joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured as much from some of his posts but what does global warming have to do with a discussion about the january pattern? So it might be 25 instead of 24 at some point? He usually makes no sense.

Was feeling the need to formally rebuttal this. Yes, that post was a reference to global warming but it is far from trolling in that it is based in truth. We can continue to rely on extreme blocking setups for big snowfalls but eventually it will not be enough. This winter, Canada is severely depleted as a cold source region due to a two-pronged effect of strong el nino and AGW.

If you really cared about snow, you would be enthusiastic about recognizing climate change and taking steps to mitigate. Afterall, there were crocodiles in DC during the Pliocene, that kind of environment is not far off. Albeit, nature will not adapt overnight to those conditions.

You have to really take it all in and analyze the situation through a big picture mindset rather than living day to day waiting for snow TV.

Was feeling the need to formally rebuttal this. Yes, that post was a reference to global warming but it is far from trolling in that it is based in truth. We can continue to rely on extreme blocking setups for big snowfalls but eventually it will not be enough. This winter, Canada is severely depleted as a cold source region due to a two-pronged effect of strong el nino and AGW.

If you really cared about snow, you would be enthusiastic about recognizing climate change.

I'll bet the NYC and Philly forums would welcome you with open arms.

If you really cared about snow, you would be enthusiastic about recognizing climate change and taking steps to mitigate. Afterall, there were crocodiles in DC during the Pliocene, that kind of environment is not far off. Albeit, nature will not adapt overnight to those conditions.

You have to really take it all in and analyze the situation through a big picture mindset rather than living day to day waiting for snow TV.

You probably should be more concerned with another world War occurring in your lifetime opposed to the return of he crocodiles.

I'd like to respond too. First (and yep, I'm breaking the rules myself speaking of rogue mods and no oversight with your continuous posting of whatever it happens to be called this week in the 'non climate change' forum), yep, this is a right trashy pattern this year. Sorta reminds me of Dec 1982....speaking of which what happened the very next year (1983)? Yeah, epic. As anyone that is labeled a 'denier' has heard, this is weather. If you are alive in 50 years and we have 40 Decembers like this one in that time, you MAY have an argument, otherwise, take it back where it belongs in that forum discussion. If you don't want to do that, then take yourself back to the region that you should be in and let the rogue mod's deal with you there.

It is also crystal clear that most here love cold and snow and that will never change in any of our lifetimes and you have no control over changing that fact.

I don't know how this is related to the discussion. I confess that I enjoy my fair share of snow and cold. Perhaps this is simply not the right place if people will become emotionally defensive about it. In recent years,

I have felt honored to be a weather enthusiast during a time of extremes in the climate system. Deep down, I feel guilty about deriving pleasure from AGW so I have to be honest about the implications in the long-run.

Remember my long posts about 09-10 record snowfall being caused by AGW? I still believe this 100%. Getting upset over AGW as a weather enthusiast means you are either a victim of denier propaganda or you falsely believe that AGW will cause your snowfall climatology to decrease. However, I'm just pointing out that while we have entered a sweet spot among the forcings, we may leave this phase soon and experience non-linear response and different patterns than what existed as recently as the 2000s/early 2010s.

It's a very intricate picture but I hope you can gather the moral of the story.

We just had 2 above normal snow seasons with virtually no blocking. You still aren't making any sense. It's as if you think focusing on the current weather means ignoring global warming. I'm not a climate change denier and I would support efforts to stop it but that doesn't mean we can't also look at january and talk about the pattern. And if your implying AGW has gotten to the point that we can no longer get snow without a crazy blocking or in some other way rediculous anomaly then you are just plain nuts. Snow here is a bit of an anomaly to begin with so it always takes an anomalous pattern or luck but no more so now then before. At least not to a great degree. Now if your predicting that over time it will get incrementally harder for us to get snow then I'm open to that discussion but your timescale seems way off.

We just had 2 above normal snow seasons with virtually no blocking. You still aren't making any sense. It's as if you think focusing on the current weather means ignoring global warming. I'm not a climate change denier and I would support efforts to stop it but that doesn't mean we can't also look at january and talk about the pattern. And if your implying AGW has gotten to the point that we can no longer get snow without a crazy blocking or in some other way rediculous anomaly then you are just plain nuts. Snow here is a bit of an anomaly to begin with so it always takes an anomalous pattern or luck but no more so now then before. At least not to a great degree. Now if your predicting that over time it will get incrementally harder for us to get snow then I'm open to that discussion but your timescale seems way off.

This is false, we had a record -EPO during last winter.

guys. he is going to throw AGW into every conversation. get used to it. 

It should be in the center of your discussion, you have a young child.

This is false, we had a record -EPO during last winter.

It should be in the center of your discussion, you have a young child.

Usually when someone on here says blocking they mean high latitude blocking in the AO or NAO domain. If you mean blocking as any anomalous heights in any region then sure but the good news is there is anomalous heights in some region 90% of the time the only question is where. Your definition of blocking seems a little too broad. Again your post implied that agw has made it almost impossible to get snow here without relying on anomalous blocking. I'm contending that either 1. By normal definitions of blocking that is false, or 2. By youre broad definition of blocking it's not that unusual. Sure without any help from the nao, AO, pna, or epo we aren't getting snow but how is that different now due to agw then it's ever been? Find me a great snowfall period where all those indexes were against us. Would love some fact based evidence to support your claims.

Archived