• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache

It's not like I'm dropping $100 on tickets lol. I spent about $9.

My reasoning for just buying for this jackpot is not fully for the jackpot but its the payout for having 3 or so numbers...it still probably isn't a huge amount (I guess unless you play the powerplay which I did) but its much bigger than with the smaller jackpots.

I usually stick to a $5 scratch off every now and then or sometimes a $10 but I haven't done that in quite some time

How can you spend 9 dollars if they cost 2 dollars a ticket ?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome!

In 7th grade I found a crosswords on the ground that was scratched (I used to pick up ones I saw on the ground b/c you never know if someone was stupid and threw away money) and I thought I won $10,000. I told my two best friends I would give them each $1000 and one of my friends humped our friends kitchen table and broke a salt shaker.

Turns out it was not a winning ticket

I actually found a winning scratch off ticket that had been left on the ground, when I was a kid. I think it was for $10 or $15, so nothing crazy, but still kind of exciting as a kid.

I rarely buy scratch-offs. Occasionally around my birthday I will. The last few times I either won $1 or $2, sometimes forgetting to even cash in the ticket.  :arrowhead: It seems kind of silly to cash in for a buck, but hey, it's money...

Everyone at work was giving me a hard time for not putting into the pool for the last Powerball drawing. Now that I'm not putting in for tonight's drawing either, I'm like the big joke in the office. We'll see who's laughing at 11:02... They claimed to have "won $16" Wednesday night, but I explained that they had put in like three times that much, so it was still an overall loss.

never buy them myself but the 2 bucks in quarters in my center console need a new spot, no problem giving 2 bucks for Education

Voted "no" on the Maine lottery referendum in 1974, was twice given a ticket by friends the next year and did check them out (would've been rude not to), with the usual results.  Voted "no" two decades later for the Outdoor Heritage Fund lottery, even though I knew many of the grants it would generate would come to our agency.  Recent detailed study of lottery purchase patterns in Maine revealed that areas with higher poverty and unemployment rates buy more than the average - no real surprise.

I do put in for an any-deer permit each year, but see that as wholly different.  It's one application per person, the "prize" is an opportunity rather than money or goods, and it's obviously the fairest way to allocate a limited resource.

About 20 years ago I stopped by a local store and a friend was talking to the clerk, who we both knew, and playing scratch-offs. I decided to hang out for a while and play a few tickets as well. I won a couple of dollars here and there and used the money to buy a couple of more tickets. I then gave asked the clerk for another ticket but when I went to pay, noticed that all I had left was a $20 bill. Not wanting to break the bill and end up spending my last cash until pay day, I told the clerk I didn't want the ticket. The clerk was about to put it back but my friend told her he would take it. He scratched it off and it was a $10,000 winner. I haven't really played the lottery since. I occasionally buy scratch-offs for stocking stuffers or throw in a couple of bucks to buy tickets with a group of coworkers but I really don't have the appetite for the lottery.

About 20 years ago I stopped by a local store and a friend was talking to the clerk, who we both knew, and playing scratch-offs. I decided to hang out for a while and play a few tickets as well. I won a couple of dollars here and there and used the money to buy a couple of more tickets. I then gave asked the clerk for another ticket but when I went to pay, noticed that all I had left was a $20 bill. Not wanting to break the bill and end up spending my last cash until pay day, I told the clerk I didn't want the ticket. The clerk was about to put it back but my friend told her he would take it. He scratched it off and it was a $10,000 winner. I haven't really played the lottery since. I occasionally buy scratch-offs for stocking stuffers or throw in a couple of bucks to buy tickets with a group of coworkers but I really don't have the appetite for the lottery.

My former boss won $200 million a few years ago. It happens.

I rarely buy any lottery tix but here is a good story:

In the early 90's a good friend of mine was an avid scratch ticket player and had a few nice hits but who knows how much he spent. He was between sales jobs and working part-time at a convenience store (7/11) One night he started scratching $2 tickets (not able to pay for them) and was well over 100 tix when he finally hit for $700! He split profit with the woman who was on shift with him (she was apparently freaking out about getting arrested over it) He was indeed fired from that job not long after.

He still drops about $20 - $30 a week and recently hit for 20k but I still feel like he is probably in the red after all these years.

After the 20k hit last summer he took me and two other guys out for a night of expensive beers at Dirty Truth in Northampton.

meh the whole "how much spent" deal over "winning" is a little overblown.  If you're spending like $10 a week on lotto chances are you're not really hurting yourself that much...sure it does add up over time but its not like your dropping 20K at once.  However, even if over the course of a year you spent $500 on tickets and then one day you hit for $500...that $500 you won instantly offers much more than the nickle-and-dime-way you spent to spending $500 over a year.  

meh the whole "how much spent" deal over "winning" is a little overblown.  If you're spending like $10 a week on lotto chances are you're not really hurting yourself that much...sure it does add up over time but its not like your dropping 20K at once.  However, even if over the course of a year you spent $500 on tickets and then one day you hit for $500...that $500 you won instantly offers much more than the nickle-and-dime-way you spent to spending $500 over a year.  

Yeah, but lets say you're 20 years old and spend $10 a week, 52 weeks a year for 45 years. You'll probably never hit the big one, and if you had invested that money in a passage ETF earning 9% average per annum that's a solid three hundred thousand you've foregone for your retirement. 

Yeah, but lets say you're 20 years old and spend $10 a week, 52 weeks a year for 45 years. You'll probably never hit the big one, and if you had invested that money in a passage ETF earning 9% average per annum that's a solid three hundred thousand you've foregone for your retirement. 

you could also pretty much the same thing with any money spent on junk lol...don't get me wrong, I totally understand what you're saying but how many people really do this?  Hell, if I could go back to when I first started working when I was 15 I would have taken my grandparents/aunts advice and saved money but nope.

I agree with your general point, but what is going to average 9% for 45 years?

Really cool shots, thanks for sharing. Would be awesome if you caught a bear.

My brother-in-law gave me the camera for Christmas; I'm really enjoying it.  I had it out for at least 5-6 nights before catching anything.  I'm not sure if it was due to the cooler nights we had after Christmas of just luck of the draw.  But the activity has picked up the last few nights.

When the beaver pond's free of ice, I probably will try it down there for a few nights to see what type of activity takes place by a watering spot.

39.6*

.36"

Archived