Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

H2O

Flu shots are overrated.  

I sorta agree. Haven't took a 'flu' shot in 15+ years. This year about a month ago I actually got sick with flu-like stuff that lasted about 48 hours and cost me one days work (off the other). That is the first time I've had something 'fluish' since the last time I took a flu shot 15 years ago. And the previous 5-8 years before that when I did take the shot seemed I got the flu every other year.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people don't know the difference between influenza and a cold, so it bothers the hell out of me when people say that the flu shot is worthless because they still get sick even if they the the shot. Well...no s*it! If the shot were to be a vaccine against everything, then it wouldn't be called the "flu shot."

Of course the flu mutates, and the shot can't protect you against all forms of the virus. But isn't it smarter to get the vaccine, even if it only protects you against 50% of the strains? I'd take those odds any day.

Most people don't know the difference between influenza and a cold, so it bothers the hell out of me when people say that the flu shot is worthless because they still get sick even if they the the shot. Well...no s*it! If the shot were to be a vaccine against everything, then it wouldn't be called the "flu shot."

Of course the flu mutates, and the shot can't protect you against all forms of the virus. But isn't it smarter to get the vaccine, even if it only protects you against 50% of the strains? I'd take those odds any day.

This man speaks truth.

I agree on people not knowing the difference, but I don't necessarily agree on the flu shot.

I've never had one and have had the flu once in 20 years. And....I work in a veritable Petri dish called public schools. Now if there was a true vaccine that could protect me completely, yeah, I'm in. While there might be some benefit to be gained from the shot, I think most of the benefit goes to the manufacturer of the shot.

I agree on people not knowing the difference, but I don't necessarily agree on the flu shot.

I've never had one and have had the flu once in 20 years. And....I work in a veritable Petri dish called public schools. Now if there was a true vaccine that could protect me completely, yeah, I'm in. While there might be some benefit to be gained from the shot, I think most of the benefit goes to the manufacturer of the shot.

You're just one sample among hundreds of millions (at least). It's awesome that you pretty much never get the flu, but that sample only directly applies to you. I never really got the flu before I started getting the shot, but I'm happy for the extra dose of potential immunity. Young kids and older folks (or those with compromised immune systems) can benefit greatly from it.

If you get it for free or you're already in one of the buckets of folks more likely to get sick.  Otherwise, getting the flu shot, IMO, doesn't really get you much.  But I'm also biased as I rarely get even a cold, none the less anything that resembles the flu.

The shot is generally free now if you have insurance and the flu kills thousands of people per year. It's a no brainer to get it.

Well my flu lasted a little over 24 hours. Meaning that the fever broke early this morning.

The last flu I had was in 2003, passed onto me by a co-worker who didn't know why he was alternating between shivering and sweating. I nicknamed him Typhoid Jack, when I came down with the flu 2 days later (and 4 days prior to a 7 day cruise.)

From that point on, I decided to get the shot. Since then I've watched co-workers, family and friends struggle through influenza misery, while I've happily carried the load for them.

As wrung out as I've been, it's not overly surprising I picked up the bug during the holidays.

However, I believe the shot I got in early November stunted the virus and it's longevity.

To those who never get the flu, I envy you. Apparently, you don't have any Typhoid (enter name here) in your lives!

BTW, I still feel like I ran a 25 mile marathon yesterday, but at least I'm not feeling the fever chills and aches!

The shot is generally free now if you have insurance and the flu kills thousands of people per year. It's a no brainer to get it.

Nothing is free. The company's making the vaccine are making millions off of it.

Certain segments of a population are at risk from the flu, but the flu isn't deadly for most. I'm sure I'm not in a minority because I don't choose to get a flu shot.

Nothing is free. The company's making the vaccine are making millions off of it.

Certain segments of a population are at risk from the flu, but the flu isn't deadly for most. I'm sure I'm not in a minority because I don't choose to get a flu shot.

Not sure why it's a bad thing that the companies make money off it. It's a small fraction of their revenue relative to other drugs.

Not deadly for most but still thousands die per year in the US alone. And if you're not vaccinated, you have a better chance of being a carrier and infecting someone at more risk than yourself.

Not sure why it's a bad thing that the companies make money off it. It's a small fraction of their revenue relative to other drugs.

Not deadly for most but still thousands die per year in the US alone. And if you're not vaccinated, you have a better chance of being a carrier and infecting someone at more risk than yourself.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing that they make money off it, even though I think in general we are being fleeced by pharmaceutical companies and the health care profession. I do think the benefits are over stated which is logical...they are trying to move a product. I'm also sure there are some benefits. The reality is probably that the vaccine, while helpful in some ways, isn't nearly as vital as many think.

Well my flu lasted a little over 24 hours. Meaning that the fever broke early this morning.

However, I believe the shot I got in early November stunted the virus and it's longevity.

To those who never get the flu, I envy you. Apparently, you don't have any Typhoid (enter name here) in your lives!

An often overlooked advantage to getting the shot.

WXUSAF said:

Good point too.

Archived