• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net

About 1 yr ago...halfway there.

what a year they have been having only Feb 1 and 250 inches.

Today marks the halfway point in Steamboat's ski season. Fun snowfall facts: • 20+ feet of snow has fallen so far this season. • We've had 21 powder days, with 5 measuring in double digits. • It has snowed on more than 60 percent of days this season. 70 days left to hit the slopes!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was 91 on our two Tstats out of the Sun facing south at the base of Sunday River. Mid 80's were probably the consensus, Freyburg was 86 Gray was like 84 so was Bethel  and Poland areas, any rate it was baking hot

Though the March 1998 torch had slightly higher top end readings for NNE overall, it was a one or two day event.  2012 was nearly a week, and was the warmer in western Maine.  A look at Farmington's 5 warmest temps in March, 1893 on, is almost unbelievable (to those who didn't experience it):

83    3/22/2012

82    3/21/2012

80    3/20/2012

79    3/20/1903

78    3/18/2012

(77 on 3/29/1945 is the only other March day above 74.)

what a year they have been having only Feb 1 and 250 inches.

Today marks the halfway point in Steamboat's ski season. Fun snowfall facts: • 20+ feet of snow has fallen so far this season. • We've had 21 powder days, with 5 measuring in double digits. • It has snowed on more than 60 percent of days this season. 70 days left to hit the slopes!

A friend is there for 3 months said its been good last two weeks. That pic looks like it's near howlison hill.

That's sick and they are only halfway there.  The ski resort at 250" is getting close to hitting their 300" average like 2+ months early.

Kind of a weenie spot to live for cold and snow. Looks like all of their daily records are 32F or less...even in July. SBS has some -50s in there too from earlier in the century. Not much taint in the winter there either...just pow on top of pow.

Kind of a weenie spot to live for cold and snow. Looks like all of their daily records are 32F or less...even in July. SBS has some -50s in there too from earlier in the century. Not much taint in the winter there either...just pow on top of pow.

Yeah I think all Colorado ski towns have sub-32 record mins in the summer. I went to Steamboat several times and almost moved there at one point. Their summers are just amazing. Like high of 80F low of 40F type stuff and very low dews. Every day is like a 40-50F diurnal range with afternoon thunderstorms rolling off the high peaks.

The only thing with Steamboat is they are a lower elevation that places like Crested Butte and Telluride, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, etc.

That's what is so great about their winters above, say, 7k feet or so. It hardly ever rains. Anyone above 8-8500 feet like literally never rains except the shoulder seasons. So you just stack up snow. A lot of places are at like 70-80% of an entire season and February and March are usually huge months there. April too. Amazing how much they got in January which is often the least snowy at many of those places.

Yeah I think all Colorado ski towns have sub-32 record mins in the summer. I went to Steamboat several times and almost moved there at one point. Their summers are just amazing. Like high of 80F low of 40F type stuff and very low dews. Every day is like a 40-50F diurnal range with afternoon thunderstorms rolling off the high peaks.

The only thing with Steamboat is they are a lower elevation that places like Crested Butte and Telluride, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, etc.

I just looked up their record highs...highest is 100F in 6/29/1990.

The low was 45F....lol

I just looked up their record highs...highest is 100F in 6/29/1990.

The low was 45F....lol

Was looking through some of the normals of the ski towns out west.... I really think my ideal climate matches Crested Butte, CO. 

The town is at like 8-9,000ft so it gets early and late season snows.  You actually average snowfall in September and in May/June.

Summer climo is 70s/30s.  Snowfall is 197.5" on average (since 1909) and depths in town peak out around 3 feet in February. 

You can tell its fluffy snow as the total liquid amounts really aren't that much.  But if it doesn't melt or have torches, who cares?  They get like 200" of snow on 23" of ANNUAL precipitation (as opposed to an average of like 40-50" of annual QPF in most of New England). 

Archived