Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly remember lots of cold and wind.  Snow, not so much.  I graduated in 76, so I wasn't there for 77 and 78.

was there a colder walk than from Edwards to Chafee? The wind came off those turf fields up that hill and just blasted you, lol. Pretty unusual in 76 too with the Midwest just getting croaked with cold, we just got pieces but immediately warmed up. I hated that winter with a passion.

was there a colder walk than from Edwards to Chafee? The wind came off those turf fields up that hill and just blasted you, lol. Pretty unusual in 76 too with the Midwest just getting croaked with cold, we just got pieces but immediately warmed up. I hated that winter with a passion.

The Quad was just brutal, too.  I lived in Burnside freshman year (facing NW towards the cow barns), and originally the dorm was built without significant insulation.  It was so cold in December 72 that they had to put in 2x4s and additional insulation and paneling over the semester break.  I do have vague recollections of 60s and 70s in January or February of 1976 . . . or maybe it was the hash!

Highest temp in Maine I've seen for the 2012 torch was 84 at Bridgton.  PWM got to 88 at the end of March 1998, and IIRC there were some spots that touched 90 that month.

It was 91 on our two Tstats out of the Sun facing south at the base of Sunday River. Mid 80's were probably the consensus, Freyburg was 86 Gray was like 84 so was Bethel  and Poland areas, any rate it was baking hot

It was 91 on our two Tstats out of the Sun facing south at the base of Sunday River. Mid 80's were probably the consensus, Freyburg was 86 Gray was like 84 so was Bethel  and Poland areas, any rate it was baking hot

I remember a couple mornings during that towards the end of the torch, walking into Mountain Operations Center at 5am and the LOW temps were like 55-60F at 1,500ft.  Just walking into the ski resort at 5am in mid-March in like shorts was quite the odd scene.  The groomers reporting they were hearing like sucking sounds from the snow as it melted so fast, lol.

Stowe base area graph for that torch.  Just incredible.  Highs in the upper 70s to near 80F with lows in the mid to upper 50s.  For days.

I remember we made it through the first 3 days fine and the snow was melting but it was holding.  Then it ripened up and hit that critical level and it was between the 3rd and 4th day that we came in that morning and it was just gone. 

Always seems to be that way with torches...you get halfway through and think this isn't that bad and its holding.  Then you reach that critical point.  Like even a 24 hour torch, you make it through the sunny warm day with plenty of snow and think you'll be fine come morning, only to wake up and realize you somehow lost it all overnight at 38F (when the sunny and 50s the day before didn't seem to do anything). 

That was a fun time... I remember the Snow Report was "Come out today because it may not be here tomorrow!"

Stowe base area graph for that torch.  Just incredible.  Highs in the upper 70s to near 80F with lows in the mid to upper 50s.  For days.

I remember we made it through the first 3 days fine and the snow was melting but it was holding.  Then it ripened up and hit that critical level and it was between the 3rd and 4th day that we came in that morning and it was just gone. 

Always seems to be that way with torches...you get halfway through and think this isn't that bad and its holding.  Then you reach that critical point.  Like even a 24 hour torch, you make it through the sunny warm day with plenty of snow and think you'll be fine come morning, only to wake up and realize you somehow lost it all overnight at 38F (when the sunny and 50s the day before didn't seem to do anything). 

attachicon.gifStowe_Base_March_2012.jpg

That was a fun time... I remember the Snow Report was "Come out today because it may not be here tomorrow!"

It's all about that temperature of the pack.

I remember a couple mornings during that towards the end of the torch, walking into Mountain Operations Center at 5am and the LOW temps were like 55-60F at 1,500ft.  Just walking into the ski resort at 5am in mid-March in like shorts was quite the odd scene.  The groomers reporting they were hearing like sucking sounds from the snow as it melted so fast, lol.

The first day a Monday I overdressed by noon I was soaked, the sking was fantastic that day though. On Tuesday I went out in shorts and skied the rest of the week in a tee shirt and shorts. Surprisingly skied pretty damn good, buttery stuff. The bottoms of the chairs were boot deep in water but it was refreshing to get wet!. The experience alone was so worth it. Just glad I didn't take any diggers with shorts on. The next 3 years were polar opposites.

It's all about that temperature of the pack.

Yup.  Crystal structure.  Once they all become wet granulars isothermal to the base of the pack...lookout.  That water is going to percolate through without trouble and then you've just got a feedback loop going as more and more top snow melts through to the base of the pack...a slow acceleration of melt continues the looser those crystal bonds become.

The first day a Monday I overdressed by noon I was soaked, the sking was fantastic that day though. On Tuesday I went out in shorts and skied the rest of the week in a tee shirt and shorts. Surprisingly skied pretty damn good, buttery stuff. The bottoms of the chairs were boot deep in water but it was refreshing to get wet!. The experience alone was so worth it. Just glad I didn't take any diggers with shorts on. The next 3 years were polar opposites.

When I skied SR in late March 2014, it was all chalky bumps and packed powder (with a mini snow of 3" while I was there that weekend, temps in the low 20s)...it was nothing like typical spring skiing. Last year, I skied a bit earlier in March but still the same thing...no spring conditions at all...chalky snow. Just not as deep as 2014, lol. 2014 had like a 50" natural pack on the level at the base of the mountain.

a) not trolling.

b: i'm around more than you think

c) not noticeably absent - just get too busy to post here when weather is actually doing something

d) what i wrote is pretty fair. if we are actually interpreting it literally...the event on 9/10 is a rainer to S NH. maybe starts wintry but meh. that's a crap set-up as modeled right there on the op run.

e) it's OK to say the pattern sucks.

yeah sure lol last post Jan 14,pattern is fine by me.

yeah sure lol last post Jan 14,pattern is fine by me.

OK. i read from my phone, not signed in, pretty regularly. may not have the time to follow every post in every thread but i check out the board to see what some folks on here are writing. 

when there's actually weather that has an impact, i have other responsibilities than to argue whether the CMC is 50 miles further north, sorry. but it probably also helps to alleviate a snow bias to post less. 

OK. i read from my phone, not signed in, pretty regularly. may not have the time to follow every post in every thread but i check out the board to see what some folks on here are writing.

when there's actually weather that has an impact, i have other responsibilities than to argue whether the CMC is 50 miles further north, sorry. but it probably also helps to alleviate a snow bias to post less.

was referring to your regularlity of LR posting torch! Then no LR posts from Jan 14th until today a drive by Torch! I figured you were trolling Kev. My bad. Are you AN snowfall season to date?

Archived