Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I woke up feeling optimistic this morn.  Probably because the weekend is clearly a disaster and no use investing emotional energy in that.  But it clears the deck, allows cold air to come in and perhaps contributes to more blocking and a better set up.  And perhaps a clipper on Wednesday and a bigger storm over the weekend.  Wouldn't be surprised to see the clipper trend stronger.  Looks like we are going into a good 2 week period.  Also, I don't buy a sustained returned to a AN pattern later in January.  Maybe a relax.

OUr local met is such a tool. Starts the forecast this morning talking as if we've been under a barrage of cold for days and how it'll be nice to enjoy the next three days of 30+F weather. Then says "so get out those snowshoes" and enjoy it while you can". Ugh, dude, there's no snowshoeing around here on 2" of hardpacked snow/ice. Anyways, 1" RN on sunday will really set the mood for good 'ole winter.  :axe: 

Any idea why KFIT was so warm then? A little UHI but not much. 20 degrees different over 15 miles

About 600 feet el difference

If FIT had any wind at all then they would have stayed warm. It looks like from their obs they had trouble going calm. They only briefly went calm and then wind kicked back up so the inversion never was really able to get established and they got a mixed atmosphere. Last night was a razor's edge for inversions.

About an inch or two of snow OTG here at O'Hare airport in Chicago while I wait for my connecting flight to Colorado. Hopefully I can bring some winter back.

If FIT had any wind at all then they would have stayed warm. It looks like from their obs they had trouble going calm. They only briefly went calm and then wind kicked back up so the inversion never was really able to get established and they got a mixed atmosphere. Last night was a razor's edge for inversions.

About an inch or two of snow OTG here at O'Hare airport in Chicago while I wait for my connecting flight to Colorado. Hopefully I can bring some winter back.

Enjoy it man and do your best to lug some snow back with you. We are starVing.

Logan is more from being near UHI too. It doesn't do well on radiatonal cooling nights. Winds sometimes stay up a few knots.

There is really only a few days a year there isn't some type of breeze in Southie. Since we don't cool down as much as burbs that same breeze helps make up for the temperature difference. Downright miserable when the wind is blowing. That's one thing I noticed at Bridgton. It did hit -31F one morning at the closest ASOS site, but it wasn't all that bad if you bundled up because there was zero wind. I expected it to be worse. Kind of a boring low temp fetish because it warms so quickly the minute the sun comes up.

Pretty classic mixed atmosphere vs. below the inversion.

So last night MVL was below zero all night (hitting -10F for a low) at 750ft.

Up at 1,550ft the station near Stowe's base (only 800ft higher than MVL) was at 13F right after midnight, but then you can see how it mixed out suddenly.  Wind gusts went up to 30-40mph, the temp shot up to 32F, and the dew point tanked.  They were at like 18% RH.

So in only a few miles and 800 vertical feet, you had one spot in the 30-32F range all night, while down in town it was like -10F.

Pretty classic mixed atmosphere vs. below the inversion.

So last night MVL was below zero all night (hitting -10F for a low) at 750ft.

Up at 1,550ft the station near Stowe's base (only 800ft higher than MVL) was at 13F right after midnight, but then you can see how it mixed out suddenly.  Wind gusts went up to 30-40mph, the temp shot up to 32F, and the dew point tanked.  They were at like 18% RH.

So in only a few miles and 800 vertical feet, you had one spot in the 30-32F range all night, while down in town it was like -10F.

attachicon.gifSpruce Base.jpg

Pretty wild.

Have fun bro.

How long you gone?

Did Meghan go?

OUr local met is such a tool. Starts the forecast this morning talking as if we've been under a barrage of cold for days and how it'll be nice to enjoy the next three days of 30+F weather. Then says "so get out those snowshoes" and enjoy it while you can". Ugh, dude, there's no snowshoeing around here on 2" of hardpacked snow/ice. Anyways, 1" RN on sunday will really set the mood for good 'ole winter.  :axe:

Don't know if you're referencing one of the PWM TV-casters or someone else.  My impression is that most of that PWM group seem to take the urban-area chamber of commerce view - warmer is better, drier is better, snow/rain is always bad.  Having those viewpoints is one thing, even if I disagree, but sometimes it seems to affect their forecasting as well.

BML with the 36/-12 today for a 48F range. Toss the MET (as usual) and go with the big diurnal day again tomorrow. It tried giving CON mid 30s today...validation was 43F

lol damn that beat us.  How the heck did BML get to 36F?  36/-3, that's classic mountain valley compressional warming drying and heating the column out to 18% RH.

Yeah high pressure and clear skies...the mountain valleys are going to go to town tonight for radiational cooling and then recover 8F per hour tomorrow morning, haha.

Its actually already happening... 3pm temperature was 29F and 6pm temperature is 15F.  Averaging 5F per hour drop right now.

Archived