• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 28-30th Storm Obs Thread

dryslot

Nice signature of refreezing in the ZDR field from KBOX. If you look at the 2.4/3.4 degree elevation scans, you can see the outer ring of enhanced ZDR associated with the melting layer, and an inner ring of slightly enhanced ZDR.

We think that inner enhancement is due to the preferential freezing of smaller raindrops first; the larger raindrops (more oblate with higher ZDR) therefore contribute more to the returned ZDR by remaining liquid at the height of the radar beam. The smaller and more spherical frozen drops (with lower ZDR) contribute less to the total ZDR because ice scatters less power back to the radar than liquid water.

post-869-0-46731900-1451386305_thumb.png

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why would the layer in between the inner and outer circle be lower ZDR? Because that's all liquid and no ice?

Yeah because there are likely many small (and thus nearly spherical) raindrops below the melting layer that have ZDR close to 0 dB. The total returns to the radar are therefore dominated by the scattering from the many small raindrops so the radar sees the total ZDR signal as close to the value for the small drops. Effectively, the larger, higher ZDR raindrops are masked by the many smaller ones until the smaller ones freeze and return less power back to the radar.

If I am seeing it right looking at my snow stick in the dark it looks like 4-5 inches with light mixed precip now

Pounding sleet here. 4.1" new...0.68" from a core. This is dense shiat. I'm glad I stayed up for it to start to actually see snow falling. Growth sucked then and it definitely sucks now.

Pounding sleet here. 4.1" new...0.68" from a core. This is dense shiat. I'm glad I stayed up for it to start to actually see snow falling. Growth sucked then and it definitely sucks now.

CoCoRAHS report near you showing the opposite, like 6" of snow out of 4/10th of an inch QPF. I was wondering if you guys were getting better ratios, it's dense over here too.

CoCoRAHS report near you showing the opposite, like 6" of snow out of 4/10th of an inch QPF. I was wondering if you guys were getting better ratios, it's dense over here too.

I'll guess CON had 0.35"ish near the flip. That's about 3-3.5" of dense warm tongue snow. They're at 0.66" now so that's about another 1" or so...4-4.5" then? Will be curious to see what the "airport" total is.

MWN at 8.7F. That's got to be why I'm seeing some small flakes mixed in). Just measured 4.2" on the deck, and tried to get a core with the most cylindrical glass I have (totally unofficial) but appears to be between 0.5 and 0.6" qpf. Temp 15.4 @ 1100', 18.1@ 700', 13.1@1800'

Nice...that at least backs my numbers up a bit even though your numbers are crude.

Event totals: 4.3” Snow/0.56” L.E.

Snow started up here a bit after midnight, and it’s very dense stuff comprised of small flakes.  Density of this morning’s stack from the snowboard was 13.0% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 4.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.56 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 7.7

Snow Density: 13.0% H2O

Temperature: 19.9 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

Archived