joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The west side of the hills are a fair amount warmer than the east today.  No drips here yet.

Yep, no doubt. I actually held below freezing until just a few hours ago actually on the west slope of the greens.

Most on the east side of the greens/berks are socked in pretty well at or below 32F

I live in a cold part of Enfield, not sure why that is. There is no freezing rain/ice accumulation 1 mile south of where I live and beyond to work in South Windsor. North of here there is ice accumulation into Massachusetts.

In this particular situation, the 32 line was right over the middle of town so northern and western sections had more ice accumulation. The eastern side of town south of the Scantic tends to warm a bit quicker and it seems like Somers and Ellington down to SW can run a degree or two warmer in cold air drainage situations, with another colder pocket once you hit the Ridgeline near Kevin.

In this particular situation, the 32 line was right over the middle of town so northern and western sections had more ice accumulation. The eastern side of town south of the Scantic tends to warm a bit quicker and it seems like Somers and Ellington down to SW can run a degree or two warmer in cold air drainage situations, with another colder pocket once you hit the Ridgeline near Kevin.

I live at Raffia/Welch and the dividing line between ice/none was Post Office Road/Town Farm Road, with some icing down along Simon Road to Route 140. South of route 140 there is 0% ice on any surface all the way south to South Windsor.

It was interesting driving home last night with soggy and melting snow all the way to Route 140 and then it was like entering an ice castle environment the last mile or so home.

Looks like GYX was a snow hole, just 4.7"

But it's 6.6:1 almost snow making kind of snow.

Yes it was, We were 4.8" here, But when i look at surrounding reports, Totals were much higher in some cases, Some of the model runs over the last couple of days showed this as well over this area

Yes it was, We were 4.8" here, But when i look at surrounding reports, Totals were much higher in some cases, Some of the model runs over the last couple of days showed this as well over this area

It's somewhat surprising, as you would expect this storm would be the type to come in under reported when people stick a ruler in the ground in the morning with compacted snow.

It's somewhat surprising, as you would expect this storm would be the type to come in under reported when people stick a ruler in the ground in the morning with compacted snow.

True, I know we pelted pretty early here (13z), Wondering if some measured before the IP or they stayed out of it longer? It was kind of strange to see like for instance in Greene, They had 7.0" and they are literally 5 mi tops from here, I'm sure it would be real easy to see on an observed snowfall map

I live at Raffia/Welch and the dividing line between ice/none was Post Office Road/Town Farm Road, with some icing down along Simon Road to Route 140. South of route 140 there is 0% ice on any surface all the way south to South Windsor.

It was interesting driving home last night with soggy and melting snow all the way to Route 140 and then it was like entering an ice castle environment the last mile or so home.

I'm about 2.5 miles north of you just north of 220.

True, I know we pelted pretty early here (13z), Wondering if some measured before the IP or they stayed out of it longer? It was kind of strange to see like for instance in Greene, They had 7.0" and they are literally 5 mi tops from here, I'm sure it would be real easy to see on an observed snowfall map

Maybe it just highlighted the good measurement techniques versus the bad ones.

Interesting that there is now a freezing rain advisory for Litchfield, and to my north in Massachusetts, but not Enfield where everything is still coated in ice. :axe:

Temps are 32-33 across town, so its marginal. BDL is 31 however with freezing fog. 32 and lower temps look more scattered in northern hfd as opposed to more widespread to the north where the advisory is.

Yes, Find the highest drift, I was going to mention in a pot hole as well, Or the slanted ruler affect........lol

Plus you have people that call and say, "I have 6 inches here in X town" but you really have no idea if they mean it looks like 6 inches or I estimate 6 inches, when it's actually 4.5.

2pm with BOS at 29, mpm 6-8F warmer.

What?   28.8 here at the Pit, high of the day.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMASHELB3#history

Fog is thickening as is the glaze that's steadily building up.  Trees quickly getting the 'winter wonderland' look to them.

Archived