joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? 28.8 here at the Pit, high of the day.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMASHELB3#history

Fog is thickening as is the glaze that's steadily building up. Trees quickly getting the 'winter wonderland' look to them.

Yeah that warmer air is west of the spine closer to the NY border where temperatures have risen into the mid 30's

Looks like GYX was a snow hole, just 4.7"

But it's 6.6:1 almost snow making kind of snow.

Same ratio I had for the stuff that fell after 7 AM yesterday.  Though I was in AUG all day, I saw no evidence of any IP at home last evening when I was clearing off the car (the Subaru had stayed in the driveway all day) or the porch steps, just sugar.  Maybe that ratio change marked when the warming aloft reached southern Franklin.

Same ratio I had for the stuff that fell after 7 AM yesterday.  Though I was in AUG all day, I saw no evidence of any IP at home last evening when I was clearing off the car (the Subaru had stayed in the driveway all day) or the porch steps, just sugar.  Maybe that ratio change marked when the warming aloft reached southern Franklin.

Wouldn't surprise me. We did have sleet here, but not a lot honestly. There was freezing drizzle too, as my car was iced up on the north side. But mostly it was just pixie dust snowfall all evening that probably had terrible ratios.

Plus you have people that call and say, "I have 6 inches here in X town" but you really have no idea if they mean it looks like 6 inches or I estimate 6 inches, when it's actually 4.5.

Haha, that's why I always try to send a photo in with my reports to BTV.  I notice sometimes if I send a report without a photo it says "Public" but if I send a photo of one of the mountain snow boards or my backyard snow board my report will say "Trained Spotter."  lol.

Who doesn't love a good FZFG glaze?

Yeah talk about wintery appeal....not sure anything does it better than a good riming event.  The type of stuff that turns evergreens into snow ghosts on the upper mountain. 

Like a mix of freezing fog and -SN drizzle.  If there ever was a snow drizzle, it was last night.  It dropped an inch of really dense small flakes that stuck to everything and just helped the rime accumulate.  Then another inch of fluffier stuff fell this morning with good snow growth showers. 

The end result is a scene that is about as aesthetically pleasing to a winter lover as it can get.

Never got higher than 33 at my house today..was in Waterbury most of the day they never got above 36. 32 and incredible fog right now... Can't believe how much sleet I got the other night. I will post pic when I get on laptop, all said it was just over 2" of it with zr to solidify. Nearly grass cancel with sleet!

Event totals: 6.6” Snow/1.12” L.E.

This morning’s accumulations should mark the end of Winter Storm Goliath, since the snow from this afternoon appears to be associated with the next low pressure system to affect the area.  So the above totals represent the final numbers for the storm at our site.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 34.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Archived