Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible job by all model guidance on sfc temps. Really only the BTV WRF showed the cold not moving over interior. The 06z nam had ORH near freezing for 12z. A 6 hour forecast.

But the model failure at the sfc isn't a surprise. That was fairly predictable. It is still amazing how fast they insist on warming up the interior though every time.

What a horrible job by all model guidance on sfc temps. Really only the BTV WRF showed the cold not moving over interior. The 06z nam had ORH near freezing for 12z. A 6 hour forecast.

But the model failure at the sfc isn't a surprise. That was fairly predictable. It is still amazing how fast they insist on warming up the interior though every time.

The HRRR even at a 12 or 15 hour lead time did a really nice job. Was the only one that had anything worthwhile. 

NAM was OK... the rest atrocious... though that's always the way these things go. 

I'm telling ya, bTV wrf is pretty good with details like that. Look what it does this evening. Classic tickle tuck.

I'm not sure what they were showing for warming, but it's warming up in CT--a lot of interior stations (particularly east of the Ct. River) are above 30 and in some cases above freezing.

Temps steadily ticking up here, too.

22.7*

sn-

The NAM is supposed to handle mesoscale stuff like that. I don't know why it was so warm at the surface. HRRR did do well though.

I feel like when we always know the models will dislodge the cold too quickly these events are not too hard to forecast. At least we know the model bias works every time!

The NAM is supposed to handle mesoscale stuff like that. I don't know why it was so warm at the surface. HRRR did do well though.

I remember the nam got an "upgrade" around 2012 and ever since then it has not been nearly as good at showing CAD as it used to. Even back in the days of the 2008 ice storm it was excellent at showing that stuff. But now it has really just turned into another meh model for mesoscale CAD.

That BTV WRF is really the one to use now. Or HRRR once close enough to te event.

At least for this event the SREFs did pretty well. I kept an eye out on the SREF BUFKIT profiles and they all had a really good handle / tight clustering on the mid level warmth.

RGEM did well in this too. It has become very good once inside 36h. It showed the sfc colder than the nam...and showed the mid level warmth as well.

I remember the nam got an "upgrade" around 2012 and ever since then it has not been nearly as good at showing CAD as it used to. Even back in the days of the 2008 ice storm it was excellent at showing that stuff. But now it has really just turned into another meh model for mesoscale CAD.

That BTV WRF is really the one to use now. Or HRRR once close enough to te event.

I thought it was a little odd that the 4km NAM-WRF really didn't show the cold any better than the 12 km version. You'd expect the increased resolution to help. 

Archived