• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00

True Confessions time:

I love snow - last year was amazing, but exhausting.  I'm 61 now, and I don't expect to ever surpass last year and the Blizzard of 78.  Saturday I grilled salmon in the backyard with a cold beer in hand.  Yesterday it was 57 and we went for a nearly mud-free hike in the Blue Hills.  Today it is already 64 and when I get home I'll be grilling steak tips with a cold beer.  Right now I say give me this thru February and March and I'll be a happy camper.  The snowshoes and x-country skis won't come out of the garage this year, but I'm enjoying this!  However, I'm sure I'll get sucked in if/when another 2 footer realistically appears on the horizon.  Told my wife this morning I wouldn't mind another 2 footer like March 2013 - get buried, torch and have it gone a week later.  But, for now, I've got spring fever.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True Confessions time:

I love snow - last year was amazing, but exhausting.  I'm 61 now, and I don't expect to ever surpass last year and the Blizzard of 78.  Saturday I grilled salmon in the backyard with a cold beer in hand.  Yesterday it was 57 and we went for a nearly mud-free hike in the Blue Hills.  Today it is already 64 and when I get home I'll be grilling steak tips with a cold beer.  Right now I say give me this thru February and March and I'll be a happy camper.  The snowshoes and x-country skis won't come out of the garage this year, but I'm enjoying this!  However, I'm sure I'll get sucked in if/when another 2 footer realistically appears on the horizon.  Told my wife this morning I wouldn't mind another 2 footer like March 2013 - get buried, torch and have it gone a week later.  But, for now, I've got spring fever.

Nice man, I am totally liking this too. Yes agree, this weather does not bother me at all after last year. Have to enjoy whatever is thrown at us good or bad. Some pretty solid signs for mid month, hit or miss it is what it is. Last April I started off the winter 15/16 thread with a ratter 20-40" south to north post for SNE, but then later in the year thought the second half would be better. Many have cancelled winter today, we will see what transpires but real nice look coming up.

Nice man, I am totally liking this too. Yes agree does not bother me at all after last year. Have to enjoy whatever is thrown at us good or bad. Some pretty solid signs for mid month, hit or miss it is what it is. Last April I started off the winter 15/16 thread with a ratter 20-40 south to north post but then later in the year thought the second half i would be better. Many have cancelled winter today, we will see what transpires but real nice look coming up.

Yeah, if it snows, fine, but if not this life is good for this winter.  Not sure I would have felt the same when I was younger.

Yeah, if it snows, fine, but if not this life is good for this winter.  Not sure I would have felt the same when I was younger.

same here-even a few years ago I would be upset, but having the last 15 years of so of awesome winter storms and cold, I'm fine with what's essentially turning out to be a year off.    Never lead away from warmth for a big Nino, that's my lesson learned this year

same here-even a few years ago I would be upset, but having the last 15 years of so of awesome winter storms and cold, I'm fine with what's essentially turning out to be a year off.    Never lead away from warmth for a big Nino, that's my lesson learned this year

One thing I have learned is don't turn you back on winter Feb 1st, you may be able to post this April 1st until then.....

If we truly ratted out region wide with little to no snow cover and above normal temps heading into spring I imagine there would be some consequences for farms and agriculture?

Unless Feb-Mar-Apr is exceptionally dry, I'd expect normally high water tables as we enter the growing season, so ag issues would hinge more on the rains May thru August.  The ratter to dry spring scenario might have a bigger adverse impact on reservoirs used for water supply or hydro.

Moved up here from Rhode Island in 2002, and I can't even remember how many storms of 2 feet or more I've had since then!  Yeah, I can't feel bad or complain about a year off if this year ends bad.

Unless Feb-Mar-Apr is exceptionally dry, I'd expect normally high water tables as we enter the growing season, so ag issues would hinge more on the rains May thru August.  The ratter to dry spring scenario might have a bigger adverse impact on reservoirs used for water supply or hydro.

-2 so far Met winter but as you know that can change in a week. You can slam snow in March in Maine like nobodys business too.

-2 so far Met winter but as you know that can change in a week. You can slam snow in March in Maine like nobodys business too.

March '14 was pretty awesome up there .

The pic of me with the snow up past my waist was from March 23, 2014 just south of Sunday River. They had gotten over a foot of snow right before I got there on top of an already awesome pack...you were still on your trip for that one. That was after like 16-18" from the big one on Mar 12-13th.

Not like we haven't seen this before whereas last year nobody alive in ESNE had ever seen that.

Certainly don't remember a lot of snow at URI in the 1970s.  Bought my first x-country skis my freshman year (72-73) and they didn't get much use, and there sure wasn't much skiing at Yawgoo Valley.  The one thing that would help this winter is if the URI BB team would start playing with some consistency.

The pic of me with the snow up past my waist was from March 23, 2014 just south of Sunday River. They had gotten over a foot of snow right before I got there on top of an already awesome pack...you were still on your trip for that one. That was after like 16-18" from the big one on Mar 14th.

The last two winters were just about perfect hydro-wise too. Slow melts, no big QPF events, no flooding.

Even that March 2012 torch featured nothing in the way of rain events, so it was a quicker burn off of snow pack but nothing the rivers couldn't handle.

The last two winters were just about perfect hydro-wise too. Slow melts, no big QPF events, no flooding.

Even that March 2012 torch featured nothing in the way of rain events, so it was a quicker burn off of snow pack but nothing the rivers couldn't handle.

Yeah last year down here too it was a nice meltoff...just a slow drip...partially why we still had full snowpack on like April 5th even pretty close to Boston. :lol:

The pic of me with the snow up past my waist was from March 23, 2014 just south of Sunday River. They had gotten over a foot of snow right before I got there on top of an already awesome pack...you were still on your trip for that one. That was after like 16-18" from the big one on Mar 14th.

What a great  month. I will be there the 20th -27th, hopefully March is big for them. and yea it gets big up there in a hurry. 2001 was insane.

Damn my boy in Omaha is going to get smoked, Euro has  a foot with winds near 50, hope he and the kids enjoy it, jelly.

Certainly don't remember a lot of snow at URI in the 1970s.  Bought my first x-country skis my freshman year (72-73) and they didn't get much use, and there sure wasn't much skiing at Yawgoo Valley.  The one thing that would help this winter is if the URI BB team would start playing with some consistency.

PC fan, lol Alumni from URI being a PC fan, you hate me now?

What a great  month. I will be there the 20th -27th, hopefully March is big for them. and yea it gets big up there in a hurry. 2001 was insane.

Damn my boy in Omaha is going to get smoked, Euro has  a foot with winds near 50, hope he and the kids enjoy it, jelly.

Prob doing a day trip on Feb 13th...not sure exactly where yet, but hopefully there's a system or two before that.

March will probably be good this year is my guess. We've been pretty spoiled though the past 3 years...all of them have been excellent March skiing.

We currently have had 5.2 inches and really don't see much more in the next 10 days per our local met. I really don't know what our average should be I am guessing maybe 44 inches. So we would be just about 12 percent. I wonder if that would set a record as least snow fall.

Lol I watched an entire Mtn with blown snow melt in 5 days, it was amazing. The sound of the boulders clanging through the steel culverts was special.

Very true, as we saw in 2014.  However, March is the real hit-or-miss one of the 4 snowy months here.  Top 5 and bottom 5 March snow totals (leaving out the middle 7):

55.5"   2001

32.2"   1999

31.1"   2005

30.8"   2014

19.3"   2007    (Really belongs in the mid-range mix.)

0.6"   2010

2.8"   2006

3.4"   2004

7.5"   2009   (5.6" came on 3/2.)

9.2"   2003

A dry week certainly helped, but also relevant was that places like Rangeley and Eustis never had tall snowpack that winter, and had already dropped into single digit depths when the torch arrived.

Nah, I was a PC fan before I went to URI and most of my friends are PC fans.  Still remember rooting for the Jimmy Walker, Mike Riordan teams as a kid.  They're certainly having a far better season than anyone could have expected!

They have a great coach.  Jan 76  at  URI was about as bipolar a month as you will see, I mean brutal cold high winds then it was in the  60s , Feb did that too, big storm second week of March though. 77 was a good winter then of course 78

Very true, as we saw in 2014.  However, March is the real hit-or-miss one of the 4 snowy months here.  Top 5 and bottom 5 March snow totals (leaving out the middle 7):

55.5"   2001

32.2"   1999

31.1"   2005

30.8"   2014

19.3"   2007    (Really belongs in the mid-range mix.)

0.6"   2010

2.8"   2006

3.4"   2004

7.5"   2009   (5.6" came on 3/2.)

9.2"   2003

A dry week certainly helped, but also relevant was that places like Rangeley and Eustis never had tall snowpack that winter, and had already dropped into single digit depths when the torch arrived.

I have spent the 3rd week of March in Bethel/Newry Maine every year since 1991 . Seen it be -20 to +91 lol

They have a great coach.  Jan 76  at  URI was about as bipolar a month as you will see, I mean brutal cold high winds then it was in the  60s , Feb did that too, big storm fsecond week of March though. 77 was a good winter then of course 78

I certainly remember lots of cold and wind.  Snow, not so much.  I graduated in 76, so I wasn't there for 77 and 78.

Archived