coastals, maybe some overrunning or clipper from time to time, but most of it is from lows over the ocean.

Probably Hubb Dave down to DIT and westward gets a portion of seasonal snow from coastal storms, but as you head that direction climo is also clippers, overrunning, SWFE, front-enders, etc in addition to coastals.  Remove everything else and have coastals be the only way to snow (coastal or cutter), and you get what's been happening.

Well coastals can mean storms that hug too. I would argue a lot of interior snows come from coastals that are snow to rain in BOS etc.  I think you mean the 40/70 tracks that aren't favorable for the far interior.

Well coastals can mean storms that hug too. I would argue a lot of interior snows come from coastals that are snow to rain in BOS etc.  I think you mean the 40/70 tracks that aren't favorable for the far interior.

True, yeah I have no idea how much of like Hippy or MPM or Codfish or Lurker's snow comes from coastals... I guess I just think the climo there has a lot more types of storms built into it.  It shouldn't be a total reliance on coastal storms.  That area gets a ton of like 2-5" then IP/ZR events that maybe are 2" or less on the coastal plain before rain depending on the situation.  Also clippers that drop 3-6" have been completely absent. 

I guess I was thinking that with solely coastal storms to get snow, its no surprise the biggest departures will be back towards the west because we are missing like the other types of systems that say make up half the seasonal snow.

True, yeah I have no idea how much of like Hippy or MPM or Codfish or Lurker's snow comes from coastals... I guess I just think the climo there has a lot more types of storms built into it.  It shouldn't be a total reliance on coastal storms.  That area gets a ton of like 2-5" then IP/ZR events that maybe are 2" or less on the coastal plain before rain depending on the situation.  Also clippers that drop 3-6" have been completely absent. 

I guess I was thinking that with solely coastal storms to get snow, its no surprise the biggest departures will be back towards the west because we are missing like the other types of systems that say make up half the seasonal snow.

Coastals obviously produce here but I definitely appreciate the reliability of SWFE's for this area even if they are not blockbusters.

A freight train SWFE can be on the models 3-4 days out and hold course without me fretting too much over track.

the only coastal in recent memory that really had great rates for a few hours or more was feb 13....even jan 11 was more inch an hr, occasionally a bit more but that was a good event here with 18-19 inches total

just wish feb 13 had been during the day lol...the crushing part that is

?

some may not have been in an actually CCB ... a real, true one, where ever it is they happened to have been in recent years, during bigger events. 

most of the memorable nor'easters have frontogenic meso banding that pukes snow rates to 4" or more per hour, amid a general 2" /hr comma head.  

granted, we did seem to go through some winters in these early 2000's that featured more overrunning type set ups.  but solidly constructed winter storms of the coastal ilk snow hard. 

Archived