Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was more surprised by MPM this morning, throwing in the towel on January 5th.

We have posters throw in the towel every single year in January when December goes bad. It's a timeless phenomenon on the weather forums.

Sometimes we end up with a ratter (see 2011-2012)...other times they look really silly and we have a big 2nd half (see last year and 2012-2013 for the coast).

what could cause this look southeast of florida rain moving north while it looks like rain is moving west from under it

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

I'll take a stab at it,anyone is free to correct me, when I was staying in Florida I noticed the low level moisture would tend to come in from the south east that's why you see the rip current statement on that map, meaning there is a strong onshore flow. Meanwhile if a storm system or frontal boundry was approaching from the west in the prevailing jet stream flow, I would see radar returns coming from two different directions.

Kevin is melting in the model thread. It's getting less subtle.

Again, how can I melt when I forecast a ratter..which looks like it was a good forecast this year. 

Am i Pissed this winter is shatting the bed? Of course I am..my favorite season of the year is being ruined. but I accepted that back in Oct/Nov. 

The ones that threw these snowy back half of winter forecasts out or bought into them are the ones that are going to have trouble.

BTW..how was that promising GFS op run you talked about in relation to GEFS?

Again, how can I melt when I forecast a ratter..which looks like it was a good forecast this year. 

The gefs also improved but not as dramatically. Keep it just cold enough for fun.

i hope not ... 

i hate those cold protracted springs that seem to always be apart of that 2nd half schit.   2nd half? fine - just don't 86 april and may and early june with bd's, cold nights and stunted budding...  two years in a row now we made may 20th out my way with only half leaf out, and still dropping to 40 at night routinely. 

it just more than merely seems that when 2nd halfs flip, they don't know when to end; and don't do any good for anything because ur not getting snow that late when that happens.  just misery 

i hope not ... 

i hate those cold protracted springs that seem to always be apart of that 2nd half schit.   2nd half? fine - just don't 86 april and may and early june with bd's, cold nights and stunted budding...  two years in a row now we made may 20th out my way with only half leaf out, and still dropping to 40 at night routinely. 

it just more than merely seems that when 2nd halfs flip, they don't know when to end; and don't do any good for anything because ur not getting snow that late when that happens.  just misery 

Most of the long range guys and energy mets end winter quickly early Morch and torch the summer thankfully as we go nino to nina. 

Most of the long range guys and energy mets end winter quickly early Morch and torch the summer thankfully as we go nino to nina. 

i know it's probably the last thing the majority wants to even contemplate... but if we ain't done it by Feb 10 i'm out - 

fuggit.  best spring ever was that 2012 when march was 10 to 15 on the plus side and trees were half out by april 15.  i remember forsythias and the smell of humid air, warm sun and bumble beez on march 1 that year.  ...least i think it was 2012?  one of those years there since 2009 was wicked, and the summer ended up pretty hot, too.   

not saying my present druthers don't include the opposite end of the spectrum, but it's put up or shut up, and i give 35 more days.  

oh, but we dream.  reality will most certainly fall short of those, per usual - 

i know it's probably the last thing the majority wants to even contemplate... but if we ain't done it by Feb 10 i'm out - 

fuggit.  best spring ever was that 2012 when march was 10 to 15 on the plus side and trees were half out by april 15.  i remember forsythias and the smell of humid air, warm sun and bumble beez on march 1 that year.  ...least i think it was 2012?  one of those years there since 2009 was wicked, and the summer ended up pretty hot, too.   

not saying my present druthers don't include the opposite end of the spectrum, but it's put up or shut up, and i give 35 more days.  

oh, but we dream.  reality will most certainly fall short of those, per usual - 

2012 set all the daily warmth records, but March 2010 was actually milder up here, because it had no cold.  March has gone subzero in 16-of-17 years here, but the bottom in 2010 was 11F.   Two years later, we touched -10 during the first week before hitting 80 during the taste-of-summer week.  That 90F span is the greatest I've had for any month since I began recording in the early 60s.

We have posters throw in the towel every single year in January when December goes bad. It's a timeless phenomenon on the weather forums.

Sometimes we end up with a ratter (see 2011-2012)...other times they look really silly and we have a big 2nd half (see last year and 2012-2013 for the coast).

I am sorry for my minimelt. I just turned 52 so you'd think I was a bit wiser. I'm feeling the heat because we leave for a month in savannah on feb 5.

Non sequitur...

I think we should have a gtg up north. Maybe a pub in Manchester or concord. Or maybe my house. Not abad drive for some of you southerners and we do retain pack well here

I am sorry for my minimelt. I just turned 52 so you'd think I was a bit wiser. I'm feeling the heat because we leave for a month in savannah on feb 5.

Non sequitur...

I think we should have a gtg up north. Maybe a pub in Manchester or concord. Or maybe my house. Not abad drive for some of you southerners and we do retain pack well here

Well that explains your concern for a slow first half even more. :lol:

Am i Pissed this winter is shatting the bed? Of course I am..my favorite season of the year is being ruined. but I accepted that back in Oct/Nov. 

The ones that threw these snowy back half of winter forecasts out or bought into them are the ones that are going to have trouble.

Stupid comment considering we are in early January.

Non sequitur...

I'd be willing to travel for it just not on a weekday. I could make it a weekend getaway to the north country with the pregnant wife. She could use it although she's an anti snow weenie. Plus the NNE crowd seems less insane than us...icould learn a thing or two.

No more stupid than calling for 40-70+ inches of snow the last 40 days of winter depending on locale in a year that doesn't want to snow

Thing is, no it isn't....that remains to be seen.

Which is why your comment is dumb.

PS: if anything, I have had an even better handle on the first half than you have, as evidenced by my use of the warmest December on record as primary monthly analog....well, second warmest now.

"In a year it doesn't want to snow"....you know, until it does.

Kind of reminds me of how March was now a torch month...you know, until it wasn't 3 years running now.

I'm not on record as predicting a blockbuster 2nd half like Ray is, but using persistence to forecast months (or years in the case of the March example) in advance is lazy and quite often wrong. If we had a static climate it would have more merit.

Kind of reminds me of how March was now a torch month...you know, until it wasn't 3 years running now.

I'm not on record as predicting a blockbuster 2nd half like Ray is, but using persistence to forecast months (or years in the case of the March example) in advance is lazy and quite often wrong. If we had a static climate it would have more merit.

Completely fair post.

Absolutely.

Well you are always one of the first to critique and criticize those enthusiasts that put forth an actual winter forecast with numbers, yet never submit one yourself . So it's kind of a Saturday evening QB until you put yourself out there as others do to be judged , right or wrong

Archived