Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

15 miles and 350 ft elevation made a real difference

Eh...that little elevation had no influence in this. The further N and E you went the longer you held the snow. Obviously there's some slightly higher amounts here and there and measuring differences. If you measure at the end the 1"+ of sleet is really going to weigh your snow down even though the snow was already of higher than normal density. I had about 1/4" of sleet on top of my snow core when I woke up to measure at 6a (SN began around 1145ish) and the total was 4.1" so I probably had about 4" of pure snow before the PL began pounding away at it.

Looks like we may stay below freezing right through tomorrow evening now and start that off with some -ZR/ZL? I haven't looked a lot at temp profiles yet...just crudely eyeballing maps.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wont it melt tomorrow? I'm not shoveling

Well I wanted to see what I have to deal with in a bigger storm and its formidable. I may buy a blower knowing I have t get it early on work days and whether the snow guy makes it on time. Will clarify before the next event but I also think we may get some zr or pl tonight with temps subfreezing so I decided not to chance it. Always fun being in a wintry scene...

4.5" of snow/sleet in Atkinson, NH...on the cold side of the coastal. Temp went briefly to 30º now down to 22º/20º with a NNE wind

Maybe 3.5" otg in Londonderry although it's compacted under the sleet now. Looks like the front made it to about Salem before slipping back se.

Well I wanted to see what I have to deal with in a bigger storm and its formidable. I may buy a blower knowing I have t get it early on work days and whether the snow guy makes it on time. Will clarify before the next event but I also think we may get some zr or pl tonight with temps subfreezing so I decided not to chance it. Always fun being in a wintry scene...

Good points. I was going to while the kids were trying out their new sleds, but decided not to. I had a feeling it would stay AOB freezing interior today and then tickle back into upper 20's tonight. I guess it's possible this stuff all won't melt since there's so much water in it..

I struggled shoveling the decks and sidewalks too. Don't want a congealed mess in the AM. Great to be outside though.

Hey wxniss..we moved. The hood is yours alone now.

I'm at 32/32. View through kitchen window about 5 minutes ago:attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ah that's too bad Jerry, I took comfort in having another weather addict so close by.

A really dense 1" and looks even more impressive when plowed.

Based on NAM/RGEM last night, I'm guessing around 1-1.25 water content?

37/37 drizzle

I think this is too heavy for my snow blower...would get clogged constantly and I'll snap some of those pins. People have also driven all over the 3" of sleet packing it down....so I guess I'll hope some of it melts tomorrow. Or live with this base for a long time.

Up to 30/29. Soon we drip?
-pl continues. About 2.5" otg, like moving wet sand.
I get to test the model Ariens snow blower I want to buy since I'm borrowing last years model from my neighbor. Should be a good test, lol.
Roads still quite slick here, even after plowing.

Pounding sleet and mangled flakes along with tiny snow grains. Pushing 5" of SN/PL.

18F

Similar results here. I measured 5" in many areas which consists of 4-4.5" of snow and the rest being sleet. I was at about 0.55" melted when I did my earlier core, but it's up near an inch now based on my most recent core. Great base building material!  22.1/18

Archived