Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 6.3” Snow/1.11” L.E.

The overnight snow appears to be associated with a decaying occluded frontal boundary as part of Winter Storm Goliath, so I’ll continue to roll accumulations into this event until a more obvious break appears prior to the next low pressure system that’s expected to affect the area tonight.  Accumulations on the board are sub 10% H2O now that sleet is out of the picture.  One of the more potent bands just came through to really bump up the snowfall and produce some flakes up to an inch in diameter, so there will be some additional accumulation to report as well:

30DEC15A.gif

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

We also nudged above freezing in the hills of NW CT.  I know *nobody* lives there and Western New England might not count, but just throwing it out there.  ;)   Back home in ENY finished with about 3" of snow/sleet, and then a light glaze.  Temps right around freezing, but not too icy at the moment.    At least this got most of us off the bench as far as snow accumulations this season.

Temp and dew point temp have been rising all day in WMA.

At my 9P obs last night, we'd had 7.0" on 0.93" LE.  The initial 1.5" (reported to cocorahs at 7A) was 15:1 fluff.  The remainder had a ratio of 6.6.  No ZR, no IP, max temp of 13° - pure sugar, as fatiguing for walking as a foot of powder.  Another dusting overnight, then some -SN this morning.  Appears to be winding down here in AUG after 2 hr brought maybe 1/4".

Just did the mile dog walk loop. Took twice the usual time given the footing. Snow otg seems impenetrable.          

This event was nearly 51 yr ago, but still a vivid memory.  NYC temps:

1/22/65...50...30......0.......0

1/23/65...47...24...0.64...1.0

1/24/65...32...24...0.51...2.2

12:01 high with falling temps overnight.  Ra switched to IP about dawn and continued all day as temps fell into the upper teens in NNJ.  (I was home on semester break and eagerly endured the stuff for a Sat/Sun of icefishing.)  Sunday saw an early change to ZR with temps rising slowly thru the 20s.  We ended with about 1/3" ice atop 3" IP.  Since I had no creepers, the only way I could walk uphill from lakeside was to heel-stomp every step, sometimes taking several stomps to make an impression.  Neighbor kids laced up their skates and were gliding around their back yards, only time I saw that - we'd had other, greater, ice events, but never with a subfloor so solid and thick enough to bury the grass.

Archived