Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hilarious, because when someone interprtets a model run of for a small /mid size storm, and belches meh or utter outrage because we're not getting 2', I'm secretly smug and smiling. I think Kevin's in my camp too, as far as I've inferred.

Most want the big one but we appreciate any size system at the same time. I don't know where you get you reasoning from tbh.

What??

I'd take one 37 inch dump and sacrifice every flake for the rest of the season.

Likewise.  I was in RI for blizzard of 78 with 3 feet of snow and the south shore last year for 8 feet of snow in 3 weeks.  To me, last year was more amazing that 78, but I would love to see another blizzard of 78 dump 3 to 4 feet!  Give me that tomorrow and I won't care if we don't see another flake until next year.

Likewise.  I was in RI for blizzard of 78 with 3 feet of snow and the south shore last year for 8 feet of snow in 3 weeks.  To me, last year was more amazing that 78, but I would love to see another blizzard of 78 dump 3 to 4 feet!  Give me that tomorrow and I won't care if we don't see another flake until next year.

I agree.

As amazing as 2/'78 must have been, nothing tops the aggregate impact of what transpired last season.

Especially for my local area because as I had discussed with Will in the immediate aftermath, the blizzard last year was relatively comparable to that event IMBY.

Snow amount was about dead-nuts on, but obviously the wind was not quite as severe.

So knock 15 mph off of the winds.....we have the '78 event, which was followed by a slow methodical decay of winter, and the 2015 juggernaut, that marked the beginning of boreal winter's version  of hell on earth as this section of the country has come to  know it.

No contest.

Additionally, March 1993 satiated my drift fetish.....I don't think Feb '78 was worse than that, aside from only featuring  about half the mount of snow....

I agree.

As amazing as 2/'78 must have been, nothing tops the aggregate impact of what transpired last season.

Especially for my local area because as I had discussed with Will in the immediate aftermath, the blizzard last year was relatively comparable to that event IMBY.

Snow amount was about dead-nuts on, but obviously the wind was not quite as severe.

So knock 15 mph off of the winds.....we have the '78 event, which was followed by a slow methodical decay of winter, and the 2015 juggernaut, that marked the beginning of boreal winter's version  of hell on earth as this section of the country has come to  know it.

No contest.

Additionally, March 1993 satiated my drift fetish.....I don't think Feb '78 was worse than that, aside from only featuring  about half the mount of snow....

I've never seen anything even close to '78 for drifting - the winds in RI were insane.  I had taken my cross country skis with me to work on Monday and skied home on Tuesday.  I fell into a drift in the middle of the road and literally could not get out - totally submerged.  I was lucky someone was outside at their house and helped pull me out.  I wonder what the snow measurements would have been using today's methods?

I've never seen anything even close to '78 for drifting - the winds in RI were insane.  I had taken my cross country skis with me to work on Monday and skied home on Tuesday.  I fell into a drift in the middle of the road and literally could not get out - totally submerged.  I was lucky someone was outside at their house and helped pull me out.  I wonder what the snow measurements would have been using today's methods?

3 to 5 feet easy, sh it North Foster RI  had 4.5 qpf with temps no higher than 26, they recorded 35 measuring once a day, as you well know the compaction in that storm was crazy.

3 to 5 feet easy, sh it North Foster RI  had 4.5 qpf with temps no higher than 26, they recorded 35 measuring once a day, as you well know the compaction in that storm was crazy.

If I remember correctly, there was a measurement of about 35 inches in East Providence and the snow was heavy and wet for a while overnight.  I suspect it would have been over 40 inches now.

Been since 2/16/15 that I have seen a real snowstorm....outside of that three week stretch, its been almost two years :lol:

Boston had four storms with 16-24" each during that period.  If that's the threshold for a real snowstorm, I've not seen one since Feb 2009.  I did see the aftermath of the Jan blizzard but not the storm itself, except in its mega-busted persona in SNJ.

Touched -12 this morning, not bad for 1st subzero of the season.  Ice has caught on Long Lake in Belgrade, which had only some tiny shoreline skim before last night.  Saw -20 for both BML and PQI.

Boston had four storms with 16-24" each during that period.  If that's the threshold for a real snowstorm, I've not seen one since Feb 2009.  I did see the aftermath of the Jan blizzard but not the storm itself, except in its mega-busted persona in SNJ.

Touched -12 this morning, not bad for 1st subzero of the season.  Ice has caught on Long Lake in Belgrade, which had only some tiny shoreline skim before last night.  Saw -20 for both BML and PQI.

...LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS PAST 12 HOURS ...LOCATION                     TEMP      TIME/DATE       PROVIDER...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...1 NW CLAYTON LAKE            -27 F     0720 AM 01/05   AWOSBIG BLACK RIVER              -27 F     0745 AM 01/05   USGSOXBOW - MCOOP                -24 F     0725 AM 01/05   COOPAROOSTOOK RIVER AT MASARDIS  -23 F     0730 AM 01/05   GOESESTCOURT STATION             -21 F     0800 AM 01/05   NWSPRESQUE ISLE AIRPORT         -20 F     0535 AM 01/05   AWOSNINE-MILE BRIDGE             -19 F     0730 AM 01/05   USGSDICKEY                       -18 F     0715 AM 01/05   USGSVAN BUREN                    -18 F     0710 AM 01/05   ME-CAR_MESOFOX BROOK                    -17 F     0220 AM 01/05   COOP1 SW FORT KENT               -13 F     0700 AM 01/05   ME-CAR_MESOFORT KENT                    -12 F     0737 AM 01/05   CWOP

Hopefully it stays. That lake was always hard to freeze up compared to great pond. Seems like the wind direction on long lake made it tough to freeze up, except for the shallow coves on the Rome end.

...LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS PAST 12 HOURS ...LOCATION                     TEMP      TIME/DATE       PROVIDER...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...1 NW CLAYTON LAKE            -27 F     0720 AM 01/05   AWOSBIG BLACK RIVER              -27 F     0745 AM 01/05   USGSOXBOW - MCOOP                -24 F     0725 AM 01/05   COOPAROOSTOOK RIVER AT MASARDIS  -23 F     0730 AM 01/05   GOESESTCOURT STATION             -21 F     0800 AM 01/05   NWSPRESQUE ISLE AIRPORT         -20 F     0535 AM 01/05   AWOSNINE-MILE BRIDGE             -19 F     0730 AM 01/05   USGSDICKEY                       -18 F     0715 AM 01/05   USGSVAN BUREN                    -18 F     0710 AM 01/05   ME-CAR_MESOFOX BROOK                    -17 F     0220 AM 01/05   COOP1 SW FORT KENT               -13 F     0700 AM 01/05   ME-CAR_MESOFORT KENT                    -12 F     0737 AM 01/05   CWOP

that should take care of most of the water bars on the trails.

Archived